Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - What to do with Beetroot?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:59 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:52 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Tori try here.

http://www.edenseeds.com.au/content/default.asp

Click on browse seeds
Then B
scroll down to beetroot golden and click.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:47 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hi Tori,
You can buy the seed from Bunnings.It is just as good as the red.You can have a bit of fun with it with people at bbq as they don't know what it is.
Yvonne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:26 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

This is one of my favourite salads (I believe stolen from the Taste website). I make it all the time.

8 medium beetroot, ends trimmed
100g walnut kernels
1 red onion, finely chopped
60ml (1/4 cup) red wine vinegar
60ml (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp ground cumin
1 orange
1/2 cup chopped fresh continental parsley

Preheat oven to 200°C. Wrap each beetroot bulb in foil. Place on a baking tray. Bake for 1 hour or until tender when pierced with a skewer. Set aside to cool slightly. Wearing rubber gloves to avoid staining your hands, peel the beetroot. Cut into 3cm pieces.
Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the walnuts and cook, stirring often, for 1 minute or until aromatic.

Combine walnuts and onion in a large bowl. Whisk the vinegar, oil and cumin in a jug. Season with salt and pepper. Use a zester to remove the rind from orange. (Alternatively, use a vegetable peeler to peel the rind from orange. Use a small sharp knife to remove white pith from the rind. Cut the rind into very thin strips.)

Add beetroot and dressing to the walnut mixture. Gently toss to combine. Cover and set aside to develop the flavours.
Sprinkle with the parsley and orange rind to serve.

I also do a roast beetroot and green bean salad. Where you roast the beetroot cook the beans place on a serving platter and top with 200g fetta, 1/2 cup roasted pine nuts (toasted) and a dressing poured over it (I use the juice of 1-2 oranges, 1 tsp honey, spoonful of dijon and olive oil, mix and season as needed)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:54 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

So many great ideas!

Tonight I made a delicious borscht! We were so impressed we are going to try lots of different versions.

I just wrote a post about it (with links to recipes etc) on my blog below :addicted:

You can read more on my blog here! www.domestica.com.au

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:56 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Here is the grated beet salad I made tonight with some carrots (orange and purple) and small diced fennel as I had some in the crisper :) Delicious!!

Really easy: beets, carrots, dill, chives, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper

url=http://gallery.backyardpoultry.com/showphoto.php?photo=72201&title=beetroot-salad&cat=587]Image[/url]

You can read more on my blog here! www.domestica.com.au

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:51 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Well, its not cooked or preserved by my number one favourite way of using beetroot is to juice it with carrots, apple, some lemon and greens. I simply looove beetroot juice.

Also like to slice it thinly and then into matchsticks and add it to a tossed salad. Or grate it and throw in some raisins and mix with a nice salad dressing to make a beetroot salad.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:19 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Made "my" (It is a out of a magazine but I have tweaked it slightly.) beetroot choc brownies again last night for a combined work morning tea today. Only crumbs left!!

Interesting to watch people take a bite, then look at he brownie to try to work out what the flavour/texture is. A couple when I told them were most shocked as "We don't like beetroot!, but they ate them anyway,

Ron

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:34 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

These are all great ideas. I will be stealing some of them.

My family did beet sliders once. A few beets go a long way, and it works best with bigger ones, but it was lots of fun cos everyone could personalize their own.

After boiling, we cut the beets into thick round slices, browned each side slightly in a skillet with some olive oil, and sandwiched them in Hawaiian dinner rolls. Then you just add your greens, condiments, cheese, some chips on the side. . . .