Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - What am i ? please

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:52 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What am i ? please
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:12 pm 

Hi,i brought 2 of these hens as chicks.I am unable to find out their breed.They are medium size and are skitziods.Would they be suitable to be crossed with a frizzle rooster ?
I am unable to post a pic yet as i havent worked out how.... :( but they are like a mottled belgain ?? black with white tips on feathers,yellow beaks and legs.Image

Last edited by ice queen on Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:14 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Hi IQ,

are you able to post a picture of them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:47 pm 
easy as. even i learnt:

viewto ... 9cb5b0d2...

well that is all that is at the bottom of the page i printed and have beside me. so have alook at the technical help line at how to put photos from gallery info into post. and putting the photos in in the first place is easy. for oldies like me it is co ordinating pressing more than one button at a time. plus practising alot to remember without my piece of paper that someone might remove from the desk.
k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:54 pm 

thank you for your help Ruff,it was easier than i thought lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:59 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

They look like Ancona pullets to me.

Would not really know about the frizzle crossing though.

Honk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:04 pm 
well not having kept this breed but they are anconas and very nice ones too. yes they come from a breed that is known to be skittish but they are supposed to lay very well.

crossed to a frizzle i think they will be black with half frizzled. depends on what your frizzle rooster looks like. when you brother sister cross the offspring some will get the spots back (about 25%) if you cross a son back to the mothers about 50% will get the spots back. you need to choos at least one frizzled offspring to breed with otherwise you will loose the frizzle. frizzle is dominant, mottling (the white spots) is recessive.
k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:10 pm 

thank you for your help.....wasnt sure as to what breed they were.here is the frizzle roo i would useImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:11 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

yes, agree anconas, and typical of "mediteranian " breeds can be flighty----but with handling and patience they can become quietened---they lay good size white eggs and are considered a non-broody breed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:17 pm 
can i have a profile of the rooster too and what colour was he when he was a chick?
k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:21 pm 

sure can ruff,i just need to duck out back and take some for you.Dont know what colour he was when a small chick as i brought 5 when they were about 3-4 months old.Out of the 5 i got 4 roosters and only 1 hen ...but read on here that i can put a frizzle rooster over a smooth feathered hen....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:24 pm 
your scruffiest rooster will give you 100% frizzled offspring to a nonfrizzled hen.
k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:30 pm 

ok here is 1 frizzle roo Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:32 pm 

Here ia another roo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:51 pm 
ok.

these roosters could either be dominant white (I) or not dominant white (i+). the black in the wings sugest not I. they could be ER (birchin)or ewh (wheaten). they look more wheaten to me.

if they are dominant white (I) some of your chicks will be white and red and some will be black and red (hackles)

if they are not dominant white (i+) then presuming the anconas are either E or ER (black)based then the chicks will be black with red hackles. i don't know what the anconas are on their E, might be something else.

when you do a brother sister cross then you will get the wheaten back and some of the chicks will look like the roosters, some will have the mottling too. if you cross the chicks back to the frizzle side you will not see the mottling on those that get one mo gene (mo = mottle)). however crossing the chicks back to the mothers you will get a greater percentage of chicks with 2 mo (mo/mo) than a straight brother sister cross. need mo mo to see mottling, can't see mo/Mo+ where Mo+ = nonmottles wild type.

if the mothers are E or ER then the chicks crossed back to the mothers will only be black or mottled like the mothers, perhaps some will have more red in them.

you must always use a frizzled bird to obtain some frizzled offspring. the super frizzle (tatty looking bird) is the one that carries 2 doses of the frizzling gene (one from each parent) and it produces all frizzled offspring.

having one last look at your roosters before i shut the computer down for the rest of the day as it is too much of a distraction, i think your roosters are wheaten, with dominant white and mahogany, bit hard to tell if they are gold or silver though.

hope i will be able to get on tomorrow and answer any questions. blackdotte will proberbly do a better job than me as he will know more about ancona genetics than me, i could look it up but my books are not as up to date as he is and i have run out of time.

sorry i hope you can work out something with all this genetic garb :oops: ble
k.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:39 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

they look like a Ancona