Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - What disease is this? Scaly, flaky head and neck

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 11:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:45 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Could anyone say what is affecting these hens.
The skin of their neck and face is very dry, slightly thickened, wrinkly and flaky.
They have been like this for many weeks.
They are eating and drinking and getting about normally. Stopped laying (but so have most of my others).
They are not showing any other lesions.
I can not see any obvious parasites in this area. However, it reminds me of demodectic mange in dogs.
The chooks do have lice and there are mites.
About 1/5 or 1/4 of the hens have this, the others are showing no signs of it after many weeks of these being affected.
thanks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:31 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

there is such a disease as scaly face mite, caused by a similar or the same(i don't quite recall accurately) as the scaly leg mite. i would suspect that your birds have this problem. an ivomectin type treatment should have a positive effect.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:42 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I think the same as Caladenia. Cnemidocoptes ( depluming itch mite) can cause head / face lesions.

You could always do a light skin scraping to check.

I did treat a clients birds once with revolution for a similar looking condition and it worked. But you could probably use pyrethrum sprays / malathion etc. Obviously being careful around the eyes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:27 am 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Yes - Again I think its a skin burrowing mite. As Stella said, a skin scaping done by a vet and a quick look under a microscope would confirm that and it would totally eliminate a fungal infection (which is another possible option but less likely)

Sometimes its necessary to go the extra step to be sure. Ivermectin will work againsts mites as will the stuff Stella mentioned. Betadine will work against a fungus as will any of the tinea or jock itch creams.

In both cases the improvement wont be fast. So be patient and consistant with the applications. Dont overdo the Ivermectins though if you go that route. Follow the directions on dosage closely as overdosing with a mectin will cause problems.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:49 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

My vet told me a good way to save money on a consult (I know who would have thought :shock: ) was to stick a piece of sellotape to the affected area then peel off and fold it in half on itself. Take it to the vet who can look under the microscope and find and greeblies if there are any, and dispence the treatment or advice. It saves the chook the stress as well. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:37 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Thank you all, it confirms what I thought about it looking just like demodectic mange - i.e. its the poultry equivalent with Cnemidocoptes.
I've treated them with Moxidectin pour-on. However, they might get the chop anyway because I wanted to sell all my healthy chooks in the next few weeks and replace with new lot, but confirms it will be easy to get rid of with a quarantine and spray period..
I'll describe this in another thread.
thanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:18 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Well, one month on from when I first posted this and these girls had 2 treatments with Cydectin Pour-on -( the cattle treatment with Moxidectin). I dribbled about 1-2 ml on their bare necks, about a week apart.

They have a very healthy lot of new feathers on the back of their necks, I guess the front may take longer.

They are actually going to a new home tomorrow!

cheeps

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:18 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Excellant

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:26 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Avian Ringworm or Flavus? Take a scraping to your vet and have them take a look under the microscope.