Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - feather loss around head and clear liquid from beak

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:14 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:34 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

This one has me stumped. I have never seen it before. I thought it was a moult but the girls are looking lethargic this weekend and the feathers aren't really growing back. About 4 of 10 hens have it.
Breed: Orpington bantams

Your Location- Canberra

What is wrong? What symptoms have you noted? - Loss of feather around neck area. Some have feathers growing and others don't. About 4 of 10 hens have it. Quite a few bald patches. And the feathers are arrow shaped on the ends. But only around the head. The other body feathers seem fine. No sign of other parasites, skin looks healthy, cloaca looks healthy.
Today when i picked up a girl to take a photo a clear watery liquid poured out of her beak.
These girls are given worm tablets and ivomectin every three months are start of the season. They were done 2 weeks ago.
I think I noticed this moulting/baldness around 3-4 weeks ago.
Last weekend I treated their housing for mites but I do this thoroughly every summer.

What are you feeding? - They are feed 1/4 mix of Laucke Show pellets and the green bag scratch mix plus greens and kitchen scraps. They are fed from a Grandpa feeder thing that they have to stand on.

Their area is bird and rat proof and completely covered and we lock them in the house every night.

Full droppings description.- I'm not so sure. We've had lots of rain. I haven't noticed anything unusual such as blood in poo or watery poo.

Respiratory Changes?- today there was a watery discharge from her beak when i picked her up.

Digestive Changes?- They all seem to be eating, especially the food scraps

Condition Changes?- eg. on reflection her feathers are dull

Behavioural Changes?- social

Agility Changes? - Seem low on energy, easier to catch

Describe your usual worming routine and products.- yep worm tablets and ivomectin every 3 months are season change

1. When was the bird last wormed??- 2 weeks ago

2. What product was used to worm the bird, and how was it given? ? Vetafarm worm tablets

3. Was a follow up dose given? No

Any other recent medications?- ivomectin drops to back of neck

Other changes? – No

Photos? –

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:36 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Not sure how to attach a photo...

http://gallery.backyardpoultry.com/husb ... blems.html

Last edited by quince on Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:42 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:31 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

So I'm thinking malnutrition and short on protein. I've started Sandy's ticket diet.
Any advice to whatever else might be going on would be greatly appreciated. thanks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:58 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I have nothing like that seen before. But my thoughts are:
Ivomectin has been found not to work in chickens. It can cause hair loss in cattle.
The clear fluid from its beak may be a separate problem.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:12 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

So for those interested she has turned a corner. I started Sandy's ricket diet yesterday (with some sunflower kernel and apple cider vinegar thrown in), and after some TLC and force feeding her on three occasions she now has enough strength to regain her interest in food and water, and this afternoon is eating the mash along with all the others. She still has a way to go but is so much better than she was last night. Last night she didn't have the strength to make it into the chook house and I didn't expect her to last the night. Today she is perky and interested and moving about.
My guess is she was so weak that she picked up an extra respiratory infection. That also seems to have improved.
So my lessons from this are as follows:
-Ensure they have a well balanced diet high in protein, especially when they start to moult. Don't expect to throw kitchen scraps at them and assume they are eating a well balanced diet. Just because they have full bellies doesn't mean its protein rich.
-Keep a low percentage of scratch mix in their feed and don't let them fill up on it alone.
-Moulting means you should be extra careful of their diets and keep an eye out on the rate of regrowth and feather condition.
:read
I knew that they had been treated recently for parasites, no sign of lice or scale on the legs and that their housing is mite free but I have added more Pestene to their bedding today and i've done the bare arm test. Their vents/cloacas were clean. There was no pecking or significant bullying or raw red skin. Elimination meant it could be diet related.
So now I'll hope that they will all start to improve. I'll continue to feed them Sandy's ricket mash tomorrow and then again on the weekend and keep a close eye on them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:19 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

globi what do you use instead of ivomectin? I've always found it pretty effective and have never had a problem with feathers falling out before. Have you experienced loss of feathers in chickens after using ivomectin, or know someone who has, or just in hair loss on cattle? I'm really interested. thanks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:37 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I have never seen loss of feathers, but loss of hair in cattle. I think it even says so on the lable.
I have no clue weather this goes for feathers, it just came to my mind.
The reason for its ineffectiveness is that chickens don't have the fat cells under the skin to store the Ivermectin. There is a thread on this forum where it was discussed.

I use Moxidectin or Moxidectin plus, which is formulated for chickens and kills worms and all blood-sucking pests, external and internal, and can be put into their drinking water. It is a cydectin as well.
I have used Ivomectin for chickens years ago and it has never been very successful. Seemed to help but not get rid of things.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:10 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Thanks for that globi. I didn't realise there was a preference between ivo and moxi.
I normally buy ivomectin from the vet. Where do i source a Moxidectin? Is it sold in a brand named mix through a farm supplier? thanks again :th

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:51 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

No, Quince, I didn’t realise till it was discussed at some vet symposium, I think. Few years ago now, that I read it on this forum. You could try and do a search.
I still use the Ivermectin on wombats with mange, where they are trialling dose rates. It is NOT straight forward, unfortunately.

I buy Moxidectin (there is also a Moxidectin plus, which does tapeworm, too) from the bird clinic in Melbourne. I send them an email and give my VISA detail over the phone. They are very helpful and helped me with free advice.
http://www.melbournebirdvet.com/
There may be other suppliers like Geckodan in Queensland (?) who is a vet, I think and very good, I’m told.
http://www.geckodan.com/?page=poultry#chookshop

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:04 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Great thanks again. In the meantime i did find the Melbourne Avian Vet through Google and yes they were very helpful on the phone and i've ordered some Moxidectin Plus which she said is bitter so best to dose them with a syringe directly in the beak rather than in their water.
The other good news is she is getting stronger, eating well and she managed to get into the coop tonight with the other girls by her own initiative. Absolutely no sign of mites or lice or any creatures anywhere on her. All the other hens appear fine if a little haggard, with feathers starting to grow out of the follicles now and all are eating well. I'll feed more rickets diet mash tomorrow and then slow it down for a few days and keep an eye on them. Fingers crossed. :clnava

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:33 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Good luck.