Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - What are you planting this winter?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:43 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:28 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I was able to plant my garlic the other day after finally completing a new coop + run to keep the chooks out of the vege garden. Ended up planting 205 garlic, 140 of which are tasmanian purple from last years crop and about 65 Italian white which I'm trying for the first time this year. Thinking about planting some tomatoes too and maybe carrots.

What are you growing over autumn/winter this year?

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:10 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

We're experimenting with some basil, sage, dill and coriander in the vege patch - to see how it goes over winter. I have hundreds of parsley plants self-sown from the bushes from last year, so they're going to be moved around, again to see where they do best.
We're also trying a couple of new varieties of peas & beans to see how they go.

Success will depend on how much rain vs. sun we get this winter. When it rains here nothing dries for days so many plants just rot in the ground. Very frustrating when you finally have a great crop of green beans almost ready to pick and then the rain comes in and in a couple of days the beans are all brown and yukky looking.

Other than that I am still trying to get my groundcover back after it was nearly wiped out by chook attack 6months ago. They dig these plants and only eat the roots, or eat the runners with new plants on them.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:06 am 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

I've got a new garden bed on the sunny side of the house, which has done brilliantly for our summer crops. So I've planted seedlings of broad beans, snow peas, garlic, broccoli, mini caulis and cabbages, lettuce, and leeks. Watching to see how the thyme, fennel, tarragon, mints (spear, native, and vietnamese), pigface and rhubarb go. Permanent population of purple and fat bastard asparagus crowns gone in.

In the next bed to be sown, which already has an asparagus plant for which I have very high hopes this coming spring, I've put seeds of romanesco broccoli, purple cauliflower, carrot (I have NO luck with carrots but I love them so I keep trying), and random kales. And something else I can't remember so I'm sure I'll find out when they come up ...

Third bed has seedlings of carrot and white onion, transplanted self-seeded coriander, strawberries, and broad beans. I think.

Still to be sown is more kale, carrot, cabbage, snow peas, lettuces, onions, spring onions, mizuma, tatsoi, bok choy, choy sum. Still got three beds to be done although one is going to be chook-dug first and one will be sown with green manure (maybe), so really just one.

Then there's the new chook forage crops, experimental beds, berry beds and orchard trees.

I need more weekends ...

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:16 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

This morning I broadcast some legume seed onto one of the raised beds:

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:26 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

That sucks about the rain killing off your crops Mummy, our soil is really rock hard clay loam that would have water sit on it before but I've remedied one of the beds by using the double dig method and adding gypsum after the digging, drains beautifully now but it was a lot of hard work to dig it all up.
Wow that's quite a list Info :o I hope to have a list like that one day but I will need to prepare more beds by digging them like my current garlic bed.
Good to see the shields are up cackles :rofl: you just wait I bet the chooks are planning a mission impossible style decent from above to get into the goodies :P

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:06 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

First Mr Holland, what on earth are you going to do with all that garlic!?

Second question, i am thinking of doing raised beds and wouldn't mind some advice. I was planning on having them sitting on concrete, but it seems to be forever raining so i was wondering about drainage if i do that? Apprecaite any tips, also, do you know how long i should leave fresh horse manure for before i plant things in it?

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:44 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

We are going to eat it of course :P some will be saved for next years planting too though.
On concrete? It would really depend on how deep your raised beds will be I suppose, if they are deep enough then they should be fine, how deep were you thinking of making them? And again it depends on what your planning on planting in the horse manure? Things like tomatoes, pumpkin and zucchinis can be planted into it straight away, but for things like onions, garlic and carrots it would be best left to rot in the bed for a season first. Or grow one of the above mentioned crops in it then plant your other stuff in it after it has been harvested.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:03 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

i was thinking of a couple of feet deep - don't want to have to bend down that far and being that high will hopefully keep the dogs out of them! also i had hoped to do some root veggies so wanted to make sure they had sufficient depth to grow. I have an unlimited supply so i guess i could make them deeper if neccessary

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:41 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Quote:
do you know how long i should leave fresh horse manure for before i plant things in it?

Is it stable manure or from the paddock?
Do you know what the main type of feed fed to the horses?

I get manure from horses owned by a friend on acreage. That picked up from the sandy corral is fairly free of standing vegetation and potential weed seeds, that from the paddock can have some weeds in it. Most of it goes to my worm farms. If I don't use it there or in compost bins I empty it into a waterproof wheelbarrow or crate, add water and strain the liquid through flyscreen. The squeezed out material left is still good for worm farms or deep in pots or burying deeper into your vegie bed. If you see weed seeds in the strainer you may like to dump these.

Stable manure can have quite a bit of urine soaked into the bedding material that is usually mixed in with it. If you are prepared to pull out weeds you can plant straight into any but very concentrated horsepoo. I suggest that until you know what weed seeds it may contain that you try to limit where you spread it. Composting it is a good idea if you can. :)

Oh, I've just come home from the B store with some more vegetable seedlings. Will take pics for my own record, as usual and may get around to adding more to this thread later. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:53 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Aother problem with using horse manure that has not been composted is to make sure the horses have not been drenched or anything else prior to its use.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:08 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Yes, my friends separate out the output for a week after worming their horses so I don't use that in the worm farms. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:26 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

they are racehorses, combination of long term residents plus day visitors for racing. i can try and find out what they are fed. I was thinking it might have seeds in, so thought i might spread it out on a spare patch i have and set the chookies to work, or am i being a bit too simplistic?

so what did you buy today?

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:57 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Mr. Holland wrote:
Wow that's quite a list Info :o I hope to have a list like that one day but I will need to prepare more beds by digging them like my current garlic bed.

It's taken 6 years, two of which have had miserable damp summers which have, however, encouraged moisture retention in the dreadful clay and excellent growth. There's been a LOT of trial and error and experimentation and swearing. I put in a lot because I lose a lot, often due to not remembering to water or fertilise. So it's getting there ...

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:23 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

were still thinking of a winter crop,
last weekend we only just removed our tomotos, still getting fruit off them we were
lots of green ones sitting to rippen as we speak

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:50 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Broccolli, cabbage, carrots, silverbeet, choy Ive upped the amount of broccoli this year as we went through the stuff I froze last year way to fast. Putting some leeks in, and Ive still got capsicum growing from over summer
There is always herbs growing spring onion and chilli bushes that I dont really use but they/re pretty and I cant seem to kill them easily.
The chooks have wheat and lucerne in part of one bed and Im still thinking of what else I can put in to fill some spots. I think I got banned from beetroot this year as last year we had lots! Baked with other vegies or grated and added to a variety of dishes it was endless.... and very pink lol

Last edited by Blackdog on Fri May 04, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.