Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Fermented feed

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:43 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fermented feed
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:43 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hey all,
I ran into someone at a poultry show and we had a conversation about fermented chicken feed. He said he saved heaps of money not buying pellets anymore.
My question to you guys is ok to slowly introduce a fermented feed into my flock and removed the pellets all together?
The recipe was
Lucerne chaff, Cracked corn, Whole wheat, Sunflower seeds add water over night stirring twice.
Than drain water and add livamol, meat meal and shell grit and serve.

Do you think this is ok or should I add more items?

i forgot to add he changed to this feed not only to save money but the he gets healthier show birds and better eggs

Post subject: Re: Fermented feed
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:07 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Depending on temperature not much fermentation is going to happen overnight. At higher temperatures/longer period it will depend on what bacteria or fungi get hold of the brew.
To me this looks more like a question of ration formulation which is in turn about balancing the ration to meet the particular needs of the birds being fed.
I have not seen any convincing evidence for the benefits of fermentation although some people swear by it.

Post subject: Re: Fermented feed
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:42 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I wouldn't be adding the lucerne chaff. Just the whole grains.
Fermenting allows for some nutrients to be unlocked that other wise wouldn't be and contains good bacteria etc.....
I ferment oats for my birds.
Make sure all grain is completely covered with water and stir in a little ACV, youll have to check on it each day to make sure its still covered with water as they soak the water up and give them a stir. winter takes a little longer but usually they take about 4-5 days. Youll start seeing some little bubbles and it should smell sweet. then its ready to start using.
You are never going to get any fermentation over night, that just soaked grain, it will be a little softer but thats about it. Can't see it saving you any money feed wise but your birds may well be healthier for it.