Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - What to expect when candling eggs

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:45 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:36 pm 
Golden Magpie
Golden Magpie

For those wanting some idea of what to look for when candling eggs.

This link provides a good series of photos. Just be aware that these are parrot eggs that hatch in 17 days not chicken eggs which take 21 days.

The development sequence, however, is the same when candling.

http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/resear ... ot/d/d.htm

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:37 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Here is another thread with some info on candling. :D

http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewto ... ?t=7962478

Raf

See www.bluelacedgold.wordpress.com for details

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:10 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hey Mike,

How do you candle your bantam eggs. Most toilet rolls are too big the little things. :? What else can I use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:14 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

i get a thick piece of card, from a box, and cut a whole in it just smaller than the eggs, then i put the cardboard securely over the end of a desk lamp, and the only place the light comes through is the hole..............this worked very well until i got a proper candling lamp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:29 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I would buy a small plastic funnel from a bunnings, cut the funnel at the right spot on the cone to be just larger than the average egg, then put a peice of rubber around the cut edge to fit an egg neatly, tightly and softly.

Just thoughts, havent done it myself. :D

Raf

See www.bluelacedgold.wordpress.com for details

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:52 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

When in doubt or for a quick one, if the torch is a small diameter, use your thumb and forefinger to make an "O". The other fingers hold the torch into the palm of your hand. This leaves a beam of light coming up from the "O" of your thumb and forefinger.

Just place the egg on top, your skin makes a great seal.

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:34 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks people,

You know what I ended up doing was screw the top off a large mag-lite torch so just bulb showing and pop small sized roll (been in kids craft box for months and can't remember what from but perfect for bantam eggs!) over top. Light had nowhere else to go and did beautiful job on egg 7 days into incubation period.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:30 pm 
Golden Cockatoo
Golden Cockatoo

That is the way I always do it jocler. I get a better seal around the egg than using something firm.

NellyG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:56 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I found this link really helpful

http://www.minkhollow.ca/HatchingProgra ... index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:00 pm 
Golden Magpie
Golden Magpie

Here is a further well set out post from Raf (username rwood)

There are always alot of questions about candling. So this thread will tell you how to do it, what to look for etc. People should add anything they think will help answer FAQ's. I have plagerised Mike (Chookyinoz) a bit.

WHY
Its easy to candle eggs and you must do it - infertile eggs and eggs that have died during during incubation can become infected and explode. This is because decaying infected material produces gas and therfore pressure. You should remove them. The question is often asked;

'Once I candle them, and see they arent viable, do I have to remove infertile eggs from the incubator?'

The answer is, maybe.

Infertile eggs shouldnt really be a problem. In fact its sometiimes advised to put infertile shop-bought eggs in the incubator to increase thermal mass (particularly in still air incubators). I take mine out, but I have a fan forced incubator, so thermal mass isnt such an issue so much.

However, in eggs collected from the coop, sometimes the emryo dies early, day 1 or 2, or even before its layed (apparently due to being inside the hen for too long as the hens internal temperature is about 41 degrees).

The germinating embryo, however small or old, changes the chemistry of the yolk/white, and causes it to rot (incubators are perfect for breeding bacteria). So sometimes the eggs you think are infertile might be ticking bombs. If you are late in the setting though, I dont think its a problem.

I always crack my eggs (once they fail) so as to check for fertility etc, and I have noticed that some that look infertile at candling and on opening (no blood or germ) are rotten. I beleive this means they were possibly fertile but died early.

Apparently you do get notice i.e. smells and weeping. I have never had this problem though.

HOW
Now candling - its not hard - Lots of candlers are available from chicken suppliers but is easy to make your own. Just get one of those large squarish Dolphin torches and a new roll of toilet paper - the type with the hollow carboard tube down the centre.

Place the entire toilet roll over the lens of the torch so that most or the light is blocked except for that shining through the hollow tube. In a darkened room place each egg one at a time over the tube.

You can use tins, like baby formula, with a hole cut in the bottom, you can use torches, lights, almost anything with a bright light and a way to only let light through an egg sized hole.

Dont worry about the eggs losing temperature while you candle as temperature loss in the center of the egg takes about an hour.

Developement - Inside the Egg

Th following link show some great pictures of the development of an embryo inside the eggs at each day of incubation

http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewto ... ?t=7956908

As you can see from those pictures, there is little point in candling before seven days incubation as its too hard to be accurate.

An infertile egg will appear clear and developing eggs will have veins and darkened masses in them.

Dead eggs also become obvious as their development is not consistent with other developing eggs.

Candleing - Pictures and Movies

Surf around this site and you will see some great movies and pictures of candleing and what you will see.

http://lancaster.unl.edu/4h/Embryology/ ... otos.shtml

Same site, but this one is linked straight to the movie page. Awesome. It shows you exactly what I see when i candle, and what you should see too.

http://lancaster.unl.edu/4h/Embryology/movie6days.shtml
That one is day 6, but have a look at day 11 and day 16.

This one has some good pics as well.

http://lancaster.unl.edu/4h/Embryology/ ... otos.shtml

LATE HATCH CANDLING
It is hard to see much after about day 17. The egg will look dark and there isnt much movement. You may however see the membrane of the air sack move.

If you candle around hatch day, you may see the beak of the chick in the air sack. This is a good sign. Put it back and stop playing with the eggs!!

But seriously, normally I candle at day 23 to check for chicks 'Dead in shell'. You find the air sack is filled with chick (black) and no sign of pipping, normally means dead chick. Listen for chirping, but not a good sign. I will still open the egg to see if it is alive, but almost always its dead, sometimes wrong way up.

MORE INFO
This site has some great general info on the incubatio process.

http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/avianemb.htm

Hope this helps answer some questions.

Raf

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]