Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Chick down colour: MASTERCLASS!!!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:58 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:27 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Sounds like he could have come from either of the two pens then. A hen somewhere is hiding some barring!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:29 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

To me, it looks more like autosomal barring, than sex-linked barring - if you replace the lavender with black, and the beige with brown/red - then this looks rather like a conventional Campine-style autosomal barred wing. Sex linked barring should produce alternations in pattern between between gold and white.

I would agree that it looks e+ (duckwing) or maybe eb based.

This would also be consistent with one of the brothers being barred (hens can't be 'split' for sex-linked barring aka cuckoo - as they only have one copy of the gene. So they either have or don't have cuckoo - on blue and maybe lavender base though, a hen could be cuckoo but the barring may be indistinct enough for this not to be noticeable. Cockerels can be 'split' (heterozygous) for cuckoo - but as sex-linked barring is dominant, such cockerels would also appear cuckoo (with the same cautions applying with blue and lavender).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:35 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I get cuckoo and barring a bit mixed up. I was going by the rule of non barred roo over barred hen giving barred roos and non barred hen offspring ie roos only need one dose to show. As you can tell I am still very green on genetic subjects :lol: I'm a little confused now :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:46 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

At the risk of sounding silly would a lavender creole look similar to this bird?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:55 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Cuckoo and Barring are the same gene (B) the difference is put down to the rate of feather growth.
Those with Barring have the slow feathering gene (K) which gives a sharper line between the colour and the White.

Autosomal barring is seperate from Barring (B), of the top of my head Autosomal barring is a modified type of pencilling.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:20 pm 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

Quote:
I was going by the rule of non barred roo over barred hen giving barred roos and non barred hen offspring ie roos only need one dose to show.

That's exactly right.

Htul, now that I go back and look at the photo I think you're right, it looks like there's cream between the lavender bars rather than white, which would suggest autosomal barring, because sex-linked barring gives white stripes. Autosomal barring is a modified form of pencilling. Pg and Db if I recall correctly, and no Co which is needed to make lacing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:02 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Then could I presume his father is the partridge araucana who would be carrying lavender or could this appear in the lavender pen?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:10 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

ImageImage

I think the above one is very Lavender Quail like (melanised columbian restricted). The chick's light face looks more like phaeomelanin (cream-straw colour because of lav gene) than white/cream of E or ER chick down. Because of the 'possible' darkish wide stripe down the back (& maybe remnant eye stripe - I can't see?) - heavily melanised, phaeomelanin face and light day-old leg colour, then adult plumage and leg colour, I think one possibility is e+ Co id+/id+ plus eumelanisers. Another possibility is ER Db Co id+/id+ plus eumelanisers.

p.s. I used to have some Lavender Quail-like Araucana bantams. I segregated e+ from a hen I tested.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:50 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

The thumbnails that KazJaps has posted above belong to Lockit.

I have placed a link to this thread into their associated photo details in the Gallery. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:10 am 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

Here are some freshly hatched cuckoo Pekin chicks with increasing degrees of melanisation. Apologies for the different poses, they wouldn't keep still.

Light melanisation:

Medium melanisation:

Dark melanisation:

Note that in all cases the white head-spot is evident.

And a wheaten chick:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:42 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Hi Sharilyn,

you may find the darker cuckoo is E based and the lighter ER? Extended black and birchen, cuckoo works fine on both. I find in my light bar rocks E is the best although i think there are some ER in the mix.

BR

Christian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:04 pm 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

Cheers Christian! As far as I am aware, black in Pekins is ER based, but I have suspicions regarding the purity of my black hens' lineage, so they may either be heterozygous at their E allele or else missing some melanisers.

I am putting the darkest black pullets back to their dark cuckoo father. He is one of Kevin Adam's birds and very handsome. Hopefully this will improve the black and the crispness of the cuckoo from that pen. Here's hoping number 3 is a pullet!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:45 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

:arrow: bump

it is getting to this time of year again :thumbs:

Please post obscure looking chick downs and if they make it please post pics of adults.

Cheers

Christian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:04 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Chicken07 wrote:
Thanks again. I see when going back through the thread that Rollyard has posted an example of leakage on other parts of the body:
[/quote]
ruff wrote:
some blacks with dominant white are more leaky than others (lots of black spots), i think it is the melanizers. i have not notized dominant white (Ii) being leaky on ewh or e+ though in the chicken down, this leakiness comes as they start getting their other feathers.

Here's some hom S (whereas Rollyard has het S males and s+ females)
E (or E^R?) / e+ S/ I/i+ Seems there's less leakage than the gold based, yes?
*link missing*

Post subject: Different Chick Downs
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:52 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi all, I had my first hatch of the season last week and have a couple of questions about chick down.

The first lot are pretty stock standard black and blue Australorps as I remember them;

The next ones (I don't remember seeing this type before) have a lot more light/white down on top of their heads.
Do they just have less melanisers? Are they on ER?
Maybe I have had them before and just don't remember without taking photos.

The next three are Silver Laced Wyandottes.

In the bottom photo the one in the middle I think is a blue,(father is a blue laced silver) is this the only difference between it and the one on the right? Does it have Co/Co or could it be a male female thing?
I always get the odd really dark one like the one on the left, is there something missing or is it hom. for Ml?
I keep thinking of more questions as I try and type the last one so id better stop.

Richard

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next