Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - electronic mice control

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:38 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: electronic mice control
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:36 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

I read a post about solar powered snake controllers, is there ones for mice and do they work well without upsetting the avairy birds?thanks Mycoola.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:06 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

We tried the electronic mouse deterrent that was advertised on tv and it didn't seem to do anything, I watched a mouse walk right next to it several times, so we just resorted back to using ratsak and that got rid of them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:26 am 
Great Game
Great Game

Yeah i think they probably all fishy and don't work, iv'e heard some mice are getting resistant to ratsak now and i have been using TOPCAT brand which seems to work well. But it's hard to use any poisen in avairies . I might buy another ketch all spring loaded trap, i had one for years untill it rusted away. I made a wire trap with a push up flap that you put something in to entice them to enter but they can't get back out, works o.k. Steel wool in the gaps that they enter through slows them down too. or silicone but doesn't last as long. I might try the sock on the bottle with peanut butter in the neck trick too. An old trick too was to mix flour and cement and let them eat it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:28 am 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

There was a discussion of flour and cement in another thread with the general consensus that it actually does nothing at all.

We find the simple, live-traps work the best. Bait them with whatever they're eating, make sure they don't smell all new and shiny, and clean them regularly.

Having said that, we cleaned the garage recently and a huge nest of them was found in an old grow-your-own-mushrooms kit. If we'd've been faster we could have made a major dint in the local population, but it made me think ... maybe we should line a garbage bin with straw, encourage mice into it for a week, then clap a lid on it and dispose of the result ...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:54 am 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Rats and mice are not going to become resistant to ratsak or similar substances containing anticoagulants like warfarin.

Warfarin has been used in medicine for many years to treat people with strokes and heart attacks caused by clotting in the blood stream.

The clotting of blood is a series of chemical and physical reactions that happen and the anticoagulants interupt one of the critical reactions. For those interested, google "process of coagulation". It will explain how it happens.

Its more likely that the rats and mice are choosing not to eat the ratsak because of the availablity of other feed or the placements of the baits.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:21 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

I think one problem we have is if there is bird feed available why would the mice bother eating the poison. Years ago a mate gave me a sample of poison that smelt like chocolate cheese cake and boy the mice would try to eat through steel to get to it! :shock: . I thinking maybe i could sprinkle chocolate powder on the poison, or cinnamon,peanut butter etc. Anybody had any success adding attractant to the bates.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:34 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Peanut butter definately works - havn't tried the others you mentioned.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:08 pm 
Hello,

Electronic mouse anti-agents work under utilizing high-recurrence sounds to push mice from nourishment sources and settling grounds inside human homes. Sonic or ultrasonic gadgets have been touted as anti-agents for everything from bugs to creepy crawlies to rodents, explicitly rodents and mice. There are numerous brands of these electric gadgets that are said to radiate either a sonic or ultrasonic wave, which these bugs purportedly find disturbing. Some are sold explicitly to repulse rodents. Notwithstanding, there is little information that these gadgets repulse creepy crawlies or are successful in rat control.