Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - bird mites - help!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:32 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: bird mites - help!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:24 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I have an explosion of mites in my chicken pens. What is the best way to get rid of them? I have horticultural malathion and would be happy to use something a bit mote eco-friendly if it works. I am growing epazote, a wormwood used elsewhere to treat for worms in horses - somebody online reckoned it will work on mites. All advice appreciated.

Post subject: Re: bird mites - help!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:39 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Lack of residual may be a problem if you want to use it as an acaricide

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15384350

I think that if its bad you will need to nuke it then latter on use the epazote have a look on the A-Z medical info links at the top of the Good Samaritan page for the links to chemical treatment

I observe in fascination a worm move by peristaltic action through the freshly turned earth as I plant out my chilies. Grasping the Annelid I toss it to the waiting pack of beady-eyed vultures and watch the ensuing mayhem while laughing like a chook!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:46 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

What would you suggest using to nuke them? What 'cide, at what rate and how many times?
Cheers
barrycon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:41 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

What's the chemical strength of the malathion?

I observe in fascination a worm move by peristaltic action through the freshly turned earth as I plant out my chilies. Grasping the Annelid I toss it to the waiting pack of beady-eyed vultures and watch the ensuing mayhem while laughing like a chook!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:31 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

It is maldison 500- that is 500gms/litre.
regards
barrycon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:03 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

If it is mites, I would be using moxydectin on the birds and simply spraying the coop with coopex. Ensure you spray all perches as well..

J

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:28 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

The % spray for poultry has been published at 0.3% for Maldison but I don't favour spraying an organophosphate on the chickens at that rate no matter how safe it's supposed to be. I go at 0.05% so 1 ml in 1 litre for that chemical. Dip or spray them in the morning before letting them go outside the coop -

dip: The mixed up solution in large tub/trug with a squirt of dishwashing soap, glove up and gently massage into the feathers. don't get their heads under the water, just wet the gloves and wipe up their necks and around the head.

spray: 2 litre pump pack garden sprayer get it right up the breast, under the wings, around the vent and up along the back.

Then for housing mix 20ml of maldison per litre of spray. Kick the chickens out in the morning pull out any loose litter and spray all the surfaces till runoff (of course use the normal chemical handling precautions: mask, gloves, eye protection etc)

Spray into all the nooks, cracks, under the roosts etc.

Allow it to dry and air out a bit before letting the girls have access again. If you do it in the morning they won't be looking to go back in for a few hours anyway.

Bag and bin any nesting/bedding material you pulled out. Replace with fresh stuff and give it a dusting with Yates Tomato & Vegetable Dust.

Give it a day then give the chickens a dose of a 'mectin based de-wormer. You can purchase the liquid to add to the water or if you only have a couple you could get a tube of Equitak Excel and give them each a pea sized blob directly into the beak. I have quite a few so when I do it I load up a smaller syringe but a popsicle stick with a blob on the end would do to apply it into the chickens mouth.

And they can't shake out the paste from their beak.

Repeat all the spray and worming in 7 to 10 days and recheck the nesting/bedding material to see if it needs replacing again.

If after the second application you still have mites then you will need to be a bit more thorough. But we can chat then if needed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:21 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks very much for all that. Will get stuck into it.