Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Automatic feeder help

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun May 31, 2020 1:43 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Automatic feeder help
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:41 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hi all i have just recently bought one of those u beaut, expensive automatic feeders, holds about 20kg. Other than the chickens being useless at working it out it is full of water and all the food is wet, which was the whole point of buying it. I have been leaving the lid up but unfortunately it has been raining at night and spoiling the food. On 3 separate occasions this has happened. I now have it closed and have been dropping grain around the base to encourage them near it. Last night it rained with the lid closed and all the feed is wet again. I think it is getting in at the hinge of the lid. Has anyone else had this problem or can you only use then inside. It will be a very expensive lesson as i have not got a sheltered outside yard.i have previously been using the round tin ones but the top shade doesn't hang over enough to protect the food. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Sue

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:20 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Hi Sue, what type/brand of feeder is it? The metal one's should be waterproof so l'm not sure why your feed is getting wet. :hmmm: During the training phase mine was left fully opened then dropped to partially opened and l made sure l put a table over the top of the feeder to keep the rain out. This seemed to do the trick. I also bought the feeder in Summer so this eliminated lots of rain. Is there some way that you can protect it from the rain without costing yourself a fortune?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:33 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

It doesnt have a brand as they are hand made in adelaide somewhere. It is made of galvanised tin and holds about 20 kg of pellets. It is the tall box type, not a low flat one. I will have to attach it to a wall as it tends to slide down with the weight. My husband is going to put some tape over the hinged join to see if that helps but i feel like i shouldnt have to modify it for that price. Are they made for outside ? It cost me $150 !!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:16 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

If it mounted on a strong post you may be able to contruct a little awning over it?

Is it the top above the height of normal saw horses? I find just a sheet of Colorbond laid across some saw horses makes a reasonably weather proof makeshift shelter. I have a galvanised feed hopper that needs more protection from rain as well. I have to repair the bottom which has rusted out in a couple of places & it would be better mounted too - so I may have to take my own advice! I think I have a pic in the Gallery - if find it I'll edit it in later. It's design could be improved with overhang on the lid, or a separate "roof" to keep water from getting into the little trough-like parts from which the poultry feed. It is great in fine weather. :-)

Are you able to post a pic of your feeder - it is often easier to offer suggestions for me at least :-P - with a visual.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:16 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Im pretty hopeless with technical stuff, i have read the how to of posting pictures but not that confident. Problem with erecting a cover over it is i may as well have kept the old one. Hubbies not happy as he says i spend way too much on the chooks already. I bought it because i was going away and my mum who is almost 80 will be minding them. I was trying to make it easier for her as the food should last all week with the amount of chooks i have in that pen. I think i will attach it to the side of the coop and try the tape across the flap , i have a few more days to check it out before we go. Bet it doesn't rain now i need to try it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:43 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Can you complain to whoever you bought it from? Was there claims that it is waterproof? I have never had any problem with mine (granpa feeder) and it's been out in the weather for years. As annoying as it is you may have to erect something over it. I agree a picture would be great but l'm not particularly tech savvy on here either! :-D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:32 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Oh no. A very annoying situation. I do recommend contacting the manufacturer or supplier and making a complaint especially since it cost you $150. Do they have a website that you could link to so we could see an image?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:57 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Tomorrow i am going to mount it to the wall so it sits more upright, as mounted on bricks it seems to slide itself backwards. The owner of the store has had one for ages and has never had any problems. They still havent worked out how to open it. I have had it for nearly a week now. If i have the lid down and sprinkle food inside the foot ledge they stick their heads inder it. I have seen the rooster stand on it but only when it was already open. As i am going away next week i think i wil have to tape it open and put a lean to over it for the time being. It would be great if it stopped raining as well. Hopefully sunny tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:59 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Could you post a photo of the variety of feeder you've got? None of the issues you're describing should happen with the treadle-type feeders ... they're shouldn't need to be mounted, or supported, or covered too much.

I've got this variety from Elite and, aside from a mild tendency to fall over and require a slightly level surface to work properly, I've never had any issues with feed getting wet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:30 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

No nothing like that one. Has a sloping lid that sits on top and a flap that pops up when they stand on a bar. The base has three angles. A small base then slopes up and backwards so the feed runs to the front and then straight up the back. I have attached it to the wall on the otherside of the coop so hopefully more protected. We had 100kh winds here today and the top lid even blew off. A bit of rain but none got in this time . They must be starving, still havent worked it out. If i throw food around it to encourage them closer, they stick their heads under the bar. Ive seen the rooster step on the bar but not feed from it. We are going away on Wenesday so looks like i will have to leave it open with a table over the top for protection and deal with it when i get home.

If i still have problems then will get my hubby to help with photos

Thanks Sue

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:38 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Just found the exact same one on gumtree called step up chook feeder. Retails for $155. I didnt buy it from them bought it from a fodder store but it is exactly the same brand as that one. Maybe if i put a plate to stand on instead of a bar they might stand on it more easily.
The water has been leaking through the hinged gap. Didnt have enough rain to test it in new location today.
Thanks for everyones imput.
Sue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:24 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

We have had an automatic feeder now for several months. We have to keep it shut as we have a lot of trouble with birds eating the food. The chooks wont use the treadle, they seem to be frightened of it and we are trying to work out how to get them to use it. Can anyone suggest how to get them to use the treadle? We have four hens and one bantam hen, they should be heavy enough to work it if they wanted to.Advice would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:48 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Some birds take a long time to learn to use the feeders. One of mine took about eight weeks even after the others were fine with it. You just have accept the feed loss and the crazy number of wild birds eating the food while the lid is propped open and they’re learning. Then when you finally close the lid, it takes about two weeks for the crowd of freeloaders to disappear and your backyard life is quiet and peaceful.