Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Breeds Chart based on Australian experience

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:13 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:47 pm 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

Looks awesome! Nice work Cathy, thanks for putting in so much effort.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:19 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

sue55 wrote:
I think the correct description for the Croad egg is "plum" though I'm not sure if they really exist in that colour in Australia. Are they out there somewhere?

Yes, I thought that too but I went with the colour listed in the current Australian Poultry Standard.

The croad langshans that we have had laid a creamy to pale brown egg. I know of other breeders who occasionally (but rarely) get a pinkish tinge to the egg. I've never heard of anybody in Australia getting anything approaching a 'plum' colour, unless their plums are very different to those I've seen.

If you grab a pantone chart and look at a range of what is classed as 'plum' you get something like the samples in the picture below. I've never seen an egg in Australia that would fit on there. (disregard the blue 'plume' colour)

It would be pretty cool if we did get plum coloured eggs here. I have seen some pictures that would come close that were from other parts of the world. Perhaps if the ARPIS importation had been successful, we may have seen some plum eggs here.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:38 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

At last years Sydney royal, I found a white australian langshan that laid a light plum egg or at least there was one sitting in her cage. Supposedly, the croad langshan was the source of the marans red/brown egg.

J

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:51 pm 
Wyandotte Warrior
Wyandotte Warrior

Many Aust Langie hens will lay a deep salmon/pinkish colour that I have never seen with other breeds. I always thought this was the plum colour they were referring to, but its certainly not on that colour chart.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:21 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Perhaps it is and it's not very wisely described or named. The local croads in this region are said to lay something similar at times.

That is not reflected in the Australian Poultry Standards though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:20 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

This is an image from overseas where they do look plum coloured.

This was posted on http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/444381/black-copper-marans-discussion-thread/4620

The poster made the following comment.

Quote:
Croad are supposed to.
"The 'plum' egg colouring is a bloom over the top of a pinkish brown shell. The darker brown the shell the darker plum the colour will appear. Some eggs have a white bloom but a good example will have a pale purple colour bloom over a darker shell. This is why the Poultry Club Standards list the egg colour as brown. " quoted from http://clarescroads.webs.com/eggcolour.htm
and heres a pic off some amazing ones...

That person seems to think that the pale purple is the 'bloom' on the egg and the base colour is brown.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:52 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

I recall the late George Childs telling me of very dark plumb eggs he had seen from a langshan hen down Nowra way many years back . So there are or were available . I had asked him his thoughts re egg colour, when I was working on "other" coloured French Marans .
George passed away a few months back and will be remembered for his work on many breeds . ( Don't want to get offf topic but I know Denis you knew him well )
Every now and then the French Marans( the right French Marans ;-) ) will lay an egg similar to the egg colour above . I am sure Jocler will vouch for this ( it has to do with the length of time the egg is in the birds system and pigment build up )

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:22 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Its almost like they have been top coated with a layer of calcium substance on top. My father has commercial birds for layers and sometimes gets eggs like this from Isa Brown type fowls. I have seen it in the Marans also, so can vouch for Martins comments.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:17 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Chicken07 wrote:
We're putting together a chicken breeds chart based on Australian experience. It would be helpful to people who are thinking about getting into different breeds. Information can be based on your experience if you own and keep these breeds in Australia. I'm happy to add extra chicken breeds if information is given. So far I've just put a few names from the Australian standard with placeholders until some real information is contributed. I'll also need pictures so if you have a picture you'd like to donate to the project just let me know.

The chart is currently empty but the bare bones have been put in place and I'll build it as information is contributed. http://www.backyardpoultry.com/wiki/ind ... eeds_Chart

Pick a chicken breed and tell me and I'll add it:

What Varieties
Comb types
Skin colour
Weights
Egg colour and approx no. of eggs per year
Broodiness
Feeding
Temperament
Table Value
Breed Club

I've begun on Ancona (that's David's gorgeous cock bird from the recent FCAQ Workshop ;-) ).

Next is Andalusian, so if you've kept them or know about them, please give us the info to add. :thumbs:

This chart is brilliant!!!
I have shared it with a FB Group ...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2297827 ... ment_reply

They asked for it in PDF, but if it updates, this would be no good..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:04 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

It does update.

If you have any better photos or suggested information changes, just let me know.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:11 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

This chart is coming together nicely.
May I suggest we include number of toes alongside corresponding breed so that learners and novice such as myself can see that we are looking for the right features. Maybe this could come under the skin/leg heading.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:27 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Yes, that could be done. If somebody would like to make up a list of the data to be added, and post it here, I will add it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:42 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I have a 'special' calendar for chook stuff only - would love this 'Breeds Chart' as my next calendar.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:10 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

This chart is so hard to find. I wanted to add it to my fav's and took forever to find it. Ended up googling it

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:39 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

There is a prominent link at the top left of every page of the forum! Or two if you go via the logo & main site page.

Take some time to look around and become more familiar with the layout. :-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next