Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Broody Hen

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:53 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Broody Hen
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:03 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hello All

I am a real newby to this and need the advice of all you experts out there.

I have a hen that has been persistantly broody for about 10 days now. I have been taking her off the nest regularly and making her stay outside but every chance she gets she is back on that nest.

I am now wondering if I should try putting some fertile eggs under her. Is it too late to give her some eggs to hatch seeing as she has been broody for well over a week now. :?:

Thanks
Jenny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:16 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

You either need to cage her up for a few days in a light, airy place, to counteract her current instinct for warm, dark, cosy places, or else yes, slip some fertile eggs under her. Chooks can and will stay broody almost indefinitely until either they get chick movement under them, or the brood is broken by changing the conditions.

A typical broody "sin bin" is a smallish cage, raised off the ground, placed somewhere sheltered but with good sunlight and air, with just enough bedding to stop her feet hurting but not enough to make a nest from. You need to drop her temperature and her desire to sit on a nest, and just kicking her off the nest every few hours won't do it.

3-4 days is generally enough to break the brood, but it can take up to a week for really persistent wannabe-mothers.

I had a chook disappear into the depths of my native shrubbery and sit on eggs for over six weeks. As we have no rooster, those eggs of course just started rotting under her. I finally managed to grab her when she came out for some food and get her enclosed; it'd been so long that just keeping her away from the nest was enough to break the brood. I think she'd simply forgotten there was anything else to life except sitting on unhatching, oozing eggs (erk). At least she WAS getting off the eggs to eat and drink - you often hear of chooks that just don't get up and get close to dying.

So yes. For the sake of the health of your chook, you need to trigger the second phase of the instincts (baby chicks), or remove the brood altogether.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:12 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

It is not too late to put fertile eggs under her---chooks can't count,so as long as she was healthy before brooding and is getting off to eat and drink she should be fine.

the other alternative is cage her for a few days so she can't get on the nest and an elevated cage will drop her temp

cheers pam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:22 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks for your quick replies.

It is tempting to put some eggs under her (if in fact I could get some close by). However, she is in the main coop with the other hens and I would imagine that if she hatched some eggs, the other hens would be a threat to the new chicks. Is that right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:32 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

yes other hens can kill new chicks, so it is best to seperate them from the main flock,also the chicks have no resistance to deseases so are suseptable to catching stuff of the others too,like cocci, cheers pam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:21 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Makes sense - Thanks

I will organise a cage for her to take her off the brood.

Jenny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:49 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Early in the morning dunk her up to her neck in water, then put her in the raised cage... This can also help break a broody....

Nath...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:57 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Sounds like that would do the trick.

Post subject: Hey
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:23 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi everyone, i was wondering if you could help me. . . :D

My frizzle hen has been sitting on 18 eggs for the past week and i have candled them and they are going well. .

The thing is she is sitting on a nest in with the rest of my flock. :cry:

i have tried shifting her at night and the next morning she paces up and down the fence line to get into the other pen!!

It's like she thinks they aren't her eggs??
So i just put her back and she sat straight back down.. .

The drama is my other hens keep getting on the nest and pushing her off and laying there.

Will this upset the hatching of my chiks?? What can i do??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:51 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Can you move her and the nest box? Can you move the other chooks into the other area and leave her there with her eggs?

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:18 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I have the same problem. I caged my hen in an light and airy place for days on end to stop her being broody but she has still gone back to the nest today. She has won this battle and I am now just about to pick up some fertile eggs to hatch under her.

I have had to construct a baracade around her nest to separate that section of the coop from the rest, making a separate cage around the nest so the other hens can't get in. It is not ideal but she is at least well protected. Luckily my coop is large enough to do this - maybe you could try something similar.

Best of luck. Let me know how you go.

I will be collecting 2 Australorp eggs, 2 Barnevelder eggs and 2 Coronation Sussex eggs. My hen is a Silver Laced Wyandotte. You have to wonder if she will look at the chicks and think "How on earth did I get these".....lol

Jenny

Post subject: Hi Jewellz and jocler
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:03 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

hi!
Thanks for your help!!
i was talking to pjh and she also gave me a few ti[s.

I decided i would leave her in the nest where she is now and when i let the other chooks out i will take down the wie mesh that i have there. . .

Thanks again guys!!
Really appreciate it
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:34 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

New Question :?

I have now gone from 1 broody hen to 3 :!: Obviously it is that time of year and it is 3 of my 4 Wyandottes that are brooding. Wyandottes seem to be strongly broody.

I did put 6 fertile eggs under the first girl, which I am considering sharing around - maybe 2 eggs under each chook. Is 2 enough for each chook :?:

I have bought a new enclosure for the chicks to be born. The eggs will all hatch at the same time. Is it OK to leave the 3 mums together away from the rest of the flock to raise the chicks together. They all have separate nests in the one new large enclosure. Or should I cage them and keep them all spearate from each other :?: .

Jenny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:52 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I don't really think that leaving the mums together will be a problem, they should be busy minding their own chicks.
However, I have heard before two hens look after the same nest of eggs and taking turns sitting. They even mothered the chicks together. Strange ain't it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:04 pm 
Swan
Swan

UrbanChooks wrote:
I have heard before two hens look after the same nest of eggs and taking turns sitting. They even mothered the chicks together. Strange ain't it.

Yes that is very strange.