Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Sexing a silkie

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:42 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sexing a silkie
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:19 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Ive bought a partridge silkie from a breeder but the breeder is a newbie herself and is not sure of the sex of her chicks. What are the tell tail signs i should be looking for?
Before i went to buy the chick i did some reading and found this site

http://www.americansilkiebantamclub.org ... s_page.htm

But being a newbie myself i didn't really know what i was looking for and i was second guessing myself. Any help would be great.

Thanks Rik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:30 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

how old is the chook? I would assume sexing chicks would be similar to any other breed (I have no idea how to do this... I think it is a fairly tricky business :P )

Older ones you look for big combs on the boys - they get large "brain" looking things that should be fairly obvious once they are nearing maturity...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:46 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

oh yeah its 4 weeks old

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:58 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Hi,

I'm no great shakes at sexing, but with most breeds the boys have got bigger, redder combs and little wattles beginning to show by about 4 or 5 weeks, but some still develop later than that. I've never had a silkie but I have heard that it's much harder with them and you have to wait for much longer. How long you may ask? Answer - I don't know! (Sorry)

Maybe a Silkie expert will come along and tell us!

NellyG :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:12 pm 
Golden Cockatoo
Golden Cockatoo

hi rik, as you may have guessed by now from reading that website silkies can be notoriously tricky to sex!! at 4 weeks old you would be having quite a struggle. even after quite a few years of breeding silkies it can be quite a guessing game and many other breeders of this bird would agree.

sometimes there are tell tale signs, but is it possible to post a picture? it can also depend on the line of birds too.

basically you really need to wait until they lay an egg! which can be a long time for silkies. in many white lines though, the female has a beautiful white rounded crest by about 8-10 weeks, but some birds don't grow theirs until later, its quite variable. in some lines the big bump on head means girls, in others it means boys, so it really means knowing the birds. many people selling silkie chicks will not even hazard a guess at eh sex as it can be so tricky to get it right.....not trying to be discouraging :)

the positive thing though is that the boys usually have a lovely disposition as well and can still make a lovely pet :lol:

here is a picture of a little silkie girl i have, she started to show the roundness of her crest quite soon....mind you "she" could still trick me and be a he, but i doubt it :
this one shows two boys, the black one in background and buffish one's head in foreground, they are a bit older, but see their crests are a different shape, sort of "swept" backwards..in the middle of them is another girl with a round crest.

with my birds, and everyone's are different, i find the combs don't help much, but a guy was showing me a way he uses the other week using the shape of their comb when young.....but not sure yet and still testing the theory.
hope this helps a little :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:36 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

So your girls have a perm and your boys use gel ... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:37 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Hi Rik,

As caladenia said it is near impossible to sex silkies and is better to wait till either they crow or lay an egg, (roughly 24 weeks old). The hair doo is pretty accurate though.

I have also been informed that day old sexing of silkies is impossible - something to do with the extra fluff. Many people have told me this.

I sell most of my silkies at 6 weeks or age and i tell people it's pot luck, i wont even try to sex them.

Regards

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:33 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Sorry for the slow reply this is a pic of her/him

[img]C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Rik's%20file\Are%20chickens\Chicks[/img]

its gooing to be about 5 weeks old on monday

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:47 pm 
Golden Cockatoo
Golden Cockatoo

no worries rik,
so we can see your picture, it needs to be living somewhere on the net. there are several ways to do this, you can use storage with your email account (DENIS!!!) or photobucket is reasonably straight forward. (www.photobucket.com) you need to make an account, load up your picture, then put the img things on like you did with your c drive.
mmmm, i explained it elsewhere, i'll see if i can find the post and add the link here for you :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:00 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

OK try looking on here its my blog page

http://magicrik2006.piczo.com

its still under construction but if you look at the page called hot chick you will see them

Thanks Rik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:38 pm 
Golden Cockatoo
Golden Cockatoo

hi rik,
is this the little one?
see how its crest is poking backwards a little? very hard to tell at this age, as it is just starting to grow out, which can affect the shape, but if it were one of my little birds i would be starting to suspect that it might be a boy. however, in about 2 more weeks, it may be a bit more round and evenly distributed over the head, which suggests female, but if still the swept back look, possibly boy. lovely colour ! worth getting some more!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:06 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I sex my Silkie chicks at around a month old by looking for "jowls", small semicircles of skin hanging midway along their jaw line.

If you look at Caladenia's pick of her black boys, you may spot the jowls hanging from the bottom edge of their jaws. The girl is mostly facing away but there's no obvious jowls.

I find its easily spotted with my white Silkies, but my gold ones aren't so definitive.

Jacquie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:57 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

ive got a big problem thou...if is a boy ive got to get rid of it im not aloud to have cocks in my area :cry:

Post subject: Re: Sexing a silkie
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:02 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

So...Did this chook turn out to be a pullet or a roo?

Post subject: Re: Sexing a silkie
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:42 am 
Golden Cockatoo
Golden Cockatoo

the one in my photo was a pullet for sure :)