Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - How/what do broody hens feed their chicks?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:35 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I am raising my 1st chicks. Feeding, watering, using heat lamp etc etc.
Wondering:
When adult, wont my breeders be capable of raising their chicks.
without a human help. What in the care routine changes. E.g. heat lamp is broody hen. Chicken starter was/is not available in wild . What will broody hen feed them, regurgitated food?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:13 am 

We currently have chicks under a heat lamp and also a hen with a chick. It's always great watching them. Then hen chews up insects for it and spits them out. Same with scraps. It can feed on grass itself. As for heat the hen sorts that out.

An interesting obseration is that it is growing at a noticeably lower rate than the chicks we're caring for of the same age but it's still healthy.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:52 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

You need to provide chick starter crumble for a hen with chicks. This is essential. Both the hen and chicks will eat this food. They need to have the food available 24/7. This is the kind of food they need (not this brand necessarily but just this kind of food): http://www.lauckemills.com.au/products/ ... ullet/5684

Hens do pick up and drop food items to show the chicks what to eat but they are not chewing up or regurgitating the food for the chicks. They are just showing the chicks where the food is.

For a water supply you need something that the chicks can’t drown in. One of the green and white bell shaped waterers is good.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:41 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I think it also depends on what is available to eat, as well as the season and what else they need to contend with. We've had a broody raising 6 chicks in an enclosed area that had a high level of mulch that had not been disturbed for a while (so it was all as nature intended it and full of "good stuff".) Those chicks were fatter and bigger than others that have been raised in other environments and although they had chick starter available, they didn't seem to be eating it very fast.

I think a hen will find what it can to feed her chicks. They seem to know what's good. Whenever we have had a hen raising chicks, there has also always been chick starter available, but as said, sometimes the starter goes slowly and sometimes quickly. It might be seasonal and it might be forage quality.... As long as the chicks a healthy and active, it would be OK. :-D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:08 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Sounds like a hen is not capable of living without a human to feed them. That's very unusual in the animal world.
I have no recall of us ever feeding chickens. Like ever! When I was growing up. Not a coup in sight. They used the hay barns and trees. The dogs kept predators at bay. But my memory is not what it used to be.
Currently 9 week chicks are in a run 15' x 15'. Its on a very old abandoned rose garden. Lots of mulch, grasses, seeds, and way too many insects for my liking. But they are tucking into. And they have doubled in size in a week. Food n water down 24/7.
I'm not feeding grit as garden has enough for them.
So far, so good.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:28 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Domestic chickens are very different to their wild ancestors. They are much bigger (most breeds), grow faster and lay a huge number of eggs, compared to wild ancestors who would lay only a dozen eggs per year.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:51 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Feral domestic chickens live and breed in numerous places around the world. Even in suitable climates similar to that occupied by their wild ancestors highly selected varieties are going to be a lot less capable than less fancy varieties and any variety will require a large area of habitat to sustain them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:56 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thankyou. I 'get it'.
Im a dog person, so now understand it. If your average pet dog had to hunt to eat, theyd starve to death.
Ditto domesticated chickens.