Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Coccidiosis immunity / resistance

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:21 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:38 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

orego-stim is a marvelous product 100% natural and greatly reduces cocci and blackhead. the deep litter method if done properly will do wonders and hydrated lime is a great help.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:07 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

jaxjaps1, could you give some more information on this please.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:21 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

GF, until we here again from jax, here is a link to a study on the use of essential oregano oil after experimental infection with E. tenella: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12866780

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:41 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Hmm. Sounds a bit like another silver bullet reached the target but failed to penetrate.

In other words has some effect but is no better than traditional proven treatments.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:07 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Personally, I wouldn't use it as a replacement for proven drugs, but in Germany, it's used widely to maintain general gut health, apparently with good results. So, for general gut health, but not particularly as an effective coccidiosis preventative, it might be a good additive but not a cure. Successful blackhead (histomoniasis) treatment with oregano oil seems to have been proven by the Institut für Geflügel-Infektionskrankheiten (Institute of Infectious Poultry Diseases) at the Justus-Liebig-University in Gießen, Germany.
Nigella oil is another product that is widely used in Germany.

I'll see whether I can find some studies that I can translate in the relevant points if people are interested. So far, I only know of mostly anecdotal health benefits.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:37 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

It may be good to use if you have had an outbreak of Coccidiosis (after proven drugs have been used) as it claims to repair the intestinal lining. There is no information on the results of the studies and trials (that I could find) that have been carried out, but they are apparently available upon request.

There have been a lot of trails, tests and studies carried out, mainly in India on using Turmeric as a preventative for Coccidiosis with published results that are freely available.

I think Coccidiosis is the biggest health issue with poultry, and of course there are a lot of husbandry things that can be done to prevent it and if there are other things and way of prevention then I am listening.

I have done things a bit differently with my chicks this time, improved husbandry and experimenting with using Turmeric and so far I havent had any issues. Weather what I am doing is working or I have just 'been lucky' this time I cant say but I will continue on this way.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:58 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

sorry have been busy over Christmas and away fishing. orego-stim is now used by seedhouse in their chicken starter and grower starter. my understanding is that at some stage antibiotics were to be removed from animal foods and this natural product would take its place. i have found since i started using it that the blackhead problem i have had for over 20 years has disappeared, no death in three years now (have been using orego-stim for that length of time). cocci has disappeared by about 80%. outbreaks now in older chickens only and few and far between. general health greatly improved and egg laying increased. there is a good lot of information on the meridan web site about their product and the trials conducted. if it is purchased in the concentrated form it works out a cheap and effective tonic for all poultry and other farm aniamls.
If you wish to go surfing the net there is also a lot of info on how to correctly use the deep litter method which is also very beneficial when it comes to controlling cocci

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:28 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I am not familiar with Seedhouse starters and growers. Have not seen them in Victoria. How do you use/feed this product Jaxjaps? And you obviously feed it to chicks and adult birds?

I could not find any published results for this product, however they were available 'upon request'.

If you could expand on your use that would be grateful. It sounds a little like DE.

:th

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:48 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

seedhouse is a tasmanian distributor, their products are used by just about everyone here. they make a chick starter and grower that is just a crushed feed of varying grains, etc that has had orego-stim added instead of a cocci vaccine. they are balanced for the correct protein, etc. levels for the appropiate growth requirements. they also make 3 different types of feed for laying, show and backyard hens, all based on grain mixes.if you go to the tas rare breeds web site Isaac has set up a link to the meridan web site. there have been trials done and i think from memory you can track them down through that. they must be somewhere as i have a printed off trial filed amongst my chook stuff. orego-stim was first put out for pigeon breeders but then bvecame popular for all animals, calves, pigs, etc. it is as liquid concentrate, thick and white in colour with a glorious aroma. it stops a lot of stressing and helps with swhell strength in eggs as well as general health. i have been using it for a few years now and would not stop. it has been 99% beneficial for blackhead, which was in the soil when I started keeping poultry here. it has certainly helped heaps with cocci, but it not a cure but a preventative. it works by forcing the animal to shed the inner lining of the stomach in a 1 to 2 days instead of 3 to 4 days thereby not giving the bugs time to settle in, so to speak. i recommend it to everyone big and small. it is used world wide by the big commercial egg producers.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:17 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Here is a link to the information sheet.

http://www.meriden-ah.com/information-centre/by-product-name/orego-stim/orego-stim-poultry/90-coccidiosis-in-poultry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:52 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

GF,

Like Seedhouse, Vella Stock feeds uses an oregano based coccidiostat as well

I observe in fascination a worm move by peristaltic action through the freshly turned earth as I plant out my chilies. Grasping the Annelid I toss it to the waiting pack of beady-eyed vultures and watch the ensuing mayhem while laughing like a chook!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:42 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Back on the original subject of maternal transmission of coccidiosis immunity this link relates, particularly the paragraph headed "Maternal immunization studies".

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 209.x/full

I am fairly convinced that in the backyard situation a good background population of the various coccidia species is beneficial.
Moderators feel free to return this topic to "Breeds and breeding" if you consider it more appropriate.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:57 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Going back to the original question slightly ... I do raise some of my chicks without medicated feed. These are the ones either "wild-raised" under broodies in the larger runs, or where I've got the chicks growing out in my large areas.

When I started raising chicks, I had the WORST problems with cocci. Sometimes I'd lose over 50%. It was driving me insane.

Then I noticed that the hens raising their own clutches didn't seem to have the same issues. They were ranging over an enclosed garden almost 800 sq metres in area. The chicks didn't stay in the same around long enough to ingest their wet, cocci-rich droppings, and were scratching in dustdry clay soil most of the time. We just don't do humidity down here.

Because they were in with the main flock, I fed them unmedicated feed, so I could keep eating the eggs of the adults.

I then tried the hand-raised chicks on a similar system. Unmedicated chick feed, a huge pen, and Amprolium and Baycox on hand to treat the water in case of an outbreak.

To my shock, it worked. On the different feed, they just grew and grew. I treated ONLY if I noticed that early slowness - and that first time, I only needed to treat once. Caught it in time, lost not a single bird.

I've been playing with these systems ever since. I am using medicated feed where the chicks are hand-raised in relatively small brooders and not on the ground, but unmedicated when raised in the pens. Always Amprolium and Baycox, at ~cide (ie kill), not ~stat (prevent) doses. I haven't even needed Baycox for a couple of years now.

So, some unscientifiec observations:

* Breed matters. Marans are shocking. Wyandotte not much better. Araucana so-so. Leghorns and lorps and whacko crossbreeds are excellent.

* local matters. Birds raised on my soil seem to hatch chicks with fewer issues.

* drug type matters. Amprolium and Baycox, nothing else.

* feed matters. I now use higher-protein chick feeds, whether medicated or unmedicated. Red Hen unmedicated is still about the best though.

* space matters. So many issues besetting chooks and chicks seem to go away if you bung the birds in the middle of acreage ...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:40 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Four years and many hundreds of chickens later. No prophylactic coccidiostats fed. Zero incidence of coccidiosis in less than perfect conditions in a wet climate. The only precaution is perfectly clean drinking water via drinker nipples.
The self-appointed oracles have largely disappeared but I guess they would say it's just luck.