Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - S.A Power Out

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:59 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: S.A Power Out
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:39 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I know that there have been major implications with the recent Power Out in South Australia and my sympathies go out to those who have have had some very serious problems.
I realised this morning however, that there would have been many incubators gone off and people struggling to keep chicks alive with brooders not working.
If you have lost a potential hatch for this reason, let us know - hopefully some may be able to help out.

Post subject: Re: S.A Power Out
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:46 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks Sue, No incubator running at the moment which is good but there is a tree in my kitchen!
Not quite, fell on the roof and made a decent hole though. SES were amazing and responded in 15 minutes to remove it from the roof and cover the hole.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:14 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks Sue, you would think after losing 3-4 incubators of eggs in the Pinery fires last year you would think I would have learnt and bought a generator lol but no I lost those ducklings and chickens from the heat (no power = no cooling to maintain room temp that incubators were in) and not being able to get home easily. This time its no power = no heat for the incubators luckily all my babies in the brooders were 1-2 weeks old and survived the night cuddled up together with blankets over the boxes the youngest 6 ducklings spent the night by the fire. I managed to shove the dozen of precious eggs my daughter bought from interstate under a silver sussex broody got to love their persistence but I dont have enough for the the other 300 eggs to go under so wrapped the incubators in blankets. I will candle them tonight a friend thinks he has lost all 150 odd eggs but the incubators have been running again since 7.30 this morning so it was only 16 hours that they were not working so its not over until the fat lady sings here. We are getting ready for another power outage people are sandbagging their homes as dams and rivers are rising and breaking banks in my area there we are lucky as we live on a hill. Its been raining steadily all afternoon so think the next few days are going to be very harrowing for the people of this area that not 12 months ago nearly or did lose everything to a catastrophic fire now the threat of flood.
regards Judy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:38 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Certainly not ideal and hopefully I will only have modest losses.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:06 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

It's so bizarre for this weather to be happening in SA.... Feel for you people coping with eggs and chicks/ducklings. Fingers crossed for all.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:42 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Well we can thank the useless arrogant South Australian state government for this situation.........not the weather but the consequences. If we still had base load stations NOT ALL OF THE STATE would have been blacked out. I lost 90 eggs to the blackout...no broodies available and lost 2 pens to the wind....Thankfully not the eye of the storm here but not far from it...only had about 30mm of rain (with hail).
Most of my birds are ok......

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:34 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

So closing the dirtiest power station in the country because it ran out of fuel made 28 transmission towers fall over?

How do you run a coal fired power station without a supply of coal?

I can see when you are in charge things will be different.

If it was so obvious that there was going to be problems why didn't you buy a generator?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:38 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

OK - Keep it nice please

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:19 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

We didn't really mind at all. Scrabble by candle light for a couple of hours and cooked dinner on the camp stove. Not that big a deal to have no power. Thankfully we didn't have anything that needed consistent power like an incubator. I hope there weren't too many destroyed hatches!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:44 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I wasn’t badly affected the power was out for 4-5 hours.

I seem to be getting moderate hatch rates.

If there were linesmen out in the storm fixing things I am glad I don't have their job

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:22 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

sue55 wrote:
OK - Keep it nice please

Don't worry Sue, it won't faze me....I live in the area and know the facts not the fantasy. I can remember when there was no power but 32 volt free light towers, batteries and gen sets.....light out at my grandparents and our farm at 9pm sharp......bad luck if you were reading something...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:11 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I remember the party line phone at my grandparents farm, when you would ring Gladys at the exchange and ask to be put thru to Helen - only to be told that Helen was at Marg's having afternoon tea with the visitors from Newcastle (who Jean said were probably going to be 'In Laws').
Who needed face book when you had a 'switchie?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:14 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

sue55 wrote:
I remember the party line phone at my grandparents farm, when you would ring Gladys at the exchange and ask to be put thru to Helen - only to be told that Helen was at Marg's having afternoon tea with the visitors from Newcastle (who Jean said were probably going to be 'In Laws').
Who needed face book when you had a 'switchie?

Ah, the GOOD OL' DAYS HUH. I remember them as well, Mum & Dad's phone number was 56U (two short one long ring), my Grandparents was 183D (one long two short rings), the ring was the morse code for the letter. Pick up the phone to check no one was on then turn the handle and wait for the "Number please Ashy", we were all called Ashy.

My mother, my Auntie and my wife were all telephonists on different exchanges, Quorn, Port Augusta and Hawker, in South Australia. I think we are now showing our ages with these memories............ :nuts :nuts :nuts :nuts :nuts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:56 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

:oldie