Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Day 25 Hen won't leave nest - 2 chicks born day 21

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:16 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 8:18 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

My hen has a large clutch of eggs (around 20 laid at different times) that she has been laying on for 25 days. Two chicks hatched on day 21 but the hen hasn't left the next box with them (only to poo).

I have put chicken starter and water in the nest box, which the chicks and hen have been eating (I haven't seen them drinking).

Should I remove the hen and two chicks and take the remaining eggs away?

I didn't mark the eggs with the date they were laid as I didn't want to disturb her (I only read about doing that after they had all be laid!)

Many thanks for any advice.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 2:38 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

JacquiHyne wrote:
My hen has a large clutch of eggs (around 20 laid at different times) that she has been laying on for 25 days. Two chicks hatched on day 21 but the hen hasn't left the next box with them (only to poo).

I have put chicken starter and water in the nest box, which the chicks and hen have been eating (I haven't seen them drinking).

Should I remove the hen and two chicks and take the remaining eggs away?

I didn't mark the eggs with the date they were laid as I didn't want to disturb her (I only read about doing that after they had all be laid!)

Many thanks for any advice.

normally last eggs laid will hatch first .the older eggs take longer day 23 or 24 some times .
you can candle the rest of the eggs to see if they have chicks .
give her few extra days and see what happen .
good luck

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:23 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi Jose

Thanks so much. Just to clarify are you saying the last eggs laid hatch first? Why? That seems counter intuitive.

Two more chicks hatched but the hen was not sitting on them and keeping them warm as she was off with the older two showing them how to feed. The two new chicks (5 days younger than their siblings) were chirping their little hearts out but the hen still didn't go to them and sit on them to keep them warm, one was quite weak looking so I ended up putting them under a heat plate in a chick raising creche.

Once they are stronger I will put them back with the hen and the other two chicks.

I removed all the other eggs from the hen as she had lost interest in sitting on them.