Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - The Araucana - Breed Profile

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:55 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:50 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Breed: Araucana

This breed is well known for its coloured eggs – from blue, through green to olive-green. The shell colouring is distinctive in that the blue is all through the shell, not just laid on the outside as with brown coloured eggs. All other breed that lay blue eggs have achieved this by crossing with Araucanas.

Origin: Chile

Classification: Light Breed, Soft Feather

Colours: Lavender, Blue, Black, White, Cuckoo and Old English Game Colours

Eggs: Vary in colour from a Skye Blue through to Olive Green. For some years Araucana eggs were promoted as the ‘Low Cholesterol’ egg, so healthier than other eggs, however this has been found to be a fallacy – cholesterol levels are similar for all eggs.
Egg Colour Chart, available from The Araucana Club of Great Britain (see below for address) or on Ebay.

Comb: Pea Comb - a triple comb, resembling three small single combs joined together at the base and rear, but distinctly divided, the middle of one being the highest.

Pea Comb (from Univertisy of Illanois 'Inacubation and Embryology')

Pea Comb (from Crested Breeds Club of Australia)

Comments: An alert, active bird with a small pea comb and thick muffling, beard and ear muffs on the face. There is a small crest, well back from the eyes. Ear lobes and wattles are small.

This is my girl Pippa, not a particularly good example of the breed, but showing the small set back crest, lack of wattles, ear lobes covered by muffling, and beard.

History: The Araucana originally comes from the Arauca Provence of Northern Chile, from before the time of the Spanish conquest, and are a mix of two breeds – the Collonca (a blue egg laying, rumples, clean –faced chicken) and the Quetros (a pinkish-brown egg layer with tail and ear tufts). Nowdays Araucana come as ‘rumpless’ or ‘rumped’. Rumpless do not have the last spinal vertebrae, an uropygium (parson’s nose) or tail feathers, while the rumped varieties have a normal tail. In America only the rumpless birds are recognised as Araucana, but here in Australia, as in the United Kingdom, both rumped and rumpless are recognised. The large ear tufts of the Quetros survive as a trait of Araucana, but usually they are not nearly as extravagant in size as the original.

Exhibition: A good exhibition bird should have a long, deep body, with horizontal back, wings large and strong, with a well developed tail at a 45 degree angle. The head should be moderately small, the beak strong and stout and the eyes bold. The comb should be a small pea comb, and face covered with thick muffling, beard and ear muffs. The ear lobes should be small and covered with muffling and the wattles small to absent, the crest small and set well back from the eyes. Legs should be of medium length, strong and set well apart. It should have no feathers on its shanks and four straight well spread toes. The rumpless variety should have no parson’s nose, with the tail entirely absent and the saddle feathers flowing over the rump.

Suitability: Araucana are hardy birds and do well in most settings. Although they are generally good layers and there are records from the first half of the 20th century of Araucana being able to lay up to 240 eggs per year, these days that is unlikely. They are a breed that can go broody (however not all show this tendancy) and make good mothers. Some have a tendency to flightiness.

Bantams: The bantam is an exact miniature of the large fowl.

Forum Links:
viewtopic.php?t=7956499&highlight=araucana
viewtopic.php?t=7956329&highlight=araucana
viewtopic.php?t=6618&highlight=araucana
viewtopic.php?t=5936&highlight=araucana
viewtopic.php?t=5070&highlight=araucana

Internet Links:
The Crested Breed Club of Australia Crested Breeds Page
Wikipedia
Araucana Club of America
The Araucana Club of Great Britain
The Araucana Club of Australia
The Canada Araucana Society

NellyG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:27 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

there a interesting breed, i love the lavenders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:14 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

I think my Lavender Trio are a good example, they lay pure sky blue pastel eggs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:23 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Yes, they are very pretty Fee :D
There are alot of Araucana crosses around. People can get by selling them as pure as Araucana genes (blue egg laying etc) are quite dominant so chances are they will look more Araucanish than the other breed. When looking and paying for a pure Araucana, try to see the parents :wink:
Sigrid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:53 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

I have heard that too - that as the blue egg laying genetics are dominant a lot of birds are 'called' Araucana's as they lay blue eggs but may be crosses. Apparently also crosses eggs will be 'greener' but then this also happens with the darker coloured Araucanas. In general the breed has had a lot of other chooks blended with it so they probably vary a bit. Considering there is a whole other strain overseas with the original ear tufts and rumplessness, I often wonder if our Araucana are closer to the Ameriacana in appearance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:14 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

This is my Auricana rooster Lightning.
And my other Auricana rooster Pansy.
Also, one of my Auricana hens is getting broody. What am I supposed to do when the chicks hatch? I have bought baby chicks in the past but never gotten any broody hens so I don't know what to do with the chicks and the hen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:41 am 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

The hen will look after the chicks, just make sure ou have the proper food for the chicks (chick crumble)
Interesting fact that the shell is coloured the whole way through. I used my first araucana eg last night and the other breeds were white on the inside but the araucana's were still the nice green (the shell that is)
Sigrid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:58 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks. Does it matter if the young chicks are in a coop and yard with a rooster and 6 hens?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:06 am 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Yes, you will need to seperate them for about 6-8 weeks or they will get attacked
Sigrid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:12 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks again for the help. I will keep you posted of how the chicks do when they hatch!
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:29 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

How long can the eggs go without the hen sitting on them? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:02 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

About 20 mins per day :D
Sigrid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:04 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

nice breed profile ..well put together
i had aracunas in the early- mid 8o's ...
I alway thought the eggs were blue,beauttiful pastel blue, lightening as the laying season went on ..the green only showed up when other blood was introduced

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:17 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Oh, Sigrid is it true that broody behavior is "contagious"? I have heard that the other hens will probably start sitting on their eggs. Is this true :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:30 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Also, If it is true then what can I do to stop the hens from sitting on the eggs? :?