Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Recycle, Reuse, Reinvent :- The Hippy and the Engineer

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:01 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:55 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I love the old recycled cisterns turned into automatic waterers - absolutely brilliant, they have there own built in flush so they can be cleaned out more easily. I love it!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:31 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Í'd forgotten that I had one of those "Free Gift With Purchase" items, so I dusted it off a little and stuffed some straw in it.

I originally thought it would be a good hidey-hole cuddle-snug for these two villains who are just getting enough feathers to not always need to be under a brooder lamp:

But when I checked to see if they were using it ... I got a pleasant surprise:

So somebody gave your idea a big thumbs up - and this particular somebody is very bad about leaving eggs wherever - inside, outside, dirt, concrete - so :yess if she's found a nestbox that she likes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:23 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

The engineer has been away for a week, he's the one who does the clever photos and galleries stuff. (I just have the 'ideas') He's back now.

These pens are in the garage. I use them when I need to seperate birds for a short time eg hospital, maternity suite, forced moult, egg ID, pen training. They are 2 bread crates long and have a removable centre divider so can be used as single or double units. The girls in here are all sitting on eggs. The chicks can move between the centre dividers (wire fridge racks) and the hens will accept all the chicks as their own. One hen on each level will probably be removed once hatching is completed, or when everyone is moved to bigger quarters the hens will happily co-parent

This is a large homemade feeder - rubbish bin and 2 lids

This is probably my most useful piece of chook equipment.
The 'Chookabarra' is a moving van, tempory pen, drying off room etc
It can accomodate up to 8 large roos or 12 hens, has a optional centre divider and headlights and can be opened at both ends.

Every vegetable garden needs a hand basin.

This one drains onto the apple tree.

A potting table with shade is useful.

We have very heavy frosts and taps and timers burst if unprotected. This old bar fridge works well for the water distribution in the vege garden.

Another (gal. clad for asthetics) fridge serves as a cold frame.

This one is my water chestnut garden - another fridge! (just need to figure out what to do with all these water chestnuts?)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:01 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I love the chookabarra. Particularly the headlights :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:18 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Yes, the chookabarra gets my vote too ... did it require any welding to make Sue55? I'm not so good at welding, but I do have a barrow-less wheel barrow compliments of the previous home owner that could be put to good use

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:01 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Thanks Liz and Smallflock. The cage on the Chookabarra is welded but something similar could be constructed using screws or wire (or even a crate or a cocky cage)

Last edited by sue55 on Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:06 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

I have a couple of old baths dug into the ground that I was going to try and grow water chestnuts. Then I thought, how many water chestnuts do we actually eat every year? Not many.

Great ideas there Sue :thumbs:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:14 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Sue could you please ask your photo stylist to take a couple more chookabarra photos from different angles? Have you ever used it for breaking broodies?

You may have a "patent pending" item there Sue!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:41 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Thanks Smallflock. I have the makings of another Chookabarra. If I can motivate The Engineer to make it I will take some WIP pics. I have used it as a Sin Bin however it is seldom not used for long enough to waste it on one cranky hen. I am considering making a couple up and taking them to an auction so am interested in feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:59 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Chookabarra is seriously fantastic :) If I ever had lots of chooks to move around I would definitely use one of those.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:12 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

A great re-use of materials and the chooks look very happy.

Don't forget to check "The green shed" at the tips at Hume and Mitchell in Canberra for more canopies....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:16 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Thanks Bored Monkey - I just about live at the GS. They have some of my stuff on their facebook.

Smallflock, has your girl committed to her GWP or was it a once only event?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:42 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Well, strictly speaking only the once - but then moult happened, so there's been no need. I'll give you an update June/July'ish when production starts back up!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:52 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Sue, I think your ideas are amazing. I am always trying to reuse things.
Am just setting up my pen and run, need all the ideas I can get! One question, the mower catchers, would that be for just one chook, or multiple users? I have a couple of old plastic cat carriers I was thinking of using as nest boxes, what do you think?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:13 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Thanks Ann One nest box is usually sufficient for 4or 5 chooks.If you provide too many they will still all cram into the same one.Cat carriers work well though if you use them for nest boxes you have to scratch round looking for boxes every time you'just have to get a new chook'.
One mistake that I made was to put my nest boxes too high. Best if they are below the level of the perches or the chooks may sleep in them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next