Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Stick fast fleas/ticks

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:11 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stick fast fleas/ticks
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:13 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hello, how are you all?

My dad shares chooks with my neighbour and have for some time now, but have only moved in recently, and being 'the animal one' in the family, :) i try my best to look after all my animals and my chooks too.

I have a silly question, we recently was given 5 rescued chooks from a factory farm and although we have always had stick fast fleas/small black ticks around, they are much worse and need treating. I am unsure how to go about this, i was going to wash the cooks, but i dont know what to use or how to remove the flea's. They have infested my poor chooks face's. :(
Another silly question, because they were from a factory farm, they have lost all the feathers around their neck, is there anything i can do to help them grow back, or will they never. Please help!
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:18 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

the feathers shod grow back i shod think

do not know any thing more

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:01 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

The feathers will grow back over time. To help them along though, increase their protein intake and also their calcium. Add something like bandsaw dust to their diet, the oils will also help.

Chooks find it very difficult to lay an egg and produce feathers at the same time so if they are still laying you need to increase either of the above.

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:09 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Canned Cat Food is high in protein and will help them get through their moult

Bantam Rosecombs Black
Japanese Bantams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:26 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

It's not a silly question - those fleas are hard to pick off!!
I am trying at the moment to get the low-down on correct use of Frontline - it will kill them.
However it's off label for chooks.
I've called Merial a couple of times and just got a recorded message and as I don't like leaving my phone no. for someone to get back to, I haven't.
So as soon as I suss it out properly I'll let you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:13 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thankyou for all your quick responses!
I will have to try more protein in their diet. I was surpised to hear that i can give them cat food, thought chickens were food for cats! lol

Thanks would love to hear back about the flea problem, dad actually suggested a little kerosene in their drinking water.. ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:18 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Would you drink kero??
No.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:24 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

It would be better to dab an oil on the fleas (on the chook), that should kill them. Olive oil should work.

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:29 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

:( Ohh just wasnt sure, its an old farm remedy.. a very thin film on the top of the water for the skin to absorb when they go for a drink of water....?

as for the ticks again, just found a old tin of Malarid, otherwise known as Malawash. Used to treat cats dogs and ornamental caged birds for red mite and lice control.. was wonderig if this applys to chickens..

Instructions say.. dilute 15ml malawash per 1 litre of water. rinse or dip birds with diluted product. repeat weekly if necessary...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:00 pm 
Golden Magpie
Golden Magpie

LMC, read this and read this well or never complain again.

stickfast fleas are fleas and are NOT ticks.

i will tell you what to treat your birds with but if you fail to do this then they will return.

cease sharing chooks with you neighbour or anyone else. if possible get him to follow the same strict guidelines.

maldison, malithion or anything else you have proposed here is wasting your time and money and affecting your health.

the treatment is cydectin pour on. every bird that has the fleas on your property must be done. a couple of drops to the back of the head to every bird on the same day then do them again a week later. EVERY chook, duck turkey, guinea.

every bird, that means chooks ducks guinia fowl...the lot. not one bird is to be missed. do them at night when they are perching.

when you have eliminated them.....never, i mean NEVER bring a bird that has just one FLEA home.

i have seen this work when strictly adheared to and i have seen it fail when it isn't.

do not sell or give infected birds to others otherwise i feel you should be hung and quartered.

you battery hens are fine. the advise here is good. feathers are made of protien, a lot is needed to make feathers. your most baldest chooks will be your best layers. rescuing these birds and then pileing on the fleas is not a rescue but a hell.

sorry i try to stay away from the good samaritin centre and i am here again......i shall now exit.......k. PS sorry for being my cranky self.
k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:10 pm 
Golden Cockatoo
Golden Cockatoo

I agree with ruff - use cydectin (Moxidectin) or Ivomectin - couple of drops on the back of the neck - on the skin, not the feathers. You can use things like pyrethrin but you only kill the fleas actually on the chooks - you don't interrupt their breeding cycle. To do that you need to spray and respray and respray their pens and everywhere they go. It is really hard to actually get rid of them this way, whereas the mectins interrupt the cycle as it kills off the next generation as well.

NellyG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:18 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi folks

I have used the spray on front line on my birds now for a long time and have not noticed any ill effects at all and I have used it on all ages of birds from day old right threw to old ones for the control of stick fast fleas.

The rate I apply it is about 2 squirts per large bird on the head and under the beak on the neck and a bit down the neck from the back of the head. It appears to spread very well and most importantly protects them for many weeks.

I started using it out of shear desperation after all the other treatments that I could find including moxidectin failed. Some of these treatment's worked quite well but never lasted for more than a short while and the birds quickly became re-infested. Front line gave them protection for long enough to break the fleas breeding cycle and it has turned a major problem into an almost non existent one.

After saying all this I must stress that it is only my experience and I can not vouch for its suitability on poultry

Use at your own risk.

Cheers Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:40 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thankyou for all your posts, i'll sure try all of the suggestions here thankyou soo much :)

will keep in touch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:00 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

The trouble with relying only on poison is that eventually, as with all parasite treatments, we will start to see stickfast fleas immune to Moxi and the like. I would suggest trying to combine poison use with management to help keep parasites down, so that you don't have to use poison so often.
The best way to inhibit stickfast fleas from breeding is to confine the chickens for a few weeks in an area with a concrete floor. At the very least the roost area should have a hard floor underneath, because the fleas drop off at night and bury eggs in soil. If you break the life cycle you can keep numbers right down and keep your birds healthy and happy.
I find that by alternating free range (where the chickens inevitably come across infested areas from wild birds) and periods shut in the coop with the roost area concreted I keep the stickfast flea numbers right down to just a few. If I sell birds I use olive oil and inform the buyer there may be a couple of fleas; only if they want a totally pest free bird do I use Moxi. Some people like those brilliant 'clean' apples you get in Coles and Woolworths, but I'd rather buy apples that might look a bit less perfect but don't harbour pesticides. In any case it's healthier, I think, to have the information to make a choice.
Jennie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:05 am 
Flock Master
Flock Master

Sorry ruff, but you can't blame people for thinking stick fleas are ticks, cause they work the same way, and I still am sot so sure they arnt tick anyway.
And these chooks were given to them, anyway lilmisschatfield,
Scrape them off sideways with your fingernail.
If it is tick, they live in the cracks of anything in your shed, give it a real good hosing out (clean ) then spray with surfacespray.