Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Rat Trap Challenge

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:42 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rat Trap Challenge
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:01 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi to all in the backyard,
I think I have a rat living somewhere in the chicken run. I have baits outside the run and a trap but I would like to place some bait inside the run as well as I think it must spend a lot of time in there with the chicken pellets and water. My challenge to all is can ANYONE come up with a bait station/ housing which is chicken proof and SUPER EASY to construct as I am extremely poor in the carpentry area and hubby is too busy to do much at this time. So anything out of ice cream containers even?
Cheers Elsie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:12 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi Elsie .... I was at the produce store yesterday getting a few chookie supplies. The guy next to me was buying a "mouse trap". It appeared to be a small, fully enclosed, tin-type box and I am assuming you put the bait inside the box, then when the mouse enters it the door shuts, trapping the mouse inside for your disposal.

If no-one else comes up with any solutions, perhaps you could check out your local produce supply store to see if they have anything there.

You would have to be very certain that your bait was secure as I would hate for your chookies to get it by mistake!

Helen. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:25 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi Elsie,
I can't think of anything worse than a rat actually living in your chicken coop. Have you lost any of your chickens/chooks yet? I remember when I was a child that there was an enormous rat that burrowed into my dads chook pen and pulled the full grown pullets off their perches. When the chook was on the ground the rat would chew through the poor birds throat. My dad finally caught the rat after seeing how and where it made its getaway. He laid a rabbit trap in the dirt where its trail was and he caught it by its leg. I can still remember how he gleefully drowned it in a bucket still attached to the trap.
You can buy a humane trap that will catch the rat alive. It looks like a small cage made of strong wire mesh and a wire frame. The trap is about 300mm long x 100mm high and 100mm wide. The rat goes in to eat a bait and the door at the entrance snaps shut and becomes locked. These are a great way to catch such vermin as rats. However, killing the scum of a thing will present a problem. There are not many alternatives to find a way to kill it.
:twisted:
You can drown it by dropping the cage in a deep bucket of water.
You can shoot it with a suitable firearm, like a 22 or air rifle.
You can stab the thing with a knife or something sharp.
You can gas it with the car exhaust in a cardboard box.
Apart from shooting it, any of the other ways to dispatch the filthy thing will most likely have the SPCA knocking on your door. :shock:
The most important thing is, DONT under any circumstances, attempt to remove the rat from the trap while it is still alive. The worst thing to happen is to have the beast bite you or even scratch you. The trap needs to be "set" very lightly and the bait needs to be tied onto the trigger with solid stainless steel fishing wire trace, just low strength wire will do nicely. After the bait is fastened on, it's a very good idear if not an essential, to "flame" the bait and trap to remove any human smell from it. Place bricks arount the baited end of the trap if its in the coop so the chooks cant set it off. Another way would be to call in the "Ratters" from the council. Some councils have a bloke with a team of fox terriers who go around destroying all the rats. The foxies do a fantastic job but you will need to put all your chooks and ducks etc. safely away or they will also be destroyed by the foxies. Good luck in your quest, I wish you all the very best.
Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:40 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Wedge wrote:
Hi Elsie,
You can buy a humane trap that will catch the rat alive. It looks like a small cage made of strong wire mesh and a wire frame. The trap is about 300mm long x 100mm high and 100mm wide. The rat goes in to eat a bait and the door at the entrance snaps shut and becomes locked.

This is the type of trap I saw the guy buying at our local produce store yesterday ..... sounds like the best way of catching rats/mice in the chook house. And, you would never believe this..... I was late shutting my chooks in tonight and it was dark when I went in there ..... and a mouse scurried out! Aaaaaaarrggggg! So, I guess I'll be off to buy a trap myself.

Helen. :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:30 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all your replies. I have one of those wire traps which are the humane ones and I have tried them once before but it wasn't very successful. Apparently, some rats are very trap shy. In other words they are jolly smart little buggers. I spoke to an man who has seen lots of rat problems and he reckons catching them with those wire cages are very difficult. Perhaps the tasty morsel I was baiting them with was not to their liking!! (I used bread and peanut butter which the ants enjoyed!) Has any one had success with them say within a week of setting them?
Cheers Elsie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:22 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I'm just wondering: why would you want to trap a live rat? Would it not be more humane to exact a clean and quick kill?

Some traps do this. However, my success has been to introduce a predator.

Cats.

When I take my chickens in of a night, they go to work and they do a great job. No need for the use of dangerous poison, no need for messy traps.

