Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Chicks - Colour Sexing in Pekins?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:08 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:46 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi There,
My son's Kindergarten has 3 chickens - 2 Pekin Bantam Hens (Blue / lavendar in colour) and 1 black Pekin Bantam Rooster in with them. One of the hens has just hatched 2 chicks - one is a gorgeous little yellow / lavendar colour and the other has quite a lot of black big patches all over it. Could the different colours be an indication of sex? Of what kind of colour hens can you expect from 2 lavendar pekins and a black pekin rooster? Could there in fact be a mix?!
Thanks in advance for any advice.
I must add, we were looking after the hens over the holidays and it was so very exciting having the experience of our first hatch. Just beautiful and certainly mother nature at its best ....

1 Bantam Patridge Wyandotte - Lola
2 Lavendar Araucana's - Polly and Molly
1 Black Araucana - Blackie
1 Black Silkie - Fluffy
A selection of chookies I love for my small backyard .....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:45 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Hi Lorelei,

from my meagre amount of knowledge of such things i am sure i have been told that the only way you can get lavendar babies is by having 2 lavendar parents... someone like Ruff could tell you for sure, but im pretty sure thats right... so dont think they will be lavendar if Dad is black... and no, you wont be able to tell their sex from what colours they are, only time will tell!
my pekin babies that are born patchy usually end up being pure blacks.
good luck with it all! sounds like youre having lots of fun... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:34 am 
any black in the chick down means the chick is not lavender.

the rooster must be split (carry one gene for) lavender for the lavender hens to produce lavender. however all their chicks if they are not lavender will be split for lavender.

lavender is a gene that dilutes black and gold. this is what the lavender gene does to a brown stripey partridge chick:

[img][img]http://gallery.backyardpoultry.com/data/500/lav_eb.jpg[/img]

the lavender chicks are the paler chicks. they are identical in colour pattern to the darker chick but the lighter chicks are modified by lavender.

here is a closer look at the lavender. you can see the feint markings of lighter and darker bands:

[/img]Image.

lavender genes changes a black chick to a lavender colour. it barely changes a normal yellow wheaten chick, however if this chick was to have black stripes then the stripes would be lavender. as the wheaten chick grows the areas that would be black are lavender and the gold areas are very pale. if the cick was to grow up to be red then lavender changes the red to a pinkish colour...i am still working on a dark pink which would mean the parents were dark red like the RIR.

hope this helps a bit. lavender can get quite complicated on different colours and patterns but that complexity is not in the average pekins around yet (this includes the show lines) so don't worry about those.

k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:05 am 
PS none of this indicates colour sexing of chicks. apart from using sex linked genes (another story) you will not be able to tell chicks apart by colour. however a chicks grow there are 3 chick down colours where the the rooster will become a different colour to the hen, the roosters will be black red the hens will be wheaten or partridge depending on chick down.

experience with your chicks over many years can lead to a breeder being able to tell sexes at an early age through colour. however different strains do differ.

this a very simple explanation. if you happen to look at the game colours of pairs of birds (rooster and hen) then the sexual dimorphism becomes apparant.

k