Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - New project?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 4:57 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New project?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:15 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

some very interesting options....I personally chose my breed ( Japanese bantams ) and then began playing with colour.....the focus for me was breeding better birds just because I like them, it helps they are great little mums and productive even over winter.....and then have diversified into wet chooks ( call ducks) and now Budgies ( australian golden face) but my aim is improving the breed or variety and getting them out for the people to see......my advice read through the rare breeds list and choose a bird you like that you will be happy to see in large numbers in your backyard for many year, over estimate the cost of the project and set realistic goals

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:46 pm 
Wyandotte Warrior
Wyandotte Warrior

Good advice from PJH. There is little point in trying to create some exotic overseas breed. Unless you have access to the foundation breeds it really is a waste of time. There are so many colours within established breeds in Oz that need a helping hand. For example pencilled and gold spangled hamburgs, speckled & silver sussex, silver pencilled and partridge wyandottes, all non-barred plymouth rocks. Just a few of the many breeds that are crying out for more support.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:11 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Pjh, I have bred some nice yellow face violet blue spangled pied Budgies this season, single factor though so when mature end up with some green on breast. If end up male and female may pair together to get double factor which should remove green from breast. If you zoom can see them, one is already colouring up a hen.

Attachments:
IMAG1011.jpg
IMAG1011.jpg [ 2.25 MiB | Viewed 1713 times ]
IMAG1010.jpg
IMAG1010.jpg [ 2.46 MiB | Viewed 1713 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:03 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

pretty as spangled or pied goldenface budgies are from a show perspective they are then spangles or pied and being goldenface they are usually not competitive in those classes...I do have an opaline goldenface hen and a pied goldenface hen but the aim here is to breed normal goldenface.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:43 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I did have for a.while a double factor.violet blue yellow face normal hen who was a beauty. My nan had for.awhile years ago a double factor violet blue yellow face spangle who had the deepest purple front I have ever seen on a budgie and he's back was a good deep yellow spangle. This is what I have been trying to get for years . I don't show the Budgies so not concerned If can't be shown..when I go to Bird sale's I keep my eye out for any dark violet blue yellow face spangled Budgies, but not much luck yet. Pjh do you have any photos of your yellow faced Budgies.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:45 am 

klw wrote:
how about creating a bird that is/looks like a lakenvelder or a vorwerk :read :globe or I seen a pic somewhere of a hen that looked like a palomino horse that had light golden buff body and white hackles and tails,that would be a chooken I would buy,the vorwerks remind me of a buckskin,i know theres always buff sussex but they don't have that crisp colour like the vors have :laughing

Hi klw and co
I know this is a really old thread and that the vw's are here in Australia now, yay!
Came across a great website oriontree.uk when doing research on type etc to help me with my birds.
Saw one of their projects, a palamino vorwerk, just gorgeous!
Have copied a photo across, with thanks.
So how would you go about replacing the black with white/cream? Just interested to know.
Cheers! :th

http://oriontree.uk/wp-content/uploads/ ... G_8704.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:40 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

One dose of Dominant White. It will make the Black areas White and not affect the Gold / Red.
The hard part will be getting a bird close to type. You will need the experts to help you choose which breed though.
I'm not that clever sorry.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:45 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Bronze wrote:
One dose of Dominant White. It will make the Black areas White and not affect the Gold / Red.
The hard part will be getting a bird close to type. You will need the experts to help you choose which breed though.
I'm not that clever sorry.

ISA Brown dominant white parent or grandparent line would do it. They have dominant white and carrying white ear lobe gene from the leghorn influence and smaller body type of the ISA lineage. As a matter of fact I have exactly that male bird in my possession and a friend with the newly imported Vorwerks. One cross should bring the desired result in the F1 offspring. A bit more breeding back and forth to refine the results. Only one thing - they won't breed true, because the dominant white will keep doubling up, turning the offspring completely white within a few generations.