Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - HOW TO SEX MY SILKIE CHICKS??

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:59 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

hello everyone

i have some silkie chicks but i don't know how to sex them. i am wondering at what age and how you do this. i would like to keep all of them but council rules says that i can't :evil: :evil: :evil:

many thanks
Jack Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:59 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Some lines can be sexed early ie a couple of months. I can sex my white babies but not the ones from my blue hen. I am usually pretty correct by 2 months but still some seem to change. How old are they? If less than 2 months I would just wait. If more than 2 months can you take a photo of them side on and front on so we can see their combs and wattles and post them. With some of mine the giveaway that it is a roo is different - for some the comb, some the wattles, some the streamers and some the shape of their hairdo (elvis for boys and marcia hines for girls).

Here is 2 roos and 2 hens at a couple of months (maybe) - L to R roo, roo, hen, hen. The first one was bought as a hen but turned into a roo? The second one looks like a roo even at this age.

The photo below the first roo looked like a hen with everything (small comb, no wattles, no nstreamers, big hairt do) but streamers started developing at about 3 months, the comb grew and lastly wattles. I was shocked. Now his beautiful big round crest has turned into a roo crest. I have a white now and at 2 months has huge wattles but no streamers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:37 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

kk thanks
does anyone else know of a way to sex their silkies earlier

Jack Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:23 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

With one of my roos the first sign was the size difference.
After a few weeks he was clearly bigger than the others. He didn't have any other telltale signs, just the size difference.
Unfortunately it's not a foolproof method though as one of the smaller chicks from the same hatch has also turned into a boy. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:01 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I am wondering why noone talks about vent sexing day old or very young chicks...

With practice, would this not be a more accurate way of sexing silkies as well as other breeds at a young age?

...and a gentle bullmastiff 'Otis'

Registered animal foster carer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:21 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

No one talks about it because for backyarders it is not practical. In order to be a good vent sexer you need to do (literally) thousands of them and keep the practice up. It is only practical for someone working in the industry and isn't used much now as for layers they use sex linked variations (like colour, feather growth etc). The difference between a male and female chick is not at all like vent sexing a duck where is it (aparently) quite clear. With chicks the difference is minimal and it takes a well trained and practised eye to see the difference with anything like accuracy.

NellyG