Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Purebreds as Meat Birds

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:45 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:15 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Of course.

Never met a chicken I didn't like...the taste of.

Ron (Hopefully booking some pens for the June or July, can't recall the date, Kyneton auction as have little tackers in the grower pen and brooder.)

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:03 pm 
Ron,

Thanks for weighing your new set of cokerals and what you nfed them. I will get the Lueke meat to fatten up my 4 Indian game cokerals for June. They will be 24 weeks old by mid June.

Kiew

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:23 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

We processed 6 SL and GL wyandottes a few weeks back, these boys were around 24 weeks.

Didn't think to weigh or take pics, but they were a little on the lean side, but still tasted great, it was our first batch of boys that we have ever processed so still happy with the results.

Next lot of SLW & GLW we are going to grow out to around 32 weeks, and finish them of on meatbird finisher and restrict there activity for a couple of weeks, not little cages, but a pen that will prevent them from running around. The boys we processed a few weeks back were very athletic, I guess you could say, our chooks enjoy a free ranging lifestyle on our farm, so like to run around all day :)

Picking up some Plymouth Rock, Australorp, and more SL & GL Wyandotte boys this weekend so will be great experiment to grow them out all the same and see which breed ends up weighing in the most, shall report findings later in the year :-D

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:07 am 
Eleros,

Looking forward to your progress report on different breeds. I live in suburban Sydney so are restricted to a small number of cockerals, mamimum of 5 at the moment, 4 Indian games and a Pekin Cross donated to me.

My next experiment will be bantam Indian game as earlier posts by Ruff have seemed to suggest they mature earlier and have substantial meat on them and they take up less room.

Kiew

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:27 am 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

All the bantams seem to have more ... concentrated, I guess, flavour. I've had Pekin, bantam Rhode Island Red, and bantam RIR/Silkie cross, and all seemed to be superior in flavour to the full-size. I haven't done a straight comparison of (say) standard Wyandotte to bantam yet, however. I don't generally keep bantams - they just turn up every now and again :)

I'm very tempted by bantam IG, however, for the eating purposes ...

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:17 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Friday I picked up three 5 month old Australorp boys.

The plan was to fatten them up, then they would be processed in a few weeks, but my mind was made up this morning at 5am, when all three of them were crowing, and I thought the time is today for the processing :think:

Today I got to be part of the production line, this was my first time helping, last time my husband did it all, and we just enjoyed the roast chook at the end :biggrin:

I stomached it all well, and was quite pleased with our mornings work.

2 boys dressed out at 1.7kg
1 boy dressed out at 2kg

Saturday I also picked up the next batch of boys
5 Australorp (6 weeks old)
4 Plymouth Rock (9 weeks old)
5 GL & SL Wyandottes (9 weeks old)
1 Pekin rooster (10 weeks old) - he was given to me along with the Australorp :laughing

Keep you updated

Helen

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:34 am 
When I joined BYP a few years aggo, I thought members are only interested in breeding and compettition.

How wrong was I??

I am so glad I have found people interested in raising chicken for their stomach, who loves cooking and other interests as well.

I have even met a few in person and receiving help.

I am lucky indeed.

Kiew

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:41 am 
Great Game
Great Game

well we were all set up to do some home processing this afternoon when one of our cats decided to scratch one of our boys in the eyeball! with blood streaming from his eye we headed for the emergency. so tomorrow we are doing a batch of chooks and maybe a cat too :bolt:

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:24 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Just ate our first Australorp boy tonight, and wow, awesome flavour, I am astounded at the difference in taste between home grown and supermarket. :thumbs:

My husband didn't do anything special with this boy when roasted, didn't even stuff it for a change and the flavour of the meat was really really nice. There was a good amount of meat, breast meat was ample, not huge like the supermarket chooks, but hey still enough, and it was nice to see a difference in the colour of the meat, white for the breast meat, through to quite dark at the thigh and legs, plus it was all really juicy :biggrin:

So this boy has provided us, a family of 4, a roast meal and now chicken soup which will be our dinner for the next couple of nights, can it really get much better :biggrin:

So I will definately be adding Australorp to my growing out list, now interested to see how my Plymouth rock that I aquired grow out.

Purchased some meat bird finisher on the weekend, and need to quickly build my fattening up pen, as my 5 GL & SL Wyandotte boys are nearly all crowing now, and I am so sick of hearing them all go at 5am, so these boys by the time they are processed will be nearly 30 weeks old, so will be interested to see how these guys end up tasting.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:34 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Brilliant age for Wyandottes. Good idea to fatten them up a bit too. You'll love 'em. Currently top of my flavour list; second only to Pekin. (I kid you not).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:19 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

5 Wyandottes processed today, 2 SL & 3 GL - all 29 weeks, and all crowing, so it will be a little quieter tomorrow morning on our farm at 4am :laughing

Dressed out to be -
1 x 2kg
1 x 1.9kg
3 x 1.6 kg

One week on meat bird finisher and no free ranging, could probably of fattened them up for a bit longer, but we had to quickly make our wood shed into a make shift holding pen for them (approx. 4 x 4m) and didn't want to keep them in here for to long seeing they had free ranged for so long.

Will look to make a proper fattening up pen before the next lot are due, although we have 19 ducklings that will be ready to start processing in 4 weeks time, so we best get a move on :biggrin:

Will probably have the first pot boy next weekend for dinner, so will update my thoughts on flavour etc. in comparison to the Australorps we did last time.

Helen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:25 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Try the poultry finisher for 3-4 weeks if you can,

Ron (mmmm must take another one out of the freezer and do a roast.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:15 pm 
Helen, thank you for the update. I have also followed Ron's suggestion to fatten up my 4 Indian Gane cockerals and 1 Pekin cross. The Indian Game cokerals feel heavy and chesty but not the Pekin cross.

We will be dressing the Pekin and 1 Indain Game this weekend for my daugther's birthday part.

Will report on weigth and taste.

Kiew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:17 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I hope that's not the entertainment, because you know, most people just hire a clown.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:07 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I had two cornish rocks (cornish X) and the first one Big fat hen she was very tasty but then about a year later we had Chookster now this is going to sound odd no doubt. His back legs tasted like turkey I SWEAR and the rest of him tasted like chicken. We added coke to him and covered him. he was very good but there is only the two of use we ate him all week in different way to do chiken that is cooked. Just thought I would in put this.

I hear tell from the feed store that there is this stuff called meat builder when I first had my chickens and learning of what to feed them he had said this but I asked if they would be happy on it he said not really so if I am right this is to feed your chickens to get more meat ?? on them> anyone else hear tell of this meat builder??

Rhayden

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next