Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Sultan?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:53 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sultan?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:08 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi I just posted a photo in Gallery on page 12 and don't know how to get it here. I was wondering if it was a Sultan it was sold as one but doesn't have many feathers on her feet.
Could someone please tell me how to get it here if it can't be found in the Gallery.
Thank you for your help
Cheers
Flick[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:29 am 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

to add photos type this Image
like this [ img]http://gallery.backyardpoultry.com/data/543/medium/Matilda_and_Henry_002.jpg[/img] without the space
Looks like a polish to me

Polish Poodles, "Games" Aussie, English, Indian (Dark & Jubilee), Araucana, Minorca, Faverolle, hamburg, Sindian, RIR, Isa Brown, Pekin, Bantams, Guinea fowl Rare breeds I like to eat Asil, Buttercup, Sumatra, Maran and many more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:40 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thank you ver much for that I will give it a go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:43 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Awsome it worked thanks again now I will know for the future.
My only discrepancy is I don't think Polish have any feathers on their feet??
But not enough for Sultain either.
Cheers
Flick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:15 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Your welcome Flick.

Is is posible to see more photos of the roo behind that one?
Also I would like some eggs from those or other polish you have if posible too.

Cheers,
Kowan

Polish Poodles, "Games" Aussie, English, Indian (Dark & Jubilee), Araucana, Minorca, Faverolle, hamburg, Sindian, RIR, Isa Brown, Pekin, Bantams, Guinea fowl Rare breeds I like to eat Asil, Buttercup, Sumatra, Maran and many more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:24 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Flick , She is a nice looking bird and on the way to be able to be called Sultan . She would be better with more leg feathers and filled out a bit , but you can work on that . You will dilute this even more using the Polish , I would suggest trying to find a Sultan male . They come up from time to time and more chance of getting a male than a female . Good luck with her .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:32 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

does this bird have 5 toes?

Post subject: Sultans
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:28 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Sultans need to be vulure hocked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:32 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Ok well I have tried and tried and it wont let me up load the pick of the boy the girl doesn't have five toes and isn't vulture hocked either which made me think possible x.
She isn't much of a layer and is about one year now so I'm sorry about the eggs.
Martin thank you for that I think she is a pretty girl too. I will be getting some Sultan eggs around mid October and incubate them.
I'm thinking just have her as a pet and not breed from her due to the lack of traits she doesn't have. I have never seen vulture hocks as this was the first Sultan chicken I had ever seen but once seeing them on the net I fell in love with them.
She is a very gentle girl and happy to be picked up is this normal for them.
Thank you for all your input it is greatly appreciated.
Cheers Flick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:18 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hi Flick, I am not a Sultan breeder but have bred rare breeds for nearly 40 years. I suggest to you that you are well on the way to having some if not nearly the best Sultans I have seen in Australia. Yes they still need some work and bdotte is right they need to be vulture hocked. If you want ot get serious about Sultans contact the Brahma Club Secretary and ask for the names of large white or black Brahma breeders. The next step will be to find a breeder that has a brahma with Vulture hocks. There are quite a few Brahmas with vulture hocks ( a faulty in that breed) so I imagine it will not be hard to get a male or female. Most breeders would relish the opportunity to get rid of a cull. Also try to get a bird with extra heavy foot feather as well. Cross the new bird with your Sultans then mate the 1st generation togther . Yes brother and sister and I am sure you will have top Sultans complete with vulture hocks and good toe feather. You will also need to select for good crest as the brahma cross will dilute this trait and comb type would need to be watched as well. You would need to go back to your original birds no doubt, to strenthen crest and comb type. Good luck and let me know how you go

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:48 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi Cochin Man,
Thank you very much for your imput I will defantly give it a go.
The hen has a lovely nature and I have become very interested in this breed since having her. I was just going to keep her as a pet if I could't do much else with her. I am quite excitied about the prospect of being able to work with her now. Matilda isn't a sitter so my guess is most
Sultans a incubated. I bought one a couple of months ago so my next step
after finding a good Brahma is to find out if there is any special requirements incubating the Sultans. When I tested the incubator I had 5
deformed GL Wyandotties out of 10 that had me a bit puzzled but I am new to incubating. A couple were born but didn't make it after 4 hours.
Thank you for letting me know what to look out for in a Brahma as well another chook I like but will stick with the three types I have for now.
I am off to get married next weekend better late than never haha, so when I get back I will contact the Brahma Club and start my search.
Would you be able to tell me how many times you can cross birds of same type with 1st generation. I am starting to breed all my birds but unsure how long you can breed with that generation.
Oh I just thought about the lack of toes Matilda has only four toes where the Sultan has five or is the fith the Vulture Hock?? Sorry if this is a silly question.
Cheers
Flick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:39 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hi Flick, Its sounds as if congratulations are in order I hope the BIG DAY goes well for you. Its looks like the Sultans will need a bit more work, I did not relize that you did not have the 5th toe yet. You will need to introduce Houdan blood to bring in the 5 th toe which comes out of the leg just above where the short back toe is.

If you cant find a Houdan then a White or ermine Faverolle would be the next best choice. They also have 5 toes. The vulture hock is a bunch of stiff hard feathers that come out from the back of the leg/hock area. They do not curl around the back of the leg like the hock feathers in a Pekin or Cochin. Good luck I know you will get there but it will take 3 or 4 years at least to get there. The sooner you can start the better and I know you will end up with good Sultans as your base birds in the photos are an excellent start.

Contact the Faverolle Club thru B.Y.P to get addresses. When crossing unrealeated breeds like you will be doing, you can breed releated bird for a number of years with out any real issues. The idea of close breeding at the start of your venture is to lock in the features you are trying to secure into your strain i.e vulture hocks, 5 toes ect. There is more to it than that if you want to know more I would suggest reading up on line breeding and inbreading. Cheers