Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Keeping native bees?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:56 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Keeping native bees?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:00 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

hi everyone, has anyone purchased a native bee hive?Apparently they are excellent for your garden and of course they don't sting,I have found a couple for sale but they are very expensive does anyone know of any?

Post subject: Re: Keeping native bees?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:31 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

I have never kept native bees but I when I was in my teens and living in Rockhampton I had a friend who was the top ranking man in the Native Beekeepers Association (not sure of the exact name or the organisation)

He had a 1/4 acre backyard and approxamately 20 hives in it... He would hire them out to farms to help pollinate the crops.

At that stage I believe a hive was selling for around $450 from recollection.

The honey is harvestable but not like honey as we usually know it... it's very thick and heavy like mollases.

There's only a very fine eggshell between genius and insanity!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:38 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Hi honkcheep, I just love those Stingless bees, I did lots of research into them and yes the prices are probably normal. I don't know where abouts you are but the numbers in the wild can be quite low. Luckily we have a few nests up in the trees but they don't travel very far so need their kind of food available year round. The European bee is their enemy which out travel them and breed much quicker, and store more food in case of lean times. Not to mention that they kill the natives.
Have you thought of joining a sustaining gardening group, permaculture group maybe, they are right into that kind of thing. Quite a few popping up in facebook group now and quite fun. They may have some experienced people who harvest honey or may help you set a hive up. Best of luck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:06 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I've been looking at the ones on citychicks website (there is a link to one of their other sites). They're also around $450.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:26 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

I have looked into native bees too but unfortunately for me Canberra is too cold. You need to be in a mild climate (e.g. near the coast). I think they'd be fantastic though, if you live in an appropriate area :)

I am on the mailing list for these people (just to sustain my native bee fantasy :laughing ): http://www.zabel.com.au/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:17 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

That looks like a great site, I'd go with them if I had to. Yes, the native bees don't like the cold and can die fairly easily.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:19 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

What part of the country are you in? Dr Tim Heard, (in Brisbane), sells the complete set-up, hive, bees & all. Not sure what his price is now but he would probably be cheaper than City Chicks.

Also the website mentioned in someone else's post sells them too, or at least used to.

Have a look at http://www.aussiebee.com.au and it may have other suppliers listed.

I have one in my garden in suburban Brisbane but think I paid about $250 for it a few years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:37 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

That all sounds great I do live in a fairly cold winter area (bargo NSW) I was told if you leave them with their honey they can handle the winter?Anyway thanks I wil keep researching :th

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:59 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

We live in a cold winter area; too; and were told when we'd enquired about them as a pollenater for our trees that they wouldn't survive here. But this summer we'd had two types of native bees as well as the european honey bees going CrAzY over my Californian poppies - and there's nobody around that has hives; either; were just there, so obviously they find some means somehow - we can get down to -7 some years; which was supposed to mean certain death for them; but I'd had quite a few here, so I don't know where they're staying or how they've made it through, but obviously they have...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:53 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

The Stingless Native bees are the only ones you can currently buy colonies of BUT there are probably well over 1000 different types of Australian native bees . Some of these can handle very cold conditions . Only a handful of these are colony bees and as such nearly all are not suitabe to collect honey from .