Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - goose who won't leave the empty nest

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:22 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:01 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Our African goose, Lucy, whom we inherited from our neighbors who moved back east, has been laying eggs every 2-3 days for the couple of months we've had her (it's spring here). She hasn't laid one in about 3 days, and she hasn't gotten off of her nest much in that time. Today I was relieved to see her visiting one of the chicken pens and then giving herself a vigorous beak bath, so I snuck into her pen to get her egg--but still didn't find one. The next time I checked, she was back on her nest. She doesn't seem to have any symptoms of being eggbound. She has a high-protein diet supplemented with oyster shell. I'm not sure how old she is--her previous owners guessed at 5-7 years. This is our first goose. I know they lay for only a few months, and she has been very regular during that time. Is this some sort of end-of-cycle behavior, or could there be something else going on? She is very relaxed with us at arm's length but fusses, hisses, and snaps if we get closer. I've never picked her up. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:11 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

She's just broody, lock her out of the pen for a few days :-)

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:15 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks, I've read that elsewhere and am hoping that is the case. It's just weird that she was never broody when she was actually laying eggs. I locked her out of her pen yesterday. I checked on her several times, and she was sitting in various places in the yard. She was walking around near her pen when I put her to bed last night. This morning when I opened the pen, she toddled on out. However, I just checked again, and she's back in there. So I'll go shoo her out and shut the door again. I understand that it may take several days to break her of her broodiness.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:54 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Well, it does seem to have been a case of post-egg broodiness! It's taken over a week of ushering her out of her pen every morning and locking her out of it, but she finally leaves the pen of her own volition in the morning, roaming the yard and bossing the chickens and her duck pal around. I even have to herd her back into the pen at night! Thanks for the support!

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:09 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

It can take quite a while until they get the message, that broodiness can be really strong in some birds.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:03 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Geese are very determined sitters. Like, unbelievably. I've had them sit for 4+ months, right into hot summer weather. Sitting is often triggered by cold weather (here in the tropics) so even without an egg weather might have started her off.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:40 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks, Essie Mae! She's actually stopped setting. John had suggested, back in May, that I lock her out of her pen every day. She wasn't very happy with me, but it worked after about a week. Where I live, on the central coast of California, we have very mild weather all year round. While the temperature range is narrow, the temperature on any given day can be anywhere within that range, bouncing around from high to low or anywhere in between. Next year, if this happens again, I'll have to pay attention to the temperature when she goes broody and see if we're having a cold snap.