Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Handling hens

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:17 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Handling hens
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:30 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi, is there a right and wrong way to handle hens? I noticed when we picked up our five latest additions, that the young man sort of scooped them up out of their crate with one hand under the breast and that the birds were quiet and relaxed when this was done. They didn't flap or get upset. Our older birds were nervous and got anxious easily right from the start and I wouldn't be able to pick them up at all. These younger ones come to check out things, the first lot run away flapping. Do some breeders pay attention to temperament in their poultry or is it something that no-one worries about? Even now, the younger ones are still quieter than the first lot. They are a mixed lot of large soft feathered purebreds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:39 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi Barbara
There certainly is a way of holding poultry so as they do not flap or struggle. If you face the fowl towards you and put you index finger through the legs facing the rear end of the bird and grip one thigh with your thumb and the other with the other three loose fingers. The keel of the bird should either rest in the palm of your hand or along your forearm, depending whether it is a bantam or standard fowl. The fowl will feel comfortable with this method and will not try to flap even if upended. I have been judging poultry for many years and this method allows you to examine the fowl extensively without any damage to feathers through flapping of wings or squiming. Even "feral" fowls can be held quiet with this method. By the way, MOST fowls hate being "cuddled" and usually try to escape if that method is used.
Hope this helps..Keith :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:45 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks Keith; I don't want to "cuddle" them, but do want to be able to handle them without them panicking. I'm glad it's cooled down - I was concerned about my dorking. Barbara B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:40 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

KEITH IS CORRECT IN WHAT HE SAYS!
THE WAY YOU HOLD YOUR CHOOKS IS IMPORTANT.
AS WE ARE IN A FORUM, WHERE AS WE ARE HERE TO LEARN?
ANYONE PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG!.
AN IMPORTANT FACTOR TO KNOW IS, IF YOU HAVE TO INJECT YOUR POULTRY, THEY SHOULD ,BE LAYED ACROSS YOUR LEGS/TABLE( ON THERE BACK ,AS THIS WILL MELLOW THEM OUT A HELL OF A LOT), THIS WILL RELAX YOUR CHOOKS.
PAITENCE WILL WIN OVER ALL
BRUFFY