Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - DIY Automatic Chicken Coop Door

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:50 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:05 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks Denis,
When you mentioned my proposal draws twice as much current at night, are you referring to the power to run the timer switches? The power to the raise/lower system is only used for 1 minute in the morning and 1 minute at dusk, so very low power usage and nothing overnight.

Greg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:13 pm 

Just received the last of my parts to make my auto coop door, so hopefully will have a success story with pics to post soon.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:08 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Woo hoo! Look foward to it!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:35 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi guys.
I just wanted to chime in and say that this is an awesome thread!
I ordered my parts earlier in the week and expect them to arrive tomorrow.

I did have a question about the limit switches but answered it when i started writing my question. :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:20 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I also built something very similar to this that runs from a battery and solar panel. Good luck with the project!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:56 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I want to be able to try something like this where the door is hinged on the side to open and close INSTEAD of needing to be lifted.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/order-his ... ers_first&

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:38 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Can't see the link provided (Amazon members only).

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 6:47 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I know It has been awhile since the last post and you probably have it all figured out BUT........

I can't see any of the pictures you posted. Most likely due to photobuckets insanely low free storage and the fact they won't let you link to your own picture unless you pay.

However judging by other people's posts, the timer you are using is a single pole double throw. If I am correct and you already had the best solution the entire time (pun intended). You just need two of them and that cuts out all the issues of relays and power drain. After you wire the timers for power, all you have to do is simply:

Wire Positive to the NO (Normally Open) terminals of the timers and wire Negative the to the NC (Normally Closed) terminals of the timers.
The Commons of the timers are the wired to Positive and Negative of the Actuator Wires. Day timer turns on in the morning for , let's say five minutes (just long enough for the door to open fully, is all that's needed), then the timer shuts off. Do the same for the night timer.

The timers and motor only run a minimum of 2 mins for the entire day. Look up car power windows and locks. It's about the same thing.

The diagram I am linking is a linear actuator using external limits (requested by another forum) Just replace actuator with motor. Also the timers are a DIN rail type but your SPDT timers will work the same.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1guGL4 ... tyB8Q8nisF

Attachments:
Two SPDT Timers Linear Actuator Using External Limit Switches s.png
Two SPDT Timers Linear Actuator Using External Limit Switches s.png [ 887.6 KiB | Viewed 70 times ]

Last edited by Mouthpear on Mon May 25, 2020 11:59 am, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 2:51 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Hi Mouthpear;
I can see pics on the first couple of pages.
Most are just the one timer that connect to a separate DPDT relay. The one timer activates or deactivates the DPDT relay.
So the timer is ON during the time you want door open and OFF when you want it closed. (or vice versa).

Yours is an interesting solution and one that would work. The added advantage of yours seems to be having no relays turned on for most of the day, but loses a little by having to power 2 timers 24/7 as opposed to one.

As an aside something relatively new is the SmartSwitches, (SONOFF) etc. As long as your chookhouse is within your home WiFi range then I would go with one of them and a DPDT relay. They are kind of fun and you can program them with your phone as well as open and shut your door at any time from anywhere in world.
Where they are really useful would be when you want to shut (or open) the door at other times. Say you want to lock them in one day to catch them. Then you don't actually have to go to the chookhouse and press the timer.

Just an idea you might like Mouthpear because you certainly know your stuff. Well done.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:45 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Denis wrote:
Most are just the one timer that connect to a separate DPDT relay. The one timer activates or deactivates the DPDT relay.
So the timer is ON during the time you want door open and OFF when you want it closed. (or vice versa).

I am not a big fan of the One Timer and DPDT relay system. I once was. The Problem is "So the timer is ON during the time you want door open and OFF when you want it closed. (or vice versa)." Both the relay 48.9mA and the timer 23.6mA are 72.5mA on all day . When off the timer only pulls 4.9mA and th relay pulls nothing.

