Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Winter crop to follow chicken tractor on Raised Beds

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:51 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:21 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

rwood wrote:
For the raised beds,

The timber I had was 60yo Hardwood beams (125mm x 50mm (or '5x2's)) from a house demolition that had been stored for about 10 years under some corrugated iron. It had done all the wearthering it was ever going to do. It is so hard i couldnt drive a nail into it.

But, i also painted the bottom and inside with some non-toxic'rubber paint' waterproofer. I used galvanised angle iron, screwed into the inside corners to secure it (using 50mm long galvanised roof screws).

Once assembled. I laid it out level and ran clear plastic sheet around the inside and tucked it out under the walls, so that water and soil would not sit against the timber on the inside and it is effectively sitting on the plastic sheet, so water should run away. It should last for about 10 years? by then I can build new ones.

You can use treated pine sleepers (~$10 each?). It is 2 timbers high, so you need 4 long timbers and 4 short ends (which you would imagine would be half the length of the long ones for ease of cutting). So 3 meters by 1.5m? Make the dimensions fit what you have at hand.

You are right to be concerend about termites, and yes, termites might like my timber, but i will have to take that chance. Treated Pine should be termite proof.

For the Coop
I never actually drew anything more than scribble designs, and made it up along the way. Its best I show you pictures. Again I used old hardwood mostly and some radiata pine for the inside.

It was pretty simple. I housed all my joints for strength, but really that was because i wanted to practice woodworking skills. I am a begginer with a chisel.

I have some good construction pictures. Let me get them together and I will post a new thread. Heres one to whet your appetite. :wink:

I am happy to pass as much info along as I can.

Raf

Hi Raf, such an inspiring thread- do you have the link to the thread that shows the construction of this coop? love it :)

Alison

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:10 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Hmmm... will look.

See www.bluelacedgold.wordpress.com for details