Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Heinz variety trio - ID game :)

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:01 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:32 am 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

I don't think I can re-create the previous thread in all its glory, and some of the images seem to have been corrupted so I'll re-upload them later, but I had a thread about IDing my fabulous little trio of cross-cross-breeds I got from the most recent Goulburn Poultry Auction.

This image still seems to work:

*broken link removed*

Clockwise from bottom left is Soft Rock, Hard Rock, Bossy Boots, and Flier. The missing fifth is a purer Light Sussex whom I call Suzzy. Hard Rock looks to be a fairly pure Plymouth Rock.

More photos are here: http://www.sapientae.net.au/chooks/chooks.html

Soft Rock, BossyBoots and Flier are all hatched from within the same flock, but their parentage must be _fascinating_. It's clear there's Rock and Sussex, and someone made a suggestion about Legbar, but it still doesn't explain Flier (for eg) - particularly as she's moving toward a more upright stance that really makes her look like a Game!!

They're all now laying, to my utter delight; mostly cream/brown eggs, but someone is laying a darker brown speckled egg. Unfortunately I can't quite tell who is laying what - I keep going in to collect eggs and getting a peck instead :)

Anyway ... this is me posting like mad to re-create our beloved forum after its heart attack!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:40 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

At the moment, we mods are trawling through the "orphaned posts" getting info so that Zilly will be able to "re-connect" them. Hopefully we will have most back intact but it is going to take some time :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:26 am 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Hah. I found

*broken link removed*

The images are problematic but I'll fix that in a sec - luckily all my chook images are online :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:31 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Thanks - I will make sure Admin sees this :D Every bit helps! I think the photos will be OK once they are "re-connected" to member.. You are doing a great job there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:39 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

am guessing flier has some leghorn in her from the comb , the upright stance,and narrower build------but that could just be inherited traits from the leghorn portion of a legbar, cheers pam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:08 am 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

I've been a little worried about Flier because she's so skinny, but yesterday I noticed she was standing incredibly upright - body at a distinct angle to the ground, rather than parallel to it - and she looked, for a few seconds, like Games do.

If it's her heritage that explains the lighter build, then I'll be a lot happier. Next to the heavier rounder other chooks, she's looking positively anorexic, but she's not the lowest in the pecking order - Hard Rock is (dunno why, but she is).

Also she actually does fly, little bugger - gets over the fence separating my two flocks at the moment and goes over to have a chat to my current chooks. Hasn't she heard of quarantine?? I don't want to clip her wing because they'll all be in together in a week or so, and I doubt very much she can get over a two-metre fence :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:03 am 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

I'm bumping this because I finally managed to get the photos re-uploaded from the original thread. They've all started laying now, however, so their combs and wattles are bigger and rounder, and are definitely changing a bit in shape. Flier in particular is proving really interesting, and I'll get a new photo of her up over the weekend. Everyone else is heading into round "fluffybum" territory, but she's getting taller and narrower and more upright.

Flier: (not the best photo; the previous one I used is playing up)

Soft Rock:

(As opposed to Hard Rock, much purer Plymouth Rock):

Bossyboots:

And just for luck, my Light Sussex Suzzy:

Post subject: Cross breds
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:31 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

They all appear to be cross breeds,all look as if they have Barred Rock and Light Sussex at least.
First- could also have a bit of Leghorn, cuckooish colour.
Second-Barred Rock cross,wrong colour legs for a purebed Rock.
Third-Similar to second,can't see leg colour.
Last- Light Sussex cross,again wrong leg colour, should be white not yellow.This would be a good bird to use to make Columbian Plymouth Rocks.

Post subject: Missed one
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:32 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Fourth- A Light Sussex X Barred Rock, proto Delaware pattern.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:47 am 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

I should note that 1, 2 and 4 are the original "Heinz Variety trio", being bought as a same-cage trio from the Goulburn Poultry Auction three weeks ago. My assumption is that they probably share mothers and/or fathers somewhere along the line.

3 and 5 were separate purchases from the same auction.

I bought for looks and health - looks meaning "that's a pretty chook" :), and health meaning "clean legs, no oozings, all their feathers and no blood". They're for rearranging mulch, laying the odd egg, and spider-munching. We don't have a rooster and I'm not fussed about breeding. I also wanted larger birds - I've already got two Australorp crosses (there's photos of one going broody in the Gallery) and their size intimidates the cat, so they all amiably share the same garden.

So this thread is purely an intellectual exercise along the lines of "how many breeds can you identify??", because the Heinz trio are a _fascinating_ mix (well, to me, just starting out). I seem to have lucked out in getting point-of-lay pullets - I prefer older chooks because they're less vulnerable to Stuff Wot Kills Chooks - so the're still growing and developing. AND laying eggs (there were some fabulous oddities in the first couple of weeks).

What on earth is a proto Delaware pattern?? It sounds like identifying china!! :)

And I've never heard of a Columbian Plymouth Rock ... the things one learns!!

blackdotte wrote:
First- could also have a bit of Leghorn, cuckooish colour.

In the previous version of this thread (it was one munched by the "storm"), it was suggested this one had a distinct Legbar look. I'd never heard of Legbars but when I found some photos, there's definitely similarities. I suspect it's more a happy accident of crossbreeding than anything else, but it's still interesting :)

Is that what that sort of wheaty colour is called? Cuckoo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:56 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

The second one is cuckoo. These are what I originally had that I thought were rocks..but was told were cuckoos.
I suspect the Rock trio all have a Rock dad.
The third one is pure rock by the looks can't see the legs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:21 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Sorry, I keep forgetting legs are a major identifier!! Try this one: http://www.sapientae.net.au/chooks/choo ... age13.html

More photos of everyone are here: http://www.sapientae.net.au/chooks/chooks.html

This is where updates will go, as well. I only upload one of each of these to the Gallery here - don't want to overload things!!

So what does cuckoo actually mean in this context?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:39 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

suzy has yellow legs so not true to sussex type but looks like there is plenty of light sussex in her

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:47 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

infoaddict wrote:

So what does cuckoo actually mean in this context?

cuckoo is the particular slate blue barred patterning---so named because it looks like a cuckoo's breast

http://books.google.com/books?id=Z7E9AA ... koo+poultr

here is explained in more detail, cheers pam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:05 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Huh. I don't know why I'm startled that these little crossbreeds actually have identifiable patterns, but I am. How cool :)