However, if a cat is not available, Coca-Cola is an excellent deterrent - it literally blows them up (not instantly, for those of you hoping for a little incendiary action). Another method is cement, flour and jelly crystals. Mix 1:1:half and then sprinkle (away from your chooks, obviously).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:28 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi Acorn,
Thanks for the reply. I would like to bait them actually, you know they nibble the poison and then go away to die! I'm not that keen on executing them myself but at this point I will try anything. The cement,jelly and flour doesn't sound too humane either (not that it is an issue for me when it comes to rats.). Does this kill them or does it just give them a gianourmous tummy ache? :wink:
Cheers Elsie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:58 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I recently had a rat in the garage near my duck pen and I live on a farm so I purchased a product from my produce store called Tomcat 11 it is one feed and fast acting. I put the bait near the walls near some timber and 2 days later my husband found the horrible thing dead as a door nail.
It works a treat and it is the only thing I use I have not had a problem with my chooks, ducks eating it just put it where they can't reach it. I'm terrified of rats and mice even dead ones, so the hubby removes them. It clears any infestation brilliantly> Hubby uses it in the hayshed and we have no rats or mice there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:33 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Quote:
"I'm just wondering: why would you want to trap a live rat? Would it not be more humane to exact a clean and quick kill?
Acorn"

The reason the humane trap was sugested was because it can be set up within the nests and laying. eating area of the chook pen. There is no possibility of any chook being hurt or poisoned using this form of trap. If a trap can be set (safe from the chooks) where the rats come and go, then a standard spring loaded trap will certainly work. These large rat traps are very fast and very strong. They will usually kill the rat outright. The rats however, are "blessed" with incredibly fast reflexes. I remember one I caught, it saw the wire arm of the trap comming and it jumped backwards. As it jumped, the wire arm of the horizontal part of the spring smacked the rat fair and square on the end of its nose. The blow was taken directly into its face and it died instantly as it fell. It was not held by nor was it touching any part of the trap. These traps are great but they are not for the squeamish as there is usually lots of red stuff spread around the trap when the rat is caught. As for employing a predator, well ANY predator is instantly destroyed if found anywhere on our property. We will never have a cat here as they kill the glorious birds that flock here throughout the year. So far I have identified over 35 species and there are at least the same number to be id'. This morning when I left home there were over 20 kangaroos feeding around the house. Most of them had little baby joeys with them. We have lost many roos and joeys to feral dogs and dingoes and I am certain that feral cats have also killed them. The biggest feral cat we have seen on our property stood half a meter high from the ground to the top of its back. It's one of the very few that managed to get away unscathed. We also have betongs and possums here and half meter long bearded dragons. We have never lost any chickens to any predator (yet) and hope we never will.

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:22 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I have chooks and ducks and at the moment I have a few mice running round. I decided to get a "Rat Zapper" Victor M250 for $59.95 from Nariel Valley Vic this is their website.
www.users.bigpond.com/gregnank/ratzapper/orderform.html
This device is brilliant. It has caught a mouse every night. No poison no worries about chooks getting hurt.
What it does is it electrocutes them so no mess. It is run by 4 batteries so you can put it anywhere. The only drawback is once it has caught a mouse you have to empty and reset. At least you dont have to touch the little rodents and you can feed them to the chooks. They love mice. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:24 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Tony's Latest Answer To Rats And Mice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:40 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I use rat bait and place it under an inverted terracotta plant pot which has a small hole in the side. The chooks can't knock it over and get at the poison.

Something like this :
-------____
-------/-----\
------/-------\
-----/---------\
----/----_------\
---/___| |____\

:D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:07 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi Peter,
Yours is exactly the ingenuity I was after... no nails or skills required!! I will keep this idea filed in my head for a later date. I actually went out and bought some lockable bait stations which were quite costly due to the fact I lacked imagination and invetiveness like you!!. One thing you might like to consider though is to make sure the poison bait you use is secured in a way that the rodent can't drag it out the pot. Some rodents do this and the chickens can then eat the stuff. The lockable bait stations secure the block of bait so it can't leave the box.
Cheers Elsie :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:57 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

There's only one problem with using poison. Well okay there are many but there's one that immediately stands out.

Rats are much smarter than mice (I'm not joking, they are) and when they do get out of those traps, which they invariably do, they are fed on by birds and other creatures which in some cases allow the contamination to spread. I never use poison directly in and around the coop.

Furry, that Rat Zapper sounds awesome. Might look into that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:34 am 

I was happy to trap mice, but once I saw my first rat I just wanted it to die - somewhere away from me. Much as I hate chemicals, we're going the poison route at the moment.

I read about a bait station in a book (can't remember which one), which I managed to put together myself, and it works really well.

I got some lengths of PVC pipe offcuts from a local building site. 2 pieces at least 50cm long, and one piece about 1m long. Went to the hardware store and bought a 'T' joiner (cost about $2). The 2 short lengths of pipe go in the top of the T, and the long bit forms the body of the T. Then you turn the whole thing uspide down, so that there is a tunnel lying on the ground, with a 1m pipe sticking up from it (a cap for the end cost about $1 to stop the rain getting in). Lean or tie it up against a fence, wall etc. You can drop the rat bait down the 1m length of pipe - it sits in the middle of the tunnel, and the rats and mice can get to it, but not the chooks.

upside down T

put bait in up here

...........|
...........|
...........|
...........|
...........|
-------------------- rats enter down here

the only thing I found was that the rats would drag some of the poison pellets out with them, and there would be a little collection on the dirt at the end of the tunnel. I now put the bait stations next to the run, not in it - and put a roof tile or similar leaning against the wall at the end to cover the end of the pipe/dirt area so that wild birds etc cant get it. When I refill the bait station, if there is any there, I just pick it up with a trowel and put it back in the top.