Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Treating scaly leg

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:06 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Treating scaly leg
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:56 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

hey,

Does anyone know how to treat scaly legs. Because a couple of my purebreeds that i wish to show next year have a bad case of scaly leg. So bad that they look like they are growing toes off there legs. Please could someone give me a list of remedies/steps in which i can cure this problem once and for all.

Thanks,

Jayden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:07 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Jayden,

Any oils (olive, sunflower) rubbed into the leg will get rid of it. The easiest one I use is WD40, if you dont like using that, the olive oil in a spray can works as well. Any of the aerosol oils are less messy to use.

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:17 pm 

Vics VapoRub or vaseline work well and are probably cheaper.

Post subject: ok
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:12 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

hey,

Thanks for all your replies, I'll try the vasoline and if that don't work then I'll try the oils.

Thanks again,

Jayden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:35 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Jayden...vaseline will make a dreadful mess...I would use olive oil applied to clean legs....Here is some information for you to read..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scaly leg mite

Occurance:
These usually occur on unfeathered parts of the body particularly the legs

Spread:
They spread via contact with the environment and other birds and are mainly a problem in older free range birds.

Symptoms:
They burrow into the skin under the scales of the bird’s legs causing a lot of irritation
Eventually the legs thicken with debris and crust.
The birds will go lame

Treatment:
Ensure that as much scale debris as possible is cleaned off (eg. using a soft toothbrush and warm soapy water) and then an insecticide solution (diluted of course) is brushed into the legs gently, or some form of oil treatment.

DON'T PULL THE SCALES OFF THE LEGS

If you use an insecticide solution make sure you dilute to the right consistency.. never just put it on neat or you will kill your birds as the insecticide will be absorbed into the chicken system and be too strong....... in effect you will poison your bird

Use a small paint brush and lightly paint the legs

Treatment schedule to make sure they are gone:
Week one - clean and apply treatment
Week two - treatment only
Week three - treatment only
Week four - treatment only
Week eight - treatment only
Week twelve - treatment only

By this time the scaly leg mite should be gone, but if you have a badly infected bird it can take up to 12 months doing monthly application to get rid of them

OTHER TREATMENTS:

The FDA does not approve this treatment.
If you decide to use it you use it at your own risk.

A treatment for dogs called “Frontline”, you use 4 to 6 drops per large bird and 2 to 4 drops for bantams, it is administered to the back of the head, at the base of the neck onto the skin not the feathers, it kills all external parasites including the stick fast flea, scaly leg mite, and mites and such, withholding period is 14 days

Another unapproved treatment is Ivermectin or Cydectin cattle pour on, it is used the same as Frontline.I use Moxidectin applied to the back of the neck...
You can buy “Ivermect” injections for your birds, the FDA approves this, each bird would need two injections to fix it, and these are administered 14 days apart.

Some people will suggest you use CRC or WD-40 – these sprays are full of chemicals, and the bird will absorb these chemicals into its system… and what goes into the system comes out in the eggs... I personally do not recommend you use this.

I go out at night when they are asleep, quietly pick up a bird, bring her inside, wash her legs if they need to be washed, then paint the legs with the kero oil mix, then quietly return her to her perch, she is so drowsy that she does not fight, and goes straight back to sleep while the oil/kero does its job

Or I wait until I am going to treat them for lice and mites and do their legs at the same time

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT SCALY LEG MITES
A bit of extra information that you might like to know
As the scaly leg mite come off one bird, falls to the ground, but does not die and then moves onto another host and infects them, with doing all my birds they are not likely to be reinfected by the mite

It is very hard to get rid of once you have it, the only way is to be vigilant and the minute you suspect that any of your birds have it start the treatment straight away, once it gets a hold on the chickens legs it is quite a long job

http://happyhenhouse.proboards43.com

Re: Scaly Leg Mites
« Reply #1 on Aug 17, 2005, 11:52pm »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a severe case of Scaly leg mite.. note the raised up scales.. and the thickening of the leg itself, once the scaly leg mites die and fall out from under the scales, some times the legs will go go back to near normal.. but they will never be completely the same as they were before the attack of the scaly leg mites

«
Scaly Leg Mite word / picture on what it looks like

When a bird has SLM the scales are raised, in a bad case scales sit out at nearly right angles to the leg just above the toes and tend to be a grey colour (although colour will depend on breed).

The scales on a bird without SLM naturally sit flat and there is no colour variance from the norm.

Generally it is the older birds that get SLM, so compare the legs of an older birds with that of a young, of the same breed.

You can use a couple of drops of Cydectin (Moxidectin cattle pour on) to treat this problem - only need to treat once. Cydectin is the same chemical as the Moxidectin water soluble parasite (internal & external) control.

Pictures of Scaly leg mites can be found :
Re:Scaly Leg Mites - Picture
http://www.eboards4all.com/209762/messages/13669.html

http://members.iinet.net.au/~greggles1/pest.html

« Reply #3 on Oct 23, 2005, 1:51am »

Foot mites or Scaly leg

Symptoms for foot mite.

