Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Anyone else breed pomeranian (saddleback) Geese

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:27 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:41 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

I have been trying to breed pomeranian geese, and would like to get in contact with other breeders that keep them. My replacement gander has been infertile for a few years and would like to work in with other breeders to build up numbers and help promote them more in Australia.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:47 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

now do you want Pomeranian's OR saddlebacks,,there is a difference between the two breeds

maybe your title should read "pied Pomeranian" ,,or perhaps just Pomeranian would do as the APS only recognizes the one colour here in Aust

although we dont get overly fussy with spelling i feel its necessary to get the breed title correct ;-)

Last edited by RnBs WATERFOWL on Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:48 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

i can show you how to breed around the lack of a pied gander using something else :thumbs:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:10 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

thanks RnB's,
I figured the only main difference between the two breeds was Pomeraneans had a single paunch, and saddle back have a double lobed. I wouldn't mind either breed. What would you recommend to use as a gander to breed pieds if a pied gander can't be found?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:12 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

sorry about the spelling, was never my strong point but will improve as I dabble in geese and waterfowl more :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:27 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Andy Vardy wrote:
thanks RnB's,
main difference between the two breeds was Pomeraneans had a single paunch, and saddle back have a double lobed.

most pleasing to see some else understand the defining feature of the Pom is the single lobed paunch :morebow

grey gander Andy...

this will either help or confuse :dontknow
goose colour is a bit like buying a new car,,you have your base model,,(grey goose) and if you choose you can add dealer fitted options(genes)
a pied goose is a grey bird with the addition of the pied gene(sp) as it's recessive you need a double dose(homozygous) for the pied pheno type to be expressed.
cross a pied goose to a grey gander and all young will be (hetro) for the pied gene
take an F1 gander and mate back to the pied goose
stats have the F2's, as a split of 50/50..pied's(homo for sp) and recessive pied greys(looks just like a grey bird)
i'll be having a crack at pied's from none pied breeding stock next year, my F1's in this program are in the brooder now..

Last edited by RnBs WATERFOWL on Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:29 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

love to see some pics of your pieds

Andy the above idea is just theory at this stage,,very little correctly documented breeding material available for colour breeding in geese..
suggested geno types can be found in the British Waterfowl Standards by the BWA.
i am in the process of trying to correctly document and identify the various hetro states for the colour genes we have to play with. i have another topic running covering this,,but as it's a work in progress i wouldn't read too much into it just yet..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:15 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Thanks for the info. Interesting that the pied gene is recessive, but it does seem harder to breed a good coloured gander as often they come out with too much white or too much grey. When I have the time I will take photos of the pair I have. It does seem like geese are still yet to have their time again in the spotlight. I often think with organic farming getting more and more popular, that they could become re-discovered so as to speek.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:32 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Interesting breed, have been doing some research and it seems Pomeranian's come in three main colours; white, grey and saddleback. From my reading on the web, saddleback just seems to be a word interchangeable with pied. Not sure where I heard saddlebacks being a separate breed with two lobes :?:

To make it even more confusing, the APS only lists two colours "grey" and "buff". I would have thought the colour should be listed as "Grey Pied", perhaps another inconsistency in the standards.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:52 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

the term saddleback is generally used for the buff back and grey back breed,,which has the double lobe.

the Pomeranian is recognized else where in three colours,,white,grey and pied...and although the markings of the bird are almost identical between the saddlebacks and the pied Pom.. i think the term saddleback shouldn't be used for the Pom...

and as for the naming in the APS.... :dontknow :hmmm: :dontknow ...as has been demonstrated a number of times,,who ever is responsible for it(APS) has very little idea,,disappointing that we have such people in control of something so important!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:45 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

how did you go getting those pics of the pied geese you have Andy?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:27 am 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

RnBs WATERFOWL wrote:
how did you go getting those pics of the pied geese you have Andy?

finally snapped a photo. The old pair never bred the last two years, and the gander passed away. But Thanks to a friend, I have added more and have 3 pairs now. Will be interesting what they produce, I realise they are a motley bunch, but they are all I have available. My plan for the future is to cull hard all the offspring and try to improve each generation. feedback welcome as my knowledge of geese is limited.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:45 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

from that pic Andy i'd almost say they appear to be single lobed birds? which is good for breeding Poms.
can you confirm the birds type please.
as for colour,,,you have a mixed bag
and reportedly the pied pattern, with nice saddle, the grey flank area and a nice demarcation line of the grey head and neck in the right area difficult to achieve.
hatch enough and i'm sure you'll find an improvement somewhere.

if i remember right i thought i spotted some nice-ish marked birds in a pic from DJ1983 at some stage.
although saddleback in type they'd be good to throw in here for a look at colour and markings.