Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - green eggs, how did this happen? **lots of pics**

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:07 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:19 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

You're SURE these are the only contendors for blue egglaying? Cos they both have straight combs, and that breaks my brain.

Yes, I know the link between peacomb and blue eggs CAN be broken, but it's so very annoying when it is!! :)

For no other reason save that I've got a 50/50 chance of being right, and also because of the slight - VERY slight - crinkle at the front of the comb, I'm going the black for the blue eggs.

Also, because a lot of my Ara/Lorp black-feathered offspring end up with purple-sheened black feathers and laying green eggs. Although the purple does tend to give way to the more familiar green quite quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:31 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

The link between peacomb and blue egg shell is not absolute. About 3% recombination happens every generation.

So there is enough opportunity for rearrangement!!

When it has been rearranged the linkage is then between straight comb and blue eggs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:41 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

There is a possibility that it could be my one and only araucana hen that is laying this egg but she was laying a normal egg at the end of last year of a different shade of blue so even though she has been on a break I do not believe that she would regress to laying 'pullet egg' type 'double yolkers'

FYI absolutely certain she was not involved with the breeding of the blue laced 'lorp type hen

I observe in fascination a worm move by peristaltic action through the freshly turned earth as I plant out my chilies. Grasping the Annelid I toss it to the waiting pack of beady-eyed vultures and watch the ensuing mayhem while laughing like a chook!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:42 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Well whoever it was is on a slow burn - no more blue eggs yet.

I stuck the black pullet in an isolation area but either she was the one and relocating her has mucked her up and/or the crappy weather has stopped the girl who was laying them.

I realised there is one other contender but she is 4 weeks younger than the other two so I think its highly unlikely to be her. She is a Hamburg cross Rooster B (now and forever named 'Nameless') black/silver pullet at around 18 weeks whereas the other two are 22 weeks old.

Just going to have to sit and twiddle my thumbs. Every time I hear the girls start up the egg song :croww I just have to look but I'm leaving the girl in isolation alone.

I observe in fascination a worm move by peristaltic action through the freshly turned earth as I plant out my chilies. Grasping the Annelid I toss it to the waiting pack of beady-eyed vultures and watch the ensuing mayhem while laughing like a chook!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:50 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Well she took her time but finally got over the problem of solitary confinement and laid an egg.

I waited till she had laid two just 'to be sure to be sure'

I think the discoloration on it is from the mud and poo I had to clean off

And yes it was the black girl. The brown one goes into solitary tonight till she lays an egg.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:01 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I had a setback last year

Dog attack - killed all of my chickens except for two unwanted cross breeds.

I had so many at the time that I was not incubating eggs but had a dozen in the fridge so I stuck them all in and three hatched. Two cockerels, one hen.

One of the cockerels died, so from this original selection I was left with a single hen & rooster

I was desperate not to lose it all so I got some utility Australorp X Leghorns. Undesired white / black leakage, but both breeds were in this original cross so acceptable

Now it’s a case of incubate everything and start selecting again. Didn’t lose the Blue Lacing or Blue Egg gene so just damn lucky I guess.

Not sure who is laying the blue egg yet. Could even be one of the splash/leakage hens from the Utility X my rooster

the rooster and his son in the background

the lone blue egg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:32 am 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Really bad luck - foxes and dogs are such a given, our best organised care is never a guarantee - we need to be tough and resilient to keep chooks. Fingers crossed this lot establish a good line for you.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:51 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

good luck to you with a restart .
make sure this time the foxes don t get to them .