Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Hatching quail eggs from the supermarket

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:48 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:24 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

:laughing he he he

Staffordshire Bull Terrier, a tripawd Beagle mix, 2 Pekins, a Bantam Light Sussex, a Bantam Salmon Faverolles, a Bantam Australian Langshan, a Bantam Plymouth Rock, a Bantam Brahma, a Bantam Australorp, a hive of bees and a family of boys.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:28 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

sue55 wrote:
Yesss :nuts :nuts :nuts :nuts :nuts

Just got home 3 out and at least 1 more pipping. I have a broody Silkie so will give them a couple of days in the brooder then adopt them out to her.

I never planned to have quail, but then I never really planned to have chooks, or ducks or geese (or hubby and kids :doh )

Actually, I might ask a question as I know nothing about quail. I thought chooks would kill quail as they are so small. Sounds like you will keep them in together, or is that just while the broody Silky looks after them in a separate pen?

Staffordshire Bull Terrier, a tripawd Beagle mix, 2 Pekins, a Bantam Light Sussex, a Bantam Salmon Faverolles, a Bantam Australian Langshan, a Bantam Plymouth Rock, a Bantam Brahma, a Bantam Australorp, a hive of bees and a family of boys.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:50 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I know nothing about quail either so need to do some research. Silkie will (hopefully) mother them separately. We do have wild ones locally apparently, so ideally i can allow them the freedom of our secure orchard but that will depend on whether or not they are likely to be safe from the ducks and geese who will also be living in there once the foot wiring is completed. It would be ideal if they would do some small bug patrol. Have to do some thinking on how best to accommodate them. The other option might be in the Silkie yard. It's a large secure grassed area inside the fully caged veg gardens. If it is all too hard I'll re home them - but couldn't resist the hatching challenge.

another hatched o'nite so 4 out.
Off to buy quail starter now.

Open to advice please :biggrin:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:46 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

sue55 wrote:
I found some (not refrigerated either) but in my excitement I bought 3 little cartons - 11/2 doz eggs, you know the size, like a half doz egg carton. I forgot how little quail eggs are :oops: - 3 doz going into the bator tonight. :hiding Hopefully not 3 doz unfertilised quail eggs.
Any thing special about incubating quail eggs that I need to know? :read

Hi Sue,
One question, did you find the eggs at Dickson.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:45 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Found them at the chicken shop in the Fyshwick markets. Does Dickson have them?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:22 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

sue55 wrote:
Found them at the chicken shop in the Fyshwick markets. Does Dickson have them?

Thinking perhaps that the asian shops in the china town area of Dickson may well sell them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:26 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I tried Mawson there's a few there but no quail eggs, and the one in Mitchell has them but the last lot were close to the ubd. Hadn't thought of Dickson - your turn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:41 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

sue55 wrote:
- your turn

No thanks Sue, plenty out here wild, and at the moment they are gorging themselves in stubble paddocks on grain that has been thrown out back of headers as harvest is in full swing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:52 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

[quote="3Bstuds"No thanks Sue, plenty out here wild, [/quote]

That's reassuring information - hopefully they will be ok free ranging in the orchard then.

Bought a bag of Game Bird Starter today 20 kg looks an awful lot for a few tiny quail :shoc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:14 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Maybe you need a few more quail then, Sue. To use up the game bird starter. The waste would be terrible. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:18 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Anyone remember when quite a few of us were 'dabbling' with quail. Winglet had some good information in a couple of threads, I think this was the main one with her incubation experience, but don't recall eggs from the deli being attempted. I had around 100 at one stage, but that was during the 'fox plague' and prior to bringing alpacas in for fox protection, so I lost most of them to fox attack or panic attack (they are good at that too). Here is one of Winglet's threads, others are probably worth using the search button.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=8032639

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:21 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Quote:
Bought a bag of Game Bird Starter today 20 kg looks an awful lot for a few tiny quail :shoc

My flock of 5 quail went through about 3 20kg bags of food last year, though I suspect the local mice have been helping them out.

I've seen a youtube video of a chicken brooding quail chicks, they seemed to get along well enough.

As for when they are adults, I've never tried keeping them with other poultry but one thing to keep in mind if free ranging them is that they can fly, not very well, but better than a chicken and more than well enough to get over a fence if they were spooked. They would also be in danger from any cats or sparrowhawks in the neighbourhood. That being said they love small bugs, mine stay up late every night to hunt moths. They also make short work of slaters, beetles, crickets, roaches and caterpillars. I bet they'd love being in an orchard as long as it was safe.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:42 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Possum Corner, I went into a panic when it occurred to me that some of these eggs might actually hatch and re read Winglets thread then :read

KChook the orchard is fully bird wire fenced to 3.6m and roofed with bird mesh, 60cm of foot wire and will have shade cloth up 60cm around the base.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:08 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Sounds like quail heaven to me. :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:39 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

So only 4 hatched but I'll leave the other 5 eggs in the bator for another 24 hours. Not unhappy with that for a long shot.

Just moved the chicks to the brooder - no one told me quail chicks are 'spring loaded' :laughing
They seem excessively healthy :rofl:

KChook, how are yours going.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next