You will see unusual lumps on the legs and feet of the chook; they are raised and lumpy

They suck the blood from the chooks

The mite burrows in under the flesh of the chooks legs and feet

This causes discomfort and sometimes pain

Distortion may be noticeable, and may not return to normal once the infestation has been eradicated

They can sometimes kill the chook if not treated and the infestation is very severe

Treatment:
Brush down with oil, most oils you use in your kitchen will do the job

Make sure the legs and feet are completely covered

Do not stand the bird in the oil, to much of it will be absorbed into the birds system..... it will go up into the feathers and cause the bird to chill, and if you have anything else in the oil you may overdose the bird on what ever you have in the oil as a disinfectant or insecticide

Repeat until every 5 days until the infestation has fallen off

The oil will smother the mite and it dies, or falls out onto the coop floor or into the dirt

Treatment:
Another way is to soak the affected fowl’s legs in very soapy water that has a little ammonia added.

Gently scrub the white crust with a soft nailbrush.

Do not scrub so much you hard the legs.. it is only to clean not remove the raised scales

Do not remove the scales from the birds legs either

The cleaning aids penetration of insecticidal substances.

Then apply any of the following mixtures to the fowl’s legs:
A mixture of half garlic brew and half undiluted vinegar, with a pinch of cayenne pepper
Vaseline and sulphur, 200g to 1 tablespoon (heat and mix):
Vaseline alone (mites won’t be able to breathe under the Vaseline)
A proprietary Vaseline-based chest rub
Kerosene and raw linseed oil in quater kerosine to three quarters raw linseed oil, use a small paint brush to paint this onto the legs.. don't stand your bird in the mixture it will absorb too much kerosine into its system and become very sick
Cheap cooking oil, with a few drops of kerosene or tea tree oil, eucalyptus or sassafras oil added
Cooking oil that has had an equal amount of crushed white cedar flowers soaked in it for several hours
Neem extract spray
Orange Medic herbal lotion for human lice. Rub a few drops on the legs, and then spread Vaseline over the top.

Use a small paint brush to put the liquid onto the legs.. don't put heaps of it.. you only need a light coating .. just enough to smother the mites......... Never stand your bird in any concotion thinking that this is a quick way to get rid of the mites... its only a quicker way to kill the bird

You may skip the scrubbing process if you prefer, and just use the remedies prescribed above.

You will need to apply treatments several times until the crusty exudate and old scales fall off

While you’re about it, it’s a good idea to clear out pens and spray perches with insecticidal brew as old scabs and scales from infested bird’s stay infective for 30 days

Raised scales on the legs and toes of birds

This condition is caused by mites and is frequently seen in backyard chickens.

The legs are rough and scaly.

The mites burrow under the skin of the legs and cause thickening and roughening of the scales.

This condition can be treated by dipping the legs in an acaricide.

Just be careful using this... make sure it is diluted.. the bird will absorb it and may kill her if its too strong
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged

Cheers
Looloo :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:15 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

hey looloo,

I put canola oil on the three infected hens yesterday and it is still on there just a bit dirty though. Shall try to clean out scales as in information, i certainly will do it this way using frontline or WD 40 sounds ricky to me and i can't find our vasoline :)

Thanks,

Jayden

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:28 pm 

JJ wrote:
hey looloo,

I put canola oil on the three infected hens yesterday and it is still on there just a bit dirty though. Shall try to clean out scales as in information, i certainly will do it this way using frontline or WD 40 sounds ricky to me and i can't find our vasoline :)

Thanks,

Jayden

I think you need to apply the oil several times over week(? ) And also clean up their house.

Post subject: ok
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:51 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

hey seraphina,

have cleaned out pen and will have to find time to put oil on legs i am extremely busy school starts in 2 days and i have babys and eggs popping out my ears.

C ya,

Jayden

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:41 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

This is remedy I use that my grandmother also used. It has worked a treat for me on some very badly affected birds which I was given as a freebie. Since then Iv'e only purchased fertile eggs.

Mix equal parts of derris dust (vegetable dust) with equal parts eucalyptus oil. paint on perches and on chooks legs each day for three days. Make sure you wash the chooks legs in warm soapy water with a brush to remove loose scale before applying solution. Give hen house a though clean and dust heavily with derris dust.

Post subject: Re: Treating scaly leg
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:26 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Some amazing information on here. Thanks everyone! I haven't seen anyone mention feather-footed breeds. I've got Pekins that need to be treated. Not sure how I will do any of these things without making a total, sloppy, greasy mess of their feathers. I'm not showing them, but just thinking it will be an uncomfortable mess on their legs and feet. Suggestions?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:38 pm 
Golden Magpie
Golden Magpie

Make up a solution of tomato dust (a permethroid) and dip the chooks into that - not only will it do the leg mites but also feather mite and lice.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:46 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

How do you make up a solution of tomato dust Mike?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:00 am 
Golden Magpie
Golden Magpie

Okay

Tomato dusting powder from a hardware shop or plant nursery. Its used for fruit fly and other insects. Its basically 5 grams of the powder per litre of warmish water and stir until its either dissolved or evenly suspended. Grab a chook and dip it into the solution but keep its head out of the solution. Hold it there for thirty seconds or so so that all the body is wet.

Then just let it run free. Do this fairly early on a warm day so it will be thoroughly dry by evening.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:29 am 
Wise One
Wise One

Interesting post, surprising l have never come across this before. Like your signature Mike, hope you are able to sink a line soon!