Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - What am I?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:36 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What am I?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:07 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Still don't get a picture? I copy BB code & paste in thread-What am I doing wrong?
I will master this eventually but until then ,somebody plese see if you can get a picture.
Thanks, David

admin edit:
note: when posting pic, make sure the box "disable BBcode" is not ticked :)

Post subject: Re: What am I?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:16 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

blackdotte wrote:
Still don't get a picture? I copy BB code & paste in thread-What am I doing wrong?
I will master this eventually but until then ,somebody plese see if you can get a picture.
Thanks, David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:17 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Hi David I'm not sure if this is what you wanted to post I'm still working posting pic out too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:19 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

looks Japanese to me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:28 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

I have no idea what you'd call the colour but me oh my... if you figure it out let me know, that'd be very welcome in my yard annnnyyy day! So beautiful!! :D :shock: :D :shock: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:35 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

looks japanese but no colour I have seen, in person or my books :? cheers pam

Post subject: Not a Japanese
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:46 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

It's not a Japanese. Colour was not made by man but the result of a random mating. Genetically it is the same as a Salmon Faverolle with single lacing.
A Patterned Mahogany Silver Wheaten.
Hint- this cock weighs 420 grammes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:10 am 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Serama, relatively new breed from Malaysia taking the world by storm. Also has a lot of controversy associated with it. They are not colour bred in their country of origin, which might account for the interesting colour patterns 8)

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sri/BRKSri.html

Post subject: Full marks to Andy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:54 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Correct, Seramas originated in Malayasia. They have village game,with the tm ,Thai miniature, gene and Japanese bantams ,both Chabo & Ko-Shamo in them. As Andy said they are not colour bred. To quote a Dutch friend, mate 2 Seramas & get 10 different coloured chicks. They are mostly Wheaten based game colours but there has also been recent introductions of d'Uccle & Seabright.
As well as type & carriage, they are judged on weight,the largest acceptable cock is 450 gms,hens 400gms. They also have double muscled breasts.

Post subject: Re: Full marks to Andy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:05 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

blackdotte wrote:
They also have double muscled breasts.

Does this mean they dress out like quail? :lol:

Our modern game bantams seem to be very tiny, if it were not for the long neck and legs. Do you think they could be crossed with japs to get a similar tiny bird?

Post subject: Making a Serama
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:37 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

I think if any one wanted to make Seramas in Aust the breeds to use could include Modern bantams, long legged reject Japanese, Belgians & Seabrights.
Would be an interesting project for someone,but sadly not me.
Never seen one dressed out but I think it could, I have see OEG bantams dressed out that looked just like Jumbo Japanese quail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:31 pm 
i think the cocopop colour would not be too difficult but @thecoop were talking about weights as low as 250gms which is half the size of the average jap bantam or sebright.

i wish i could see one next to a coke (or beer) can to get an idea of size as weights can be decieving.

i collect serema photos and have very nice file on them which i sometimes put on as a screen saver. i'll put a couple up here. i cannot remember where i got them from but i am sure the owner won't mind.
k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:47 pm 

here are some photos of cocopops i found on the net. i cannot remember where but i am sure you can google them up.

they have fascinated me for ages and so does the colour i may not be able to breed the seremas to size but i think i can make this colour.
k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:13 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

What is the controversy surrounding the Serama breed? Is there something associated with breeding for such a small/compact size or whatever genes are responsible for it or something else entirely? (And 250 g... :shock: Well, at least feedbills wouldn't shoot up heaps I suppose...)

Ruff... if you do decide to breed the colour I think I may have to schedule a trip to FNQ! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:26 pm 
i think the controversy in that there is no set colour standards. but i think that would add to the thrill and perhaps keep the idea of type more to mind. look at the pekin it is huge! i breed to what the judges want and that is a pekin that cannot turn around in a bantam pen. my small ones don't get a look in and are usually in the AOC section.

with the colour i think i will put it into the pekin however my cock bird that is closest to this is not too healthy at the moment. but i am not in a hurry believe me trying to produce a colour that is standardized in a different breed is hard enough.

with cocopop you have to get the black to the edge of the feather, it is based on a wheaten and from other photo i have it seems the hen is very similar in the lacing. then there is that chicolate colour which i think is mahogany with melanizers.

they call the serema a mongrel type bird because of all the different colours that comes from them. imagine what the purist pekin breeders :shock: would say if they walked around my yard as many of my pekins are the exact same colours. i even collect them from other people when i see something different.
k.