Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Buying and Selling Chooks online

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:32 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:46 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi Everyone, I was just wanting to gather everyones thoughts on their current method of buying and selling poultry. I know the old faithful chook auction on a Sunday is still very popular, but has anyone been buying or selling poultry online or using other methods? I'd be keen to hear the positives and negatives of each as well as any improvements which you would like!

Cheers :-D :-D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:05 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I purchased mine from local produce stores. I think I rushed into buying my second set, as I've read mixed reviews about the farm they originally came from. Where I purchased first set, I would go back. My tip research as much as possible.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:29 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

I mainly use Gumtree as can search for specific breeds, can often view parent stock, can narrow down the area and in my opinion can buy better quality stock then whats at the auction which is often peoples culls. Farmstock is good too, but you cant narrow down the area or breed to search so it is to tedious. :thumbs: for Gumtree.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:26 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Have done some via FaceBook, just need to know exactly what it is you are buying, be careful meet in a mututal public place (Maccas or Woolies car park is popular) and definitely practise biosecurity/quarnatine,

Ron

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:53 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

I think it depends on the purpose of buying. If it's just a chook to lay eggs or look fairly okay for whatever breed, then whatever is convenient - weekend market or Facebook groups or Gumtree or the BYP buy-sell thread or Noticeboard, any other on-line advertising.

If seeking better quality birds, maybe show breeding potential, then best to join the nearest Poultry Club, attend some shows, talk to exhibitors/breeders, see what they sell at Club auctions - who offers good birds and who uses the auction to dispose of second string stock. Word of mouth is the best advertising, but you need to be where you might hear it to know what is being recommended.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:20 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Selling Birds is sometimes some what of an art depending on what your selling I buy and sell on Gumtree as the area that you intend to travel can be searched I also use facebook via my daughter, I use my club auctions to sell and buy and for the birds I need to get rid of I go to our weekly poultry auction where the birds are sold basically for a minimum price which means it is the last resort. having said that I have purchased many birds here also Geese, Pigeons and the like ( Geelong weekly and Toolern Vale, Vic monthly)