Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Loose air cells

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:49 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Loose air cells
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:35 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I had some eggs delivered today via post.

out of 2 dozen 1 was broken

Candling the eggs every egg the air cell was free to float around in the egg.

Is this typical of posted eggs?

can you still get a reasonable hatch rate from eggs like this?

Post subject: Re: Loose air cells
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:16 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Very typical of posted eggs. The damaged air cells will get quite big as the eggs incubate, developing a 'saddle' shape over the top of the egg (top being the rounded bottom that's facing up in the incubator, lol). Too large of an air cell however can impede the chicks growth and cause them to fail as they get bigger.

Some suggest to let the eggs rest for 24 hours before incubating, which I've read two differing reasons for - to let the air cell settle and to re-balance the CO2 levels. But others don't think it makes a whole lot of difference in the long run.

While purely anecdotal and hardly provable, here is what I have found with posted eggs and damaged air cells. Upright (rounded, 'bottom' up) is best, typical of any incubation. Tilting exacerbates the air cells damage. Twisting the egg around from the top (keeping it in it's upright position), seems to help preserve the air cell and minimise 'saddling'. The air cell doesn't move yet the embryo inside does.

What I haven't done is do a side-by-side test of tilting vs twisting from the same parcel of posted eggs, that would be the best way to tell if it makes an actual difference given all eggs will have experienced the same post handling. My experience and 'experimentation' was from two separate lots of posted eggs. Although with both I did a hatchalong with my own chickens eggs to ensure conditions in the incubator were correct and that could be eliminated as a cause should hatch rates be low.

Anyway, rambling! Yes, it's possible you can still have chicks hatch despite a wibbly-wobbly air cell. Don't expect any to hatch, that way if you get some hatch it'll be a bonus.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:23 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I have had some good hatchs from posted eggs with damaged air cells. But if the air cell seems to be not there at all these eggs will fail. Its a lucky dip.best of luck. I just recently come back from Noosa hols and i bought a mixed doz of blr wyandotte eggs and Australorp. Travelled from Noosa to Coffs harbour first day, and then from Coffs to Thirlmere the 2nd day.all up 15 hrs driving. All lorp eggs are developing (5), one has slipped air cell to the side. The blr eggs, 4 from the 7 are fertile and developing well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:10 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

My experience is if the aircell is damaged, but still in the right place (but extends down the side of the egg rather than just being at the end) the hatch rate is pretty normal. If the aircell is actually floating around the egg like a free bubble, then the egg is stuffed and you might as well throw them out. Sounds as if they had some pretty rough treatment in the post and unfortunately if I read you correctly then they are probably all no good. Sorry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:47 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I agree , the ones with damaged air cells that hatched for me were just shifted or weird shape. .