Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Araucana rooster

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:18 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Araucana rooster
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:52 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi everyone. I'm new here, and came across this post when searching for info about araucana roosters. It's frustratingly difficult to find any detailed information about the breed, particularly regarding the temperament of the roosters.
Anyway, I have a mixed flock of chickens. 3 Deutsche Legehühner mix breed( we did have 4 but lost one to the local fox), and 4 blausperber hens and one blausperber rooster. Sorry for the German names. I live in Germany and don't know the English names for these chickens. We recently bought 4 araucana hens (one escaped in less than 24 hours and most likely ended up breakfast for the foxes), so we only have 3. I'm very happy with them.
Currently, we seem to have a problem with bullying. All four blausperber hens have visible signs of being pecked. There are raw patches all over their backs, mostly at the base of the wings. The big Deutsche Legehühner mixes have very little signs of being bullied, but they are big enough to keep the others in check. The 3 araucana hens, who we got at around 16 weeks old, are still young. They took to the big Deutsche Legehühner right away, often hiding under them or sleeping near them at night. The araucana hens have no signs of being bullied, but I do see that all the blausperber hens and the rooster run them off when there's anything tasty to eat, and are very clear about who's in charge. At night, the rooster sleeps together with all 4 blausperber hens, and they often band together at night.
He's a relatively docile rooster towards people, and I don't see him bullying his favourite girls, but I suspect he's the culprit. He's only about a year old now, so his dominant nature is only just starting to show.
I don't have a problem with a rooster who keeps out intruders, even if it means being aggressive towards people. What's important for me is that the rooster shouldn't harm the chickens but should be very protective of them, because we do have a lot of fixed in the area. They never used to bother us, because they had a very consistent supply of chickens from a big free range chicken farm nearby. But the farm closed recently and the foxes are desperate. So, a protective rooster is a good thing.
Anyway, because of my suspicions about the rooster bullying the girls, I'm considering getting an araucana rooster. I love the hens, but I don't know anything about the roosters, and can't find much on the subject. So, I'm hoping maybe I can get some feedback from people here with a lot of experience with araucana roosters.
What kind of temperament do they tend to have?
Do they tend to be aggressive towards their hens, or are they usually friendly?
Are they protective of their flock?
Any information that can help me decide if it is worth getting one would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:12 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

your hens lost they feathers on they back is not due to bullying it is due to matting .that is normal if the rooster have his favorite hen ,he will mount her so often ,so she will lose her feather .top of the wings and her back .
need to get saddle for thy back to protect them or move the rooster from the flock .
any rooster will do that to they favorite hen regardless of the breed ,

for the Araucana rooster I had a good line and they where very nasty to other rooster but very good with they hens .no problem with me .
I don t have them any more ,

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:38 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

jose wrote:
your hens lost they feathers on they back is not due to bullying it is due to matting .that is normal if the rooster have his favorite hen ,he will mount her so often ,so she will lose her feather .top of the wings and her back .
need to get saddle for thy back to protect them or move the rooster from the flock .
any rooster will do that to they favorite hen regardless of the breed ,

for the Araucana rooster I had a good line and they where very nasty to other rooster but very good with they hens .no problem with me .
I don t have them any more ,

Seriously?! Wow! Thank you for this information. This isn't my first time raising chickens, but I never had a rooster before. I'm glad to know that at least is isn't bullying. Thanks again. I really had no idea that it could be a result of mating.
I still am considering getting an araucana rooster, but maybe it can wait a while.