Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Rooster Night Housing - Progression

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:33 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:13 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Just thought I would share 1 of my on-going projects...

So far I have cleaned the 90 odd bricks and placed them out...

Some idea's on affordable internal insulation, and some kid of sound proof door would be of great help :D

Abit cosy... But it will be for 1 pekin roo 1 langshan roo and 1 OEG roo, so they wont take up as much room as the 2 of those pekins

Gander modelling the photo

Not too happy about staying put - 1 of the other roos refused to stay in it for the photo :evil:

The lid on it for now is a big piece of cast iron... But wont stop any noise, so idea's for a lid aswell would be a good help, It needs to be heavy to stop foxes and my dog...

Anyway any tips would be great :D

Cheers

Ash :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:29 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

try a thick slab of wood.

should stop some of the sound. or layers of ply or something.

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:59 am 
The basic problem in soundproofing is that if there are air gaps between inside/outside sound will get out too. And if you block air gaps by increasing the insulation you might smother your birds. The smallness of the space inside your rooster house makes this a real possibility if you increase the soundproofing with more insulation. I would look at increasing the size within before I started making the walls and roof more soundproof.
Just a thought: I wonder if staw bales would muffle sound better than bricks? I've never tried so sorry if this is a bum steer, but they'd be naturally able to breathe and if you overlapped them sufficiently (maybe wired them together tightly to cut out gaps) they might block a lot of noise. (Then again they might not... Sorry I can't speak from experience here. All those strawbale houses in my magazines look so cosy and insulated.)
Whatever the case, flattened cardboard boxes make good mufflers and you could use the cast iron plate on top to hold them down if you want to use the setup you've got. I would think two flattened boxes would really absorb some sound. Your roosters look like lovely friendly birds!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:36 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

how about using 40mm pvc pipe for air holes, you can put them in say a U shape, one going into their area, then coming out and bending at and angle to stop daylight going in.

painint the pvc black on teh inside will also help stop light going in, which should stop them crowing early

i have a pvc rooster box ive made, but am yet to use it as the indian game rooster dont want to crow yet... not that im complaining about it, he can never crow and i'd be happy :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:49 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I only put my Rooster in a slightly open cardboard box in the shed muffles the noise enough and allows plenty of ventilation... stuffiness and humidity could possibly lead to respiratory illnesses or worse me thinks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:47 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Thanks for all of your idea's. :)

Ev wrote:
Quote:
I only put my Rooster in a slightly open cardboard box in the shed muffles the noise enough and allows plenty of ventilation

This is what I have been doing... I put them in my incubator/brooder room in a carboard box over night with a blanket over it... Stopped them crowing until 6am... then they were still keeping me awake, seemed to muffle enough from the neighbours though...

But the on going need for carboard boxes and the continuous stuffing around and I am so over it... :shock:

chooken wrote:
Quote:
flattened cardboard boxes make good mufflers and you could use the cast iron plate on top to hold them down if you want to use the setup you've got. I would think two flattened boxes would really absorb some sound

Thanks for that Idea, I will deffinately give this a go. :)

Indian Game:

The plan is to not cement in the join of the bottom row of bricks to create air holes. The shelter is up against a wall, so having the air holes at the back along the bottom should prevent enough light getting in. But if I can make the box as insulated and sound proof as I can, It wont matter how much sunlight gets in.. 8)

Thanks again for your Idea's :D

Cheers

Ash :wink: