Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Foxes

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:05 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Foxes
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:48 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Can anyone tell me how high a fox can jump roughly. I know they can climb wire and dig under things and sqeeze through tiny gaps. I just dont know how high they can jump from then ground either with a run up or just stationary. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:27 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

i wish i could help you

chooky

One bite at a time , or you will get a sore belly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:45 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

I imagine you would be safe with 5 feet. Colourbond fence would be great for keeping out foxes, as they can't grip the surface.

Andy.V

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:54 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Yep a 5 ft colour bond fence is a good start - but I've seen a fox on the run go higher!
If you go for a solid fence try extending the top with 3 or 4 runs of plain wire. These need to be no more than 10cm apart and loosley strung - then the fox has nothing stable to climb over.
Similarly a wire fence works best for foxes if it is loose or has loose plain wire off sets.
If you have a real problem you can also try off setting a run of electric tape near the top of your fence. It will probably cost you about $200 to set up but I've lost more than that to one fox.
Good Luck

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:10 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Dotty Bantams gives good advice, I have known of Foxes being found inside a six foot iron fence near the heart of the business district,of a large country city at least seven or eight kilometres from what you would consider their habitat. A hungry vixen with a lair full of pups, is a resourceful, innovative, and persistant, predator. However I have seen many more dig under a fence than jump over it. So always bear that in mind when erecting a barrier, and to be doubly safe always shut your poultry up at night. granpa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:56 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Granpa,
Will foxes attack during the day?
Lucy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:26 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Their favourite time is usually daybreak,but when food is short they will hunt at any time of day. granpa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:35 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

A really cunning fox will also figure out what time the chooks go in to roost in the evening.
Basically they try to make it easy for themselves so the best thing is to make it hard for them from the start.
Bury wire around the outside of your pens, add loose offsets, and be vigilent and listen to your chooks.
If it is all to hard and risky for them they will often go looking for an easier dining spot.
Lucy - everyone has horror stories about foxes, it's a bit like childbirth!
But just like childbirth the positivies out weigh the negatives (most of the time :lol: )

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:44 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

When I was a schoolboy, which was some time ago, and before pocket money was invented, my brother and I would trap rabbits on the weekends, and sell the carcases around our town.(This was long before Myxamatosis, and the Kalici virus). We would also sell the skins if they were worth anything. It would entail walking four to five mile into the bush, Pulling a handcart loaded with traps, plus a water bag and our swags to camp out. We would set the traps, (thirty to fourty), late afternoon, do a couple of rounds during the night, and the final round just before the sun came up, as soon as it was light enough to see. We would see the foxes starting to move around at dusk, always from a distance, occasionally you would pick up the eyes in the torchlight during the night, but at daybreak they would be in close to the rabbit warrens waiting for the rabbit to come home from his nocturnal wanderings, and that was when they did the bulk of their kill. They rarely tried to take a rabbit out of a trap, I suppose they knew we were close handy, plus I think they sensed the danger from the trap, and our scent. They were far too smart for the average rabbit, who in a short race could beat the fox easily. We used to like to catch the foxes when we could as a bounty was paid for each scalp, which consisted of the two ears and the skin that joined them.
Those early huntsmen who introduced foxes for the sport, did this country a great disservice. granpa

Post subject: Re: Foxes
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:11 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

granpa wrote:
Those early huntsmen who introduced foxes for the sport, did this country a great disservice. granpa

They were utter idiots

They also did a great disservice to our small flock of totally organic (from our own breeding) - as they took out 8 chooks so far this year (7 toward the end of winter). They got in and out of our 2 meter high colorbond fenced yard. This has been a VERY bad year for foxes. In the late winter the air with THICK with fox scent every morning (it stunk). Our neighbor had one fox near his back door, start to go after HIM instead of just running off (eventually changed it's mind - and it was BIG).

FYI - The ground around that fence line (and under it) it is all hard packed chalk. I pity anyone putting in a post hole without heavy machinery as it takes heavy equipment to get through that stuff. Nobody out here digs through it without machinery (except me, poor and stubborn). A garden bed requires at least 16 inched of chalk removal (and a raised bed above that line) which takes a few months of regular work, removing large slabs of chalk - with a with very solid pry bar ... and a good back (which I don't have but oh well ... I am used to pain and cash is short). The nasty things still get in from time to time...usually after god knows how long working at ONE spot under the fence - they had to come back to it again and again.

I have to keep the chooks in their large caged area now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:43 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I probably will not be back here for quite a number of years.

The last of our own line of organic chickens are now dead. Only one partial body left in the yard (headless). We raised them from chicks at a time when we had no energy or health to do this (and still don't - but it is the people with the least health who need to be able to do this).

My mind is too fuzzy to reliably do anything so I forgot to shut them in when it got dark. I had even intended on leaving them in the big cage system for safety after the killing (1 hen) about 3 am (same day - this one was at 10:30 pm).

Thing is, to do that job you need to be able to think and pay attention and I really can't.

So - over four years of breeding effort (which started with us being stuck with a sylkie male we did not want a few months after moving into this house) wh9ich resulted in our own line of ALL 1005 organic raised free range animals - from our own organic chicks - all gone and dead.

It would take 2 years effort to get back up and running with anything we can eat safely. Organic eggs are very expensive - we had 11 chickens killed in under 6 months.

I can't do this again. Too much work and I haven't the health. The results this way are unfair to the animals.

We can live without eggs until I an well enough to do things properly (if that ever occurs) and can keep them safer. There they were left out in the open after an attack very early in the previous morning...in an open cage ... because of my own health issues.

All I had to do was remember ONE THING to keep them alive - close one door, and I couldn't (but then I can't remember what month it is a lot of the time & this leve lf mental function is an improvement).

and I just ordered (and am trying to cancel) an incubation and brooding setup.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:01 am 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Oh no. I am so sad for you barleysinger. It is heartbreaking when it happens. You can only do your best, so don't be too hard on yourself. We have all done silly things with less reason to do them than you by sounds of it. My thoughts are with you.

NellyG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:50 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

mummaroo wrote:
.... tell me how high a fox can jump roughly. ....

No less high than a good kelpie or any working dog. That's high - the dog high jumping competition at an agricultural show is interesting.
See how they can get an extra flick for height from a smooth surface http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtsEDZ28Y4E
Also shows how an offset wire at the top foils foxes, just a line of wire on plant-hanger brackets is enough offset to make it more difficult.

But foxes problem-solve. So if the fence is too high it can wait until a vehicle is parked near enough to leap onto the roof then over the fence. They are also capable of climbing into a tree for a take-off point.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:21 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Yes - I agree with Possum - they are very clever animals and multitalented too when food is at stake.