Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - For Those interested In Sicilian Buttercups & Hornets

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:09 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:54 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

New England Poultry wrote:
Sicilian Hornet is not new..I saw a rare French breed that looks the same in the first photo.Can't think of the breeds name but I'm sure it come in red colour and a black colour and some in splash colour.

So what's so important about this birds..I must be missing the point :dontknow

Are you thinking of La Fleche?

Ah yes. I see now, that there is another page of comments and that has been discussed.

Go back 100 years or more in France (and across Europe), and villages were more isolated, so the breeds that evolved in those places were different to one another, but maybe not a lot different. travellers would have sold poultry. The Crevecouer goes back longer than some of the other breeds. Houdans have inpot from Creve's, Dorkings (hence the 5 toes), and Polish. Birds were breed to suit their environments, and their owners requirements. So what's new? well most of those breeds don't exist in Australia, and they aren't new. They go back a good few decades, if not centuries.

I have Houdans and they are somewhat undersized. I intend to put the cockerel over 4 of my smallish black (Black/birchen) Brahma hens, and see what i get. I'm hoping for a compact and tasty bird for the table, but I'm interested to see if I get anything approaching a Crevecouer, with a horned comb.

Sorry for drifting off topic. I will rein myself in now. I'm interested in the comb genetics though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:26 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

This thread has had some moderation (by several mods and admins) some posts that were removed and the general discussion regarding breed recreation was split off and moved to here

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8026655

Please use this thread for posts specifically about Buttercups and Hornets.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:08 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

One site with many examples of hetrezygote specimen of Hornets. They too are working to resurrect the breed.

http://freeforumzone.leonardo.it/d/1056 ... px/2?#last

http://freeforumzone.leonardo.it/d/1050 ... px/6?#last

Last edited by byhookorchook on Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:12 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

byhookorchook - this link is not working for me. It seems to need a login. Could you please check?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:12 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

One example but poor of Siciliana Uncorno as this one doesn't look as bred, rather that one horn either didn't form correctly or was pecked off.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:15 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

THat is correct, same as here it is a messageboard which you sing on to. But well worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:29 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

byhookorchook,
Just reading this post and I am captivated by your endeavours to re create these breeds, finding this post interesting reading, I am relatively new to poultry keeping and I am particularly interested in breed combo's/cross breeding, must say as yet haven't been able to get my head around the genetics side of things seems some what complicated.
As a matter of interest I have a rooster and up until now I thought he was some what of a freak so to speak, only because his comb starts of normal from the front and then midway splits into two all the way to the back of his comb, similar to the photo's in the beginning of this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:31 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

This one is to show a Mediterranean tail which was my other critiscism of the other buttercups from bottom page one. This buttercup cockerel was the full brother to the hetrezygote example shown earlier.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:42 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Klondyke wrote:
byhookorchook,
Just reading this post and I am captivated by your endeavours to re create these breeds, finding this post interesting reading, I am relatively new to poultry keeping and I am particularly interested in breed combo's/cross breeding, must say as yet haven't been able to get my head around the genetics side of things seems some what complicated.
As a matter of interest I have a rooster and up until now I thought he was some what of a freak so to speak, only because his comb starts of normal from the front and then midway splits into two all the way to the back of his comb, similar to the photo's in the beginning of this thread.

Put up a picture of it when you can.

For anyone that's interested photobucket album that goes back around 10 years even to the point where I bought back Phoenix and Yokos from Adelaide, showed them to John Hobbs and spread them around the different states.
http://s22.photobucket.com/user/byhookorchook/library/?sort=3&page=1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:20 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

A most interesting topic Fank, well done, and by the way your Hornets look fantastic. The best looking new breed I've ever seen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:29 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

thanks. A new breed is not a breed unless it breeds true, which it does.

What benefit does a new breed have when other older breeds are already declining?

It obviously had to be so intrinsically different to anything already here. It does have an egg laying capability (white), but its main attribute I think is that its a beauty to look at and admire.......ie for show.

For true breeders with a little flair, it is challenging enough, rather than self colours, replicating one generation upon another, this would be just that more up a breeders niche for difficulty.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:43 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Frank's specialty breeder's page has just been constructed on Backyard Poultry. You can view it here: http://www.backyardpoultry.com/sicilian-buttercups/

If anybody else wants a similar free page to promote their breed, their organisation or their group, and they can provide access to information and images, they should contact me about it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:26 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I am thrilled by this season's results so far. I have been fortunate in obtaining both heterozygote and homozygote Hornets and Buttercups as well. I am sharing a few images of success and failure. The twins was an unexpected result as the egg was pretty much normal size.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:29 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:58 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I've also added Unicorns to the Sicilian page as its the next project associated with all the Sicilian type fowls.

Sicilian Buttercups, Hornets & Unicorns Group Page

https://www.facebook.com/ButtercupsHornetsGroup

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next