Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - 30kg auto feeder for $30 (The Feedmaster 30 Mk5!)

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:00 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:39 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Oooo, I LIKE this. I may show it to Th'Bloke and see what he thinks (and yes, we have one of those chairs in the chookpen right now; it's handy for sitting and watching the chookies burble around). We've got some of the old metal bulk feeders but we now only use them when going away for a while; they also feed the wild birds and random rodents, so we have a lot of wastage for our peace of mind. (And the chooks only use them if there's absolutely no other source of food!!).

We'd have to find a way to keep the lid on tho' - we have serious winds up here and the ordinary catch on the Bunnings bins wouldn't be enough, and I'd hate to lose the full 30l of feed!

Love the cheap Bunnings bins - we've got five currently storing chook and dog feed in the garage and they're excellent at keeping the mice out.

A very, very nice and clean design; neat-looking and workable. Kudos!!

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:15 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Looks great. If I'd seen this before I bought the nosloc I probably wouldn't have bothered.

I had a cheap Bunnings bin originally, but the rats chewed a hole in it! So then I used a translucent barrel so I can see at a glance how much is left. Unfortunately the sun has perished the lid and it crumbled in my hands this weekend - I think it lasted about 18 months. I'm planning a new coop at the moment, so I'm thinking about how to fit an auto feeder in. I'd also like it to be refillable from outside the coop so it can be filled by my chookophobic brother when we're away.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:18 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Ok, so recently there was a little problem with sideways Ballarat rain getting into the feed tray and blocking it up. Would clump at the base so no feed could flow. I decided to attack it from a couple of angles, increase the size of the down pipe, and add a cover.

Quick trip to Bunnings, an $11 kids table and some other various bits and bobs (about $15 worth), and I present the Mk6.

I drilled a 100mm hole in the kids table and bin, and actually siliconed them together using a 100mm flange and rivets to join it all (I learned a few things in a plumbing course I did a couple of years back). So now there should be no problems with water getting into the feed. Happy fat well laying chooks once again :)

p.s. The spoil in the ground was from me testing so see if it was damp at all, been raining quite a lot here lately. There's actually minimal waste as the slots stop them from flicking it all over the place.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:02 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Nice. :claps:
Looks like it would be easy to adapt to different sizes for different needs, too. Necessity is the master of invention, hey. Have you got a Watermaster 30 Mk 1 yet? Maybe one that could self-fill from the rainwater on the coop roof??

You could make yourself some cash selling these at markets and poultry shows etc. I'd rather pay than make, and I'm sick of those perishing green & white/burgundy & white overpriced ones that can only hang to keep them off the floor.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:38 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I use one of these from water:
http://www.brookfieldpoultryequipment.c ... d=198&r=41
It if filled from a 3000lt tank connected to the carport, which supplies water to all my feathered friends :)

ellena_76 wrote:
You could make yourself some cash selling these at markets and poultry shows etc. I'd rather pay than make, and I'm sick of those perishing green & white/burgundy & white overpriced ones that can only hang to keep them off the floor.

I hear what you're saying! They're supposed to be UV treated etc, but I've gone through heaps of them in the past. Always getting brittle and breaking...
This has lasted 3 years now, with no damage or degradation, only issue was a 'design flaw' that didn't account for Ballarat sideways rain.

kenour wrote:
Have you got a Watermaster 30 Mk 1 yet? Maybe one that could self-fill from the rainwater on the coop roof??

I have created this for my geese and ducks viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7998297

I'm considering a smaller version for the chickens, the self cleaning feature is what I'm after. Because the rim on the drinker I use at the moment is so small, it tends to mank up after a week or so. Which is fine, I just clean it out. Where as the geese/duck water stays clean as it 'flushes' once a day. All you get is a build up of shell grit at the bottom, which I can just scoop out as required.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:58 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

http://youtu.be/c-SZE2XaK7Y :thumbs:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:41 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

About time for the Mk7! Just did an update and thought I better post it :laughing

Recently Eggs 4 Sure has gotten a little more dustier than usual I've found (is it just me?), it's been clogging up the feeder to the point where I've been scooping out the build up once a week or so to let the new feed flow.

I decided to put my new hobby (3D Printing) to use and design something that'll hopefully let out the dust and keep the feed flowing.

This is my first attempt, designed it last night, printed it today, just installed it, we'll see how it goes :)

Attachment:
IMG_20191113_203948.jpg
IMG_20191113_203948.jpg [ 282.96 KiB | Viewed 538 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_20191113_204854.jpg
IMG_20191113_204854.jpg [ 375.07 KiB | Viewed 538 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_20191113_205041.jpg
IMG_20191113_205041.jpg [ 291.11 KiB | Viewed 538 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_20191113_205108.jpg
IMG_20191113_205108.jpg [ 136.13 KiB | Viewed 538 times ]