Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - How to feed new chooks in flock with bad eating habits!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:48 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:59 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I have 2 remaining Wyandotte bantams from an original flock of 6. They are getting on - nearly 6 years old now. So I'm hoping to introduce some new hens this spring, possibly some Barnevelder (full size) young chicks a friend is raising. When we got the Wyandottes, they were used to scratch mix and free ranging, plus some kitchen scraps. I've unsucessfully tried to get them to eat pellets, crumble... I figured with their smaller beaks they just couldn't handle the pellets. But if anything they have become fussier over time and now they leave around half of the seed too - mainly they freerange and have been really healthy chooks. But I don't want the new chooks to pick up their bad habits with all the waste! Is the only way to wait until my 2 remaining hens shuffle off the perch? They hardly lay now and I could be waiting another year or more.

I can't see how I can introduce new birds and get them eating different feed. Aside from the 2 weeks quarantine period when I introduce them.

Any ideas welcome. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:14 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Chicks love fruit and veg, and they're generally healthy options for treats. If they're ripe and soft, it's fine to feed them whole and allow the chicks to peck, but anything hard needs to be chopped into small pieces. In the case of veg, grating or spiralizing them is a great way to feed. :nuts :hug

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:46 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

stand firm, they will not starve to death.

feed them what you want them to eat

they will give in :)