Now the setup I linked to before will only pull 9.68mA all day and only 35.3mA for two mins of the day. You can even get that down to ONLY 4.8mA all day and only 35.3mA for two mins of the day by wiring it up like the next image I will show you.

Attachment:
Two SPDT Timers LS Power Cutoff s.png
Two SPDT Timers LS Power Cutoff s.png [ 392.35 KiB | Viewed 58 times ]

The next Images are when I was testing and showing others in another forum.

Attachment:
20200517_124919.jpg
20200517_124919.jpg [ 1.25 MiB | Viewed 68 times ]

Attachment:
20200517_124942.jpg
20200517_124942.jpg [ 1.37 MiB | Viewed 68 times ]

Attachment:
20200517_125343.jpg
20200517_125343.jpg [ 1.02 MiB | Viewed 68 times ]

Attachment:
20200517_125335.jpg
20200517_125335.jpg [ 1.03 MiB | Viewed 68 times ]

Last edited by Mouthpear on Mon May 25, 2020 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:51 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Denis wrote:
Hi Mouthpear;
I can see pics on the first couple of pages.

Images continued

Attachment:
20200517_131356.jpg
20200517_131356.jpg [ 999.25 KiB | Viewed 67 times ]
Attachment:
20200517_131442.jpg
20200517_131442.jpg [ 865.66 KiB | Viewed 67 times ]
Attachment:
20200517_132300.jpg
20200517_132300.jpg [ 1.11 MiB | Viewed 67 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:30 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Yours is a really good setup Mouthpear. But the thread is nearly 10 years old and these days I'd look at the smart switches as opposed to the timers.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:27 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Denis wrote:
Yours is a really good setup Mouthpear. But the thread is nearly 10 years old and these days I'd look at the smart switches as opposed to the timers.

Yes I know how old this thread is, that's why I mentioned that very subject as the very first thing I said. The way I see it Any knowledge is worth revisiting. You that's why we have libraries filled with old book of past technology that is not even in use anymore and still people will go back to them, for whatever reason. Besides the post before mine was only a few months ago. I figured that if no one told them anything about it being old that it the same when I replied. Also it seems that this subject and you thread gets a bit of attention, not only for your benefit, I give information freely for the benefit of other who are still using timers.

I am not exactly sure what you are saying when you say " I'd look at the smart switches as opposed to the timers." There are several ways of taking that. But I'll just bring up the two most likely.
As in:
1. I (I meaning you) don't need this information I have moved to smart switches.
2. If I were you, I wouldn't bother with timers anymore...

1. Well good that you did do whatever was good for you.
2. I already have several different options of making an automatic door. From simple timers, photocells, Astronomical timers, WiFi control modules, RF control modules, Arduino controlled automation and even Home automation switches. Thing is that the simple timer setup is still the number one option, as for my personal observation of any forums of people asking about and building of automated coop doors. Why is simple, because they are simple and can be low cost and solar charged battery back up. Specially since most coops are not near the house.

I could go on but that's not what this thread is about. Whether or not people still use timers. I was just sticking to the topic.

Last thing. That one in the pictures is not my setup. It's just one of the many demo setups that I made to show others how their can be done, going off of the information they gave of their own setup. Kinda like the hanging skeleton teachers have in their school classrooms.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:09 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Any reason you don't use a 2 channel timer ?

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 6:14 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Denis wrote:
Any reason you don't use a 2 channel timer ?

There is ABSOLUTELY (not yelling just emphasizing, You made me smile asking that) no reason that I wouldn't use a 2 channel timer or even a 3 channel timer.

The one in this video is a 2 channel timer that I have set up to test itself, how long the battery would last and the speeds of three different Linear Actuators.
https://www.youtube.com/.watch?v=7Oykm8 ... tecWarrior

This next video I have is the 3 channel timer (Black Digital box in center) set up to be a Test/Demo of the automatic laser through beam safety feature using relays.
https://www.youtube.com/.watch?v=nFGbOL ... tecWarrior

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next