Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Fox protection

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:48 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fox protection
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:45 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi guys,
Im moving from Sydney to St Andrews Vic in the not to distant future. As we dont have any fox problems where we are, Im after help on fox proofing ideas. Has anybody used electric fencing or Marema sheep dogs? If so how effective have you found them. Any problems or tips. We will be staying with my mother-in-law untill we find a house, and she has fox proof pens , but as ours are used to free range every day, I was thinking of electric fencing them all small free range paddocks for the day.
Thanks
Caroline :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:14 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Great avatar Caroline !
If you search "fox" in the search page linked at the top of the forum you will find lots of past posts about foxproofing.
MAybe you can free range for just an hour or so in the evenings when you can be around to supervise.
Good Luck with you rmove
Dotty
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:22 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi
I have heard alot of great things about stock protection dogs but they must be accustomed to their flock, another good one is alpacas i might be getting some soon. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:44 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

If you have the room, try a llama. They are excellent guards. People use them for protecting sheep from foxes and wolves too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:29 am 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

Have heard great things about Llama protection , i dont believe you have to clip them either
have a liik at
www.llamaworld.com.au

I have electric fencing, you just have to ensure the grass won't interfere with your current, and the thing with free ranging and electric fencing
is the chicks can wander under it...
and you need to have it positioned low enough to get the fox when he attempts to dig...

you can get smaller suppliers for pet fencing, I know my co-op sells a kit for keeping dogs contained it is about $299.00 that is with the energiser, insulators and the tape.I however prefer the wire to the tape...have just found it more reliable.

I only use the electric fencing for their yards, so have wire between the chooks and the electric fence...the last thing you want is the chooks getting wacked with the volts...I don't think they would survive it?
Well they would not survive mine it was run off the supply that keeps my Bull away from the heiffers...when hubby touched it accidently once it flattened him!! I hope the foxes around here touch it real soon!!
Heidi

Post subject: Foxes
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:58 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hi,
I live on a river were their are many foxes. I use and electric fence about 10 cms of the ground which I relugarly spray with roundup to keep it clean and clear of rubbish that is on my outer boundary for the chooks. I also have 2 Maremma dogs in this area who have been trained with chooks. No problems with them at all. I have found that they will even pluck a crow, hawk or sparrow out of the sky in flight if it gets to close. I free range the chooks from 2 till 6pm daily. Over night they are closed up tight in their sheds and in the mornings around 6.30 they are let out into large runs with grass which has an electric fence about 10 cm out from the top and one at the bottom and I have tin on the outside edge to prevent foxes digging if they ever got past the first outer hot wire. Since doing this I have not lost 1 chook to foxes.

Post subject: Foxes
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:49 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

As I have mentioned before on this forum, do not under estimate the cunning,and resourcefulness, of a hungry fox. A tip when erecting wire netting runs, is to lay about eighteen inches of netting on the flat at the base, and then continue up the post to whatever height you want. cover the netting on the flat with soil, so it is not visible, because foxes come right up to the fence before they dig. ,if you bury the netting,straight down,they will dig underneath it as they will do with galvanised iron but the eighteen inch apron will discourage them from digging. You must also remember that they can get over a six foot fence, and if necessary can climb trees to access branches that will allow them to jump into the runs.

granpa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:50 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks heaps guys,
I already use electric fencing for my sheep and horses, so im going to put hot wires around the outside mesh fence so the chooks dont get zapped, but the foxes do, and build non electric internal fences for the different groups of chooks. Let you know how effective it is. Thank you all for your advise, I feel better knowing that others have used it effectivley :!:
Caroline :D