Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - guess the colour

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:48 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:09 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

You can get albino chooks?? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:28 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Nice albino :D
Another weird thing that pops up can be feet with webbing like a duck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:08 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

There was a discussion on The Coop where Rokimoto said a Hollander's Dun allele of dominant white in heterozygotes made for dun colouring, while homozygotes were white tinged with a colour and supposed the dominant whites tendnacy to affect skin might also affect eyes but I've never seen a picture and vaguely remember hearing dun was possibly not in Australia anymore. I've seen pictures chooks that are pink eyed dilutes that washes out the black to a near dun colour and in mature birds leaves a pinkish tinged eye but supposed to be really rare. Poor eye sight along with the other stuff - maybe albino, but then it's got all the pale rose colouring. So maybe imperfect albinism... there is a sex linked one in quails.

Aw heck, I give up... what is it! :lol: It's pretty though and it may be my computer but even the beak looks slightly washed. Is it? And what about the legs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:41 pm 
yes she is an incomplete albino on black.

i have not learned much about them yet as i didn't put much effort into breeding them last season as i wanted to make sure they would be healthy if i was going to muck around with them.

they started off these strange looking chicks with pink eyes that you could almost see through their heads. i lost most of them as they require a fair bit of fiddling with to get to live due to their poor eye sight and being really whinging chicks.

dad (named dipstick) was a normal cuckoo pekin who's mother was a normal cuckoo and father was one of my lavenders. i could cross dipstick to anything and get a certain percentage albinos (even from an OEG hen). the ones i reared all appeared to be female.

i did breed some chicks off these birds and did not get one albino chick. i had to destroy dipstick as i was breaking my rules on fussing around with a sick bird. he had his problems besides being very tiny he had very long feathers and this became a handicap. also in the end i think he got CRD or some revolting problem which i was not prepared to treat via a vet.

anyhow with the 2 hens i have, this one and another cuckoo lavender (so pale she is white with a purple tinge) i plan to do some experimenting with them. both are excelent type and are just coming through their first adult moult. i will have to breed a ckl from them to cross back to them to see if i can get more albino chicks. i also want to see what happens when the bird is buff.

there are various forms of incomplete albinoism in cockatiels and budgies where the eyes are pink but they can be yellow or cinamon coloured. there are supposed to be 2 sorts of albinoism in chooks, one is sex linked and i think this one might be it. due to my poor management of their chicks (i just shoved the odd egg under a hen here and there) there is one ckl that could be a son. he is very like his grandfather, dipstick, with overly long feathers. he is red, buff, black and grey and cuckoo in patches....a very pretty but odd looking bird. in theory if he carries this albinoism and crossed to a normal hen then some of his daughters should be albino and some normal and all his sons normal. cross to these 2 hens i should get 50% albino and some being roosters.

however i really don't know what use these albino pekins would be, unless something curious happens with the buff.

and andy if she had webed feet then that would not be a bad thing here in this wet climate.
k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:30 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

nice colouring!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:57 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

my guess is "albino" she is gorgeous!!!