Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Pale Dry Combs

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:51 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pale Dry Combs
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:00 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi to all you chicken lovers,
I have 2 healthy feather foot bantams most of the time but every now and then their lovely vibrant red combs seem to go pale and look dry like they are in need of my moisturerizer? Is there a cycle to their appearence related to weather? or is there something wrong with them? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:06 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hi Lesley pale combs in hens usually indicate that they are laying eggs...the paler the comb the more eggs they have laid...also the colour of their ear lobes will also indicate the number of eggs that they have laid...very interesting isn't it??
Looloo

Post subject: Pale dry combs
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:32 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I think Looloo is riding on a different tram to to the rest of us. Pale dry combs on a hen are an indication of condition. And in nearly sixty years involvemnt in Poultry I have yet to see a hen in full lay with a pale dry comb. It is usually accompanied by the moult period or just after, and can also be an indication of impending illness. I would also be interested to hear how the ear loibes indicate the number of eggs the fowl has laid.
granpa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:11 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Sometimes when a hen of a yellow legged breed has been laying a lot, her leg colour can fade a bit, but certainly red combs are an indication that a bird is in peak breeding condition as mentioned by "granpa". If the birds were in the nest box actually laying an egg, it would explain paleness, but it would return instantly.

Some birds get "blanched" in the face (opposite to flushed?). Large Australorp females are prone to it, especially when placed in show pens. Bread soaked in milk can help this.

You can rub some baby oil/olive oil or vasoline on their combs to fix the dryness.

Something of more concern is when the combs "shrink" and go pale, indicating the bird has some serious problems.

Andy.V

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:21 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks for the prompt replies. They have been helpful. I have noticed , now that it has been pointed out to me, that the out of condition comb appearences do occur when they are losing their feathers. I do not feel that in this instance it is an indication of impending illness as they seem to behave and feed as normal. I have never had to seek vet treatment in both episodes that I have noticed it. Thanks heaps :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:39 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

COMB................. the pinker or redder the comb is an indicator that the hen is laying..... the duller or less color the comb is an indicator that the hen has gone off the lay for one reason or another

Ear lobe feather color.........Is only an indicator of what color shell the hen may lay...sorry about the mix up there. :?
The dangling part of the ear will also indicate if she is laying or not laying ... all depends on the depth of red color... same with wattles

Characteristics Indication Ability to lay

Comb & Wattles – Layer - large, bright red glossy combs and wattles – Non-layer – small, dull, shrivelled combs and wattles

Head – Layer - neat, refined head – Non layer – beefy, weak head

Eyes – Layer – bright and prominent – Non-layer – dull and sunken

Eye ring – Layer – bleached – Non-layer – yellow tinted

Beak – Layer – bleached – Non-layer – yellow

Abdomen – Layer – deep, soft and pliable – Non-layer – shallow, tough, and tight

Pubic bones – Layer – flexible and wide apart – Non-layer – stiff and close together

Vent – Layer – large, moist and bleached – Non-layer – small, dry, puckered and yellow :shock:

Here are the bleaching Requirements for number of eggs laid.

Vent. number of eggs required to bleach. 0-10
Eyering. number of eggs required to bleach. 8-12
Earlobe. number of eggs required to bleach. 8-10
Beak. number of eggs required to bleach. 35
Bottom of feet. number of eggs required to bleach. 50-60
Front of Shank. number of eggs required to bleach. 90-100

Hope this helps
Looloo :)