Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - cross breeding or pure bred??

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:34 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:33 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

hi, just interested to know what people think of the cross breeding of poultry and waterfowl? has it been harder to sell cross breeds? in my case it has been harder to sell cross bred cockerals!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:29 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

They have their place.

I have some cross bred layers, some crosses are good for broodies and layers.
The cockerals can be hard to sell... but some turn out very unique looking and beautiful, so unless you are a serious show breeder it depends what you want.

Sarah.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:17 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Okay be prepared for one very biased post. :wink:
I'm all for pure breeds, because thats the only way to save them. If every one had at least one pure breed in their backyard and bred them to the standard. In my experiance males are hard to get rid of, cross bred or not, and many people dont know the difference, until they decide they want to show them. and suddenly they find they can't, because what they've got is a commercial layer which isn't a recognised breed but a copyrighted hybrid of many breeds, although they can probably be shown in ag shows. I agree there are some pretty cross breds, but when you look across the choices of pure breds available there are some very nice breeds there as well ( I saw a beautiful seabright yesterday). Why get a mongrel if you can get a purebred for the same price. I get annoyed when I talk to people who are after a specific breed and then because they can't get them straght away they go for a cross bred that someone hasn't taken the time to grow out properly. ( ok that was recent event, and I had put alot of work into finding names and pointing out breeders that they could talk to who had the birds, just not on them that day, I felt I had wasted my time) but then thats just me, and its my personal opinion. After all many show breeders also have pen of comercial layers just so they have some eggs to eat when its breeding season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:32 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

well little tiggermum...
i would have to say i agree. why breed a cross breed if you could breed a pure breed?? i don't agree with people breeding multiple cross breeds. and if you do breed them only hatch a few, cull the rooster so no-one else breeds from them, and only keep them for eggs. then the pure breeds are still left with a chance...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:51 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

It costs just as much to incubate and raise a cross bred as a pure breed. As for eggs, although some of my birds are not great layers, my leghorn bantams will produce more eggs than can be incubated or eaten. The best place for Xbred cockerels is the pot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:18 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Well I for one don't mind the cross breed.

In all other ag' industries they use the cross breed, cross breed vigour for instance is a very popular term to discribe what other people might call a mongerel.

Pure breeds do have a downside as well, "rare breeds" generally have a limited gene pool, and new complimentary genes are hard to get.

Most of Australia's current pure breeds, if there ancestory is traced back, are a result of cross breeding at some stage, or a sport from a pure breed.

If we all just stick to the "pure breeds", with the limitations on importing new breeds into Australia, many breeds that have disapeared in australia would not be able to be "recreated".

so cross breeding for a purpose does have its place, even if that purpose is just curiosity, to see what you may get? 8)

Cheers, Raylene

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:45 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

backyard chooks(i.e variety of crosses ) are what got me interested in keeping pure breeds ,...mine cant be beaten on egg out put ..I havent bought eggs for 3 yrs ..guess I'd get a shock . I got lures into keeping the pure breds and dont worry now if they all go broosdy and stop laying ..and they ,the hybrids can be a pretty chook..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:18 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Cross breeding has its place. A silkeyX makes one of the best broodey & mother. If it was'nt for X breeding in the past we would'nt have all the true colours & true breeds we have today. I have belgian dÚccles & if not for X breeding we would'nt have all the true colours we have today. Infact we would'nt even have them.
Mario

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:45 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

well, what about cross bred ducks? i have my pure bred chooks and ducks, then there are a few cross breeds as pets. my cross bred chooks are definantly better layers then any of my pures. some of my cross bred ducks are excellent mothers, allowing me to hatch out eggs from runners